Valmy, I guess I owe you an apology... or Belief'o'matic

Started by Martinus, May 15, 2009, 07:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2009, 08:53:33 AM
You can be a Jew who secretly believes in Jesus.

Besides, as far as I can tell, no question asked if you believe in Jesus. Are you retarded? :)
A few questions did explicitly mention Christ.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 18, 2009, 08:55:37 AM

Besides, as far as I can tell, no question asked if you believe in Jesus. Are you retarded? :)
Err, which ones?

Ed Anger

All you fucking Unitarians suck. Goddamn pussy church.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2009, 09:01:00 AM

Err, which ones?
Just went through it again, seems like only question 4 mentions Christ.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 18, 2009, 09:07:31 AM

Err, which ones?

The question asks something about "God (or Christ)". This question does NOT ask you whether you believe in Christ, since choosing this answer may simply mean you believe in God that is not Christ.

Yet, when I said that no question asks you if you believe in Christ, you claimed they do.  :huh:

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2009, 09:11:46 AM
The question asks something about "God (or Christ)". This question does NOT ask you whether you believe in Christ, since choosing this answer may simply mean you believe in God that is not Christ.

Yet, when I said that no question asks you if you believe in Christ, you claimed they do.  :huh:

I'm surprised they didn't bother including a question like that-- it would have done a much better job filtering the final results.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 18, 2009, 09:07:31 AM

Err, which ones?

I said it mentioned Christ, I didn't say it asked if you believed in him, that was derspiess.

1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 18, 2009, 09:20:01 AM
I said it mentioned Christ, I didn't say it asked if you believed in him, that was derspiess.

I said that? :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on May 18, 2009, 09:17:18 AM

I'm surprised they didn't bother including a question like that-- it would have done a much better job filtering the final results.
That would miss the point of the test completely. The purpose of the test was to take your cosmological, spiritual and moral views and give you the religion that is closest to your views. If we used your approach, they could also ask questions like "Are you a Buddhist?".

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2009, 09:26:43 AM
That would miss the point of the test completely. The purpose of the test was to take your cosmological, spiritual and moral views and give you the religion that is closest to your views. If we used your approach, they could also ask questions like "Are you a Buddhist?".

No.  The belief in Christ is fundamental to any mainstream Christian sect.  So much that if you don't believe in Christ, that should drop your compatibility down to 0%

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 18, 2009, 09:47:12 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 18, 2009, 09:02:34 AM
All you fucking Unitarians suck. Goddamn pussy church.
Even naysayers are welcome. :pope:

I'll stick with lying and going to a baptist church with its Saturday breakfasts.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on May 18, 2009, 09:34:03 AM
No.  The belief in Christ is fundamental to any mainstream Christian sect.  So much that if you don't believe in Christ, that should drop your compatibility down to 0%

:huh: Isn't it kind of a moot point, since no sect that denies the divinity of Christ actually claims to be Christian anyway?  At least, not AFAIK.  Right around the time that the Unitarian Church removed all dogma from its belief system is when everyone (Unitarians included) agreed they were no longer Christian, or at least not exclusively Christian (since individual Unitarians can believe in Christ's divinity if they choose to).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 18, 2009, 09:49:09 AM
I'll stick with lying and going to a baptist church with its Saturday breakfasts.
Pancakes?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on May 18, 2009, 10:06:17 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 18, 2009, 09:49:09 AM
Pancakes?

That and waffles, biscuits and gravy and god's gift to us all, bacon.