News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Presidential Election!

Started by Kleves, October 23, 2012, 02:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who gets your vote for President of the United States of America?

I'm an American and I vote for Obama - just the man to turn American around after four miserable years
24 (29.6%)
I'm an American and I vote for Romney - his day one job: get ride of Obamacare and then strip America down and sell it for parts
14 (17.3%)
I'm not an American, but I would vote for Obama - a weak and apologetic America pleases me
30 (37%)
I'm not an American, but I would vote for Romney - a Mormon in the White House? That will be hilarious!
3 (3.7%)
I am American, and I waste my vote by voting for a third party
6 (7.4%)
I am not an American, but I would vote for Jaron
4 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Phillip V

Quote from: Kleves on November 02, 2012, 09:48:57 AM
I don't understand why Romney hasn't been trying to compete in more states before this last week. It's not like he's out of money. Was he worried that if he put money into states in which the polls didn't move, he would look bad or something?
Romney was out of money in August/September, even having to take out a $20 million loan. Everybody was depressed until the turnaround during the October 4 debate. Prior to that, Obama was leading by 10-15 points in states like Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

derspiess

Quote from: Kleves on November 02, 2012, 09:01:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 02, 2012, 07:36:23 AM
October Jobs Report issued today:  171,000 jobs created, 7.9% unemployment rate.
I bet Romney wishes he could have gotten that extra .1%.

And he'll get it retroactively when the unemployment figures are revised upwards next week.  The same as has happened for the last 80 weeks or whatever.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

NV early voting ends today. 575k in so far, 42% Dem, 37% Rep, 21% Independent

That's almost half the eligible voters.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on November 02, 2012, 08:23:13 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 01, 2012, 09:32:03 PM
Romney should be winning Colorado and Nevada. /shrug
Aren't they full of potheads and hookers respectively? :unsure:

And Mormons. Lots and lots of Mormons.

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 02, 2012, 11:37:07 AM

I take it this is one of those states where it is easier to get third party candidates on the ballot.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 02, 2012, 11:37:54 AM
And Mormons. Lots and lots of Mormons.

Yeah they are an infernal virus, infecting all of the western states.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2012, 12:11:32 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 02, 2012, 11:37:07 AM

I take it this is one of those states where it is easier to get third party candidates on the ballot.
Not sure.  I think that percentage of independents is typically a function of how open the primaries are.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 06:49:04 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 01, 2012, 05:08:41 PM
How would you feel coming to the operating table with a 1 in 4 chance of dying? 

That's a pretty shitty analogy.  If I had a greater chance of dying without the operation I'd feel pretty good about it.  And despite all the hype, this election ain't analogous to life and death regardless of which guy wins.

Hypothetically, would you pay me 3:1 if we bet on this?

What about the death panels?  That seems kinda life and death.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

What does 21% independent mean? They voted for neither Romney nor Obama?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on November 02, 2012, 12:54:34 PM
What does 21% independent mean? They voted for neither Romney nor Obama?

They are not registered to either the Republican or Democratic Party, but registered Independent--which does not necessarily mean the Independent Party.

Some states have open primaries, which allow Independents to vote in the GOP or Dem primaries, without being members of those parties.

MadImmortalMan

Right. Those numbers are not who they voted for, but what party the voters in question were registered with. He cannot give out the actual votes right now.

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 02, 2012, 01:02:23 PM
Right. Those numbers are not who they voted for, but what party the voters in question were registered with. He cannot give out the actual votes right now.

Ah ok I thought 21% had all voted third party.  Damn I was getting excited there.

Zanza

Is there some kind of "party membership" in addition to registration in America? As in you are actually on their books, pay a membership fee and vote in party internal decisions? E.g. who elects the chairman of the RNC/DNC?

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on November 02, 2012, 01:11:44 PM
Is there some kind of "party membership" in addition to registration in America? As in you are actually on their books, pay a membership fee and vote in party internal decisions? E.g. who elects the chairman of the RNC/DNC?

Party membership only concerns voting in primaries and caucasing.  At least in my county.  And you can switch parties for every election if you want.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on November 02, 2012, 01:11:44 PM

That's a separate thing.  As a registered voter for a party, you're "on their books" to the extent that they know who you are and where you live--but your participation in the respective parties is pretty much completely optional.