Debate III, the one just for Languish: US Foreign Policy

Started by CountDeMoney, October 22, 2012, 06:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on October 23, 2012, 02:49:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2012, 02:48:34 PM
I don't get the bayonet thing-- they are just as widely used as they ever were, possibly even more so now since they're more functional.

I thought only the Marines used bayonets now, as the Army stopped using them some 5-10 years ago. :unsure:

Yeah, but the Marine Corps is bigger now than it was in 1916.  ZOMG THE DARKIE LIED TO AMERICA ONCE AGAIN FOUL FOUL FOUL

Just means we can impale more fetuses now than in 1916.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 23, 2012, 02:51:57 PM
Bah, the kid's a borderline autistic stat wonk, and he believes in numbers above everything--and everybody--else.

Even autistic number-worshiping stat wonks are corruptible.  But we'll find out in 2 weeks.  Unless there's 2000-like silliness of course.  I also flew down to Argentina in November 2000 not knowing who the hell my next president would be.

QuoteBesides, it all comes down to who gets their voters out more, and who gets suppressed.

I saw today that Ohio has to reissue new Board of Election info mailers, as the previous batch said the election was on Thursday, oops.  Nice try, you assholes.

They stole a page out of my book :angry:  I have a habit this time of the election year of telling all known Democrat acquaintances of mine to be sure to make their voices heard on Election Thursday.  Purely in jest of course :ph34r:

Oh and I'm thinking of putting up my own billboard warning of the penalty for election fraud :menace:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 23, 2012, 02:49:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2012, 02:48:34 PM
I don't get the bayonet thing-- they are just as widely used as they ever were, possibly even more so now since they're more functional.

I thought only the Marines used bayonets now, as the Army stopped using them some 5-10 years ago. :unsure:

Pretty sure the Army is still using them. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2012, 03:01:38 PM
Unless there's 2000-like silliness of course.  I also flew down to Argentina in November 2000 not knowing who the hell my next president would be.

So, not totally unlike Argentina at the time, then.  :lol:

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 23, 2012, 03:06:28 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2012, 03:01:38 PM
Unless there's 2000-like silliness of course.  I also flew down to Argentina in November 2000 not knowing who the hell my next president would be.

So, not totally unlike Argentina at the time, then.  :lol:

2000 was stable.  Calm before the storm. 

Christmas-New Years 2001-2002 was when all the fun stuff was going on.  And it was a hoot.  They had 3 different presidents while I was there including Joe Pesci:

Non-stop demonstrations & riots downtown.  But back at the in-laws house in the burbs it was just another holiday season :D

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 23, 2012, 03:08:48 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2012, 03:04:07 PM
Pretty sure the Army is still using them.

ChaCha says not since 2010.

Did they give a source?  Because ChaCha isn't necessarily authoritative.  I used to be a guide ;)

MadBurgerMaker

I don't know about chacha, but there's still a page on army.mil talking about the M9 bayonet using present tense.   Hard to link using my phone.  Also, we still have a lot of cavalry units, if that was something else one of them really said.   They just tend to use armored stuff instead of horses now.

garbon

So am I right in thinking that the main reason that there are congress dems and repubs pushing for more tank production is because they have constituents that work in tank production?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2012, 02:46:52 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 23, 2012, 02:18:24 PM
Nate Silver on 538 still has Obama at a 70% chance of winning the election. Nate also says that Ohio is pretty much the tipping state in this election at this stage of the game. Right now, most polls have Ohio going for Obama, so DGuller might be winning after all.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

Nate Silver is an admitted Obamaite and I'm starting to trust him a bit less than I used to. 

Oh, also Obama is down to 57.3 on Intrade NOW'S THE TIME TO BUY MORE :)

That is the way isn't it?  Something I you don't want to hear "OMG LIBERUL BIAS!!!!!111oneelven".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 23, 2012, 03:17:40 PM
I don't know about chacha, but there's still a page on army.mil talking about the M9 bayonet using present tense.   Hard to link using my phone.  Also, we still have a lot of cavalry units, if that was something else one of them really said.   They just tend to use armored stuff instead of horses now.

After a quick search it looks like the only thing that happened in 2010 was that they replaced bayonet drills with more PT in basic training.  I'm sure it's still done in infantry AIT and other training.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2012, 03:23:00 PM
That is the way isn't it?  Something I you don't want to hear "OMG LIBERUL BIAS!!!!!111oneelven".

No.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2012, 03:20:37 PM
So am I right in thinking that the main reason that there are congress dems and repubs pushing for more tank production is because they have constituents that work in tank production?

The more tanks the better.  I've never heard of an army with too many tanks. 

On top of that, the tanks in front of our VFW buildings are starting to fall apart and need to be replaced.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2012, 03:27:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2012, 03:20:37 PM

The more tanks the better.  I've never heard of an army with too many tanks. 

On top of that, the tanks in front of our VFW buildings are starting to fall apart and need to be replaced.

British army, 1944.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2012, 03:14:13 PM
Did they give a source?  Because ChaCha isn't necessarily authoritative.  I used to be a guide ;)

The Washington Post

Edit: Just read through the rest of this thread. It seems to me that if they've stopped training in the use of bayonets, they are not likely to actually, you know, use them.

In addition, Time points out that even the Marines, who do still train, rarely use them.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...