Debate III, the one just for Languish: US Foreign Policy

Started by CountDeMoney, October 22, 2012, 06:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2012, 10:52:47 AM
Romney made it seem there wasnt much difference between them on foriegn policy negating his apparent weakness going into the debate.  On top of that it was boring to watch.

I give the strategic victory to Romney.   Obama probably didnt score enough points to make up the ground he lost in the first debate.

Maybe. Romney was just playing safe. He didn't lose his cool. He didn't make any big fuckups. The Obama campaign clearly still thought they had to be in attack mode. Obama was a complete spaz compared to his normal personality. There was really no substance in the whole thing, just the two of them trying to give their planned impression.

My overall "impression" was one of Obama crashing against Romney like waves at the beach hitting the rocks. How much got eroded I dunno. That's not the stuff I look for anyway. No substance means I'm bored.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: Zanza on October 23, 2012, 12:07:24 PM
From what I can tell from the reports, the Eurozone crisis wasn't mentioned. You have to wonder whether e.g. the civil war in Syria or the economic depression in Europe is more relevant to American foreign policy interests.

Eurozone hasn't been as violent, so it hasn't held our attention as much :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

celedhring

Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2012, 12:13:04 PM
From what I can tell from the reports, the Eurozone crisis wasn't mentioned. You have to wonder whether e.g. the civil war in Syria or the economic depression in Europe is more relevant to American foreign policy interests.

Eurozone hasn't been as violent, so it hasn't held our attention as much :P

Just wait, it takes a while to get used to exterminating ourselves again.

CountDeMoney

On the contrary;  Romney said we're on our way to becoming Greece on three separate occasions.  :P

But yeah, not addressing the Euro issues was a big omission, but this was for an American electorate, one they wanted to keep awake.  European austerity crises are no fun,  bombing the shit out of dune coons is.

MadImmortalMan

The Euros are keeping it quiet for now. Spain didn't get the memo though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 23, 2012, 12:18:24 PM
The Euros are keeping it quiet for now. Spain didn't get the memo though.

We are quite special. We always do our wars just for ourselves, and then refuse to join the big ones with everybody else.

Zanza

Neil

Quote from: Zanza on October 23, 2012, 12:20:30 PM
That's just the lull before the storm. ;)
Well, that and the fact that they have to keep a lid on anything that could throw off Obama winning the election, like an international economic meltdown.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Viking

Quote from: PDH on October 23, 2012, 12:39:30 PM
Spain is Germany's outlet to the sea.

I thought Hamburg was Germany's outlet to the sea?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Phillip V

It seems that Obama campaign's decision to buy ads and send Jill Biden to Minnesota was justified. Latest poll shows Romney trailing in Minnesota by only 5 points.

http://race42012.com/2012/10/23/poll-watch-rasmussen-minnesota-2012-presidential-survey/

merithyn

Nate Silver on 538 still has Obama at a 70% chance of winning the election. Nate also says that Ohio is pretty much the tipping state in this election at this stage of the game. Right now, most polls have Ohio going for Obama, so DGuller might be winning after all.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney