Debate III, the one just for Languish: US Foreign Policy

Started by CountDeMoney, October 22, 2012, 06:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on October 23, 2012, 12:07:24 PM
From what I can tell from the reports, the Eurozone crisis wasn't mentioned. You have to wonder whether e.g. the civil war in Syria or the economic depression in Europe is more relevant to American foreign policy interests.

Sadly, few people in the US are interested in it.  Attempting to something about it would be political suicide.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 23, 2012, 02:23:01 PM
Two more weeks.  Fear The Mittens.   :ph34r:

Now that he is free from his debate prep Mitt will have more time to screw up.

MadBurgerMaker

This debate seems like it sucked.  Glad I didn't watch.  And what's all this about the cavalry?

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 23, 2012, 02:26:02 PM
This debate seems like it sucked.  Glad I didn't watch.  And what's all this about the cavalry?

Apparently the US has less of it than it used to - that and bayonets.  Military budget increases are on their way.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 23, 2012, 02:23:01 PM
Two more weeks.  Fear The Mittens.   :ph34r:

I have to say that he's seriously tightened up his rhetoric. There have been zero gaffs that I'm aware of since his European tour. It just doesn't seem likely that he's going to say or do anything in the next two weeks to upend this election. It's now going to come down to who do you trust, and who's plan do you think will succeed?

Not that, ultimately, it's going to matter. With a Democrat-led Senate - which seems pretty assured again - Romney will find it very difficult to get many of his plans implemented when it comes to tax cuts and more military spending.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 23, 2012, 02:31:38 PM
Not that, ultimately, it's going to matter. With a Democrat-led Senate - which seems pretty assured again - Romney will find it very difficult to get many of his plans implemented when it comes to tax cuts and more military spending.

And given the history - Obama will likely find it difficult to do anything too. :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2012, 02:44:34 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 23, 2012, 02:33:06 PM
And what's all this about the cavalry?

Going to be drone-deployed from now on.

I'd like to see them shoot a horse out of a drone.

Wingspan's long enough on the big 'uns.  Only need two hard points.  Ditch the fuel pods.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2012, 02:34:53 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 23, 2012, 02:31:38 PM

And given the history - Obama will likely find it difficult to do anything too. :lol:

Absolutely agree.

I often wonder why these presidential elections are so huge. At the end of the day, it's the House and Senate that do the brunt of the work, and are, therefore, the more important elections.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 23, 2012, 02:18:24 PM
Nate Silver on 538 still has Obama at a 70% chance of winning the election. Nate also says that Ohio is pretty much the tipping state in this election at this stage of the game. Right now, most polls have Ohio going for Obama, so DGuller might be winning after all.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

Nate Silver is an admitted Obamaite and I'm starting to trust him a bit less than I used to. 

Oh, also Obama is down to 57.3 on Intrade NOW'S THE TIME TO BUY MORE :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2012, 02:46:52 PM
Nate Silver is an admitted Obamaite and I'm starting to trust him a bit less than I used to. 

Oh, also Obama is down to 57.3 on Intrade NOW'S THE TIME TO BUY MORE :)

I don't bet, but thanks for the heads up. :)

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2012, 02:28:45 PM

Apparently the US has less of it than it used to - that and bayonets.  Military budget increases are on their way.

I don't get the bayonet thing-- they are just as widely used as they ever were, possibly even more so now since they're more functional.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2012, 02:48:34 PM
I don't get the bayonet thing-- they are just as widely used as they ever were, possibly even more so now since they're more functional.

I thought only the Marines used bayonets now, as the Army stopped using them some 5-10 years ago. :unsure:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2012, 02:46:52 PM

Bah, the kid's a borderline autistic stat wonk, and he believes in numbers above everything--and everybody--else.

Besides, it all comes down to who gets their voters out more, and who gets suppressed.

I saw today that Ohio has to reissue new Board of Election info mailers, as the previous batch said the election was on Thursday, oops.  Nice try, you assholes.