News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In and Out Burger

Started by Caliga, October 15, 2012, 10:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

A lot of Bojangles around here were bought up by Popeye's.  Never really noticed a difference.

MadImmortalMan

Most of the Arby's here have been converted to Popeye's too. I wonder if it's a thing.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2012, 04:00:59 PM
:huh:

I tried Bojangles once and it wasn't that good. Also, it was traditional style fried chicken so more like KFC than Chick-fil-a.

Bojangles does both, actually. They do buckets of bone-in fried chicken ala KFC (and it's better than KFC) but for some reason most people think that is all they do. They also make fucking amazing biscuits, and boneless fried chicken that, when placed inside the biscuit becomes a "Cajun Filet Biscuit." Manna for discerrning Southerners everywhere.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 16, 2012, 04:59:32 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2012, 04:00:59 PM
:huh:

I tried Bojangles once and it wasn't that good. Also, it was traditional style fried chicken so more like KFC than Chick-fil-a.

Bojangles does both, actually. They do buckets of bone-in fried chicken ala KFC (and it's better than KFC) but for some reason most people think that is all they do. They also make fucking amazing biscuits, and boneless fried chicken that, when placed inside the biscuit becomes a "Cajun Filet Biscuit." Manna for discerrning Southerners everywhere.

I wonder if there's some cross-pollination with Bojangles and Popeye's--they've got good chicken, better than KFCs, but it's their biscuits that are worth fighting over.

Bojangles do sides like cajun rice and beans, etc?

OttoVonBismarck

Yup, they have "Cajun Pintos" and "Dirty Rice" (very similar to Popeyes Cajun Rice.) There aren't any Bojangles immediately in my area, there are some further north near D.C. and south toward Richmond, and then if you get into the Southwest part of the State and into North Carolina they are a lot more prominent. Popeyes is the bigger chain and more distributed, I've seen them in Ohio etc, never seen Bojangles any further outside the "old Confederacy" than the D.C. area.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on October 16, 2012, 08:34:02 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 16, 2012, 02:03:57 AM
I don't like it. I don't get why everyone thinks it's so great.  :(
Well, it is definitely better than McDonalds, Wendy's, BK, etc.

It's like a Five Guys that started in the 1970s, I guess.  It probably seems less awesome now since there are so many similar chains these days (Five Guys, Smashburger, The Habit, Homerun, etc.)

I like all of those better than In N Out. I must just be missing it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Any of you older than 35 remember the old Gino's?  Well, they've come back.  First one opened in Lancaster, PA and the second one opened in Towson a couple months ago.  Gino Marchetti himself cut the ribbon.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 16, 2012, 05:28:58 PM

It's like a Five Guys that started in the 1970s, I guess.  It probably seems less awesome now since there are so many similar chains these days (Five Guys, Smashburger, The Habit, Homerun, etc.)

McDonald's and Burger King are inedible in my opinion, at least their burgers. (McD's breakfast is weaksauce compared to Tim Horton's but it gets the job done.) Of the big fast food burger chains I think Wendy's and Hardee's stand out; I don't really consider Five Guys in that category yet as they're still a pretty small player.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 16, 2012, 05:34:04 PM
McDonald's and Burger King are inedible in my opinion, at least their burgers. (McD's breakfast is weaksauce compared to Tim Horton's but it gets the job done.) Of the big fast food burger chains I think Wendy's and Hardee's stand out;

Concur, except I do dig McD's burgers when they're fresh and done right.  Unfortunately there's too much inconsistency from McD's to McD's, and on the time of day and shift.  It's a complete gamble.

Wendy's does rock, though.

QuoteI don't really consider Five Guys in that category yet as they're still a pretty small player.

Until they get a drive-thru, they don't count.  But they are good damned burgers.  I put them in the same category as Steak n' Shakes rather than McDs/BK/etc.

katmai

MiM is heretic that must be burned at the stake.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

I don't see the fascination the Internet has with Five Guys.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

They let you put jalapenos on their burgers and they're cheaper than Chili's.

Though I've only eaten there like twice. Too long a drive.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 16, 2012, 05:50:21 PM
I don't see the fascination the Internet has with Five Guys.

I got a hamburger from there once.  It was pretty good.  Still, I only saw three people working there, hardly five guys.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 16, 2012, 05:34:04 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 16, 2012, 05:28:58 PM

McDonald's and Burger King are inedible in my opinion, at least their burgers. (McD's breakfast is weaksauce compared to Tim Horton's but it gets the job done.) Of the big fast food burger chains I think Wendy's and Hardee's stand out; I don't really consider Five Guys in that category yet as they're still a pretty small player.

You have Timmy's in VA? :huh:

In any event, I prefer McD's breakfast menu to Tim Horton's (mind you - it is the only edible portion of McDonald's menu).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

OttoVonBismarck

I'm not sure about in VA, definitely not near my house. But in this wasteland between D.C. and Richmond there are a lot of big chains we don't have. (You should see how happy the locals were when Chipotle came to town.)

I'm actually a pretty serious health food guy, so my knowledge of fast food isn't based on regular trips but my deep appreciation for junk food when I splurge.

Due to the nature of my job with ICE I travel a good bit though, and I know in at least an airport or two I go through regularly they have Tim's. I think at one point there used to be one in either Boston or New York near the hotel I normally stay at, but I think Tim Horton's is basically not viable in areas of deep Dunkin Donuts concentration so I think they pulled out of almost that entire region. I know they're still thick in Detroit and Columbus, though.