POTUS Debate II: The Empire Strikes Back at the Wrath of Electric Mittensaloo

Started by CountDeMoney, October 15, 2012, 08:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2012, 02:18:07 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 19, 2012, 12:39:22 PM
I don't keep track of such stuff on my own, but my impression was that this wasn't the case.

538 posted an article yesterday that actually said the opposite for Gallup in that it wasn't good at predicting election results.

Actually DG posted that article last night :D

Anyway, Gallup is better in some years than others:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/9442/election-polls-accuracy-record-presidential-elections.aspx
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 19, 2012, 02:36:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2012, 02:18:07 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 19, 2012, 12:39:22 PM
I don't keep track of such stuff on my own, but my impression was that this wasn't the case.

538 posted an article yesterday that actually said the opposite for Gallup in that it wasn't good at predicting election results.

Actually DG posted that article last night :D

Anyway, Gallup is better in some years than others:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/9442/election-polls-accuracy-record-presidential-elections.aspx

Oh it is odd then that he forgot it...?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

I didn't completely forget it.  I recalled Nate Silver describing in that article how Gallup has a history of bouncing around wildly and missing the mark, but I skimmed through that portion the first time, and didn't bother going back to get the details.  That's why I hedged so much in making that statement.  On top of that, I generally dislike quoting details from other people's blogs, because you're just regurgitating what may be selectively chosen data.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Posting an article you've read is like wiping before taking a dump.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: katmai on October 19, 2012, 02:48:16 PM
What Tim is only one allowed to do that?

He paid a high social and emotionial cost for that right, yes, only Tim as the right to do that.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

With little more than 2 weeks left, let's look at the RCP map with no toss-ups, ie the state is given to the candidate with a lead using the average of state polls.

Even if we give Romney the benefit of the doubt that the heretofore momentum putting him barely ahead in some swing states will continue, he still needs to win over states that Obama keeps a narrow, but stubborn lead in: Ohio, Iowa, and Nevada.

Even with the first post-debate surge, only a few polls in Ohio had Romney leading with maybe +1. Most still show Obama ahead by a few points (+2.5). Within striking distance, but Ohio is a big state and there is little time left.

Alternatively, Romney can win by snagging Nevada and Iowa. However, there has never been any poll in Nevada this year showing a Romney lead. Iowa polling is mixed, but Obama still averages a 2.4-point lead.

Eddie Teach

So boring how we keep getting that same map election cycle after election cycle with very minor adjustments.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

SURPRISE: Romney could lose all three states I mention above and still win the election by turning Wisconsin red. Obama only has a 2.8-point lead there, but I am still skeptical that it is a toss-up state.

ulmont

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 19, 2012, 08:47:10 PM
So boring how we keep getting that same map election cycle after election cycle with very minor adjustments.

It's almost like there's a legitimate urban-rural divide in our society.

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on October 19, 2012, 09:14:04 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 19, 2012, 08:47:10 PM

It's almost like there's a legitimate urban-rural divide in our society.

Wouldn't explain Vermont or Maine.