POTUS Debate II: The Empire Strikes Back at the Wrath of Electric Mittensaloo

Started by CountDeMoney, October 15, 2012, 08:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 18, 2012, 10:08:36 AM

Alright well it still doesn't mean that Romney was remiss in then not presiding over a company with lots of women in upper management. It could also be that said women didn't fight to take those top positions.

What an odd way to look at it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 18, 2012, 10:52:11 AM

Alright well it still doesn't mean that Romney was remiss in then not presiding over a company with lots of women in upper management. It could also be that said women didn't fight to take those top positions.

What an odd way to look at it.

Not really. Unless you are suggesting he should have implemented affirmative action programs, people are going to tend to promote who they like and part of that is the assertive factor - especially for women who likely would have faced a lot of blatant sexism during many of Romney's years at Bain (70s and 80s).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

It was left out but that article on Romney had this:

QuoteIn case it's still not clear where Mitt Romney stands on the matter, the Boston Globe fact-checked his record at Bain. "Romney, however, did not have a history of appointing women to high-level positions in the private sector. Romney did not have any women partners as CEO of Bain Capital during the 1980s and 1990s." Yes, the field was dominated by men back then, but even today, just 4 of 49 managers in the buyout field at Bain are women.

The even today bit seems odd as what does Romney have to do with Bain today?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Btw, Raz, MassGAP was started because though there were plenty of capable women out there - many state officials at the time said they had difficulty finding said women for high-ranking positions.

merithyn

His entire point was that he was dedicated to diversity and getting women into top positions. If that's the case, then the disparity in his former company wouldn't have happened. He would have sought out the top women to fill in those upper-management jobs. It's what he claimed to do as governor, after all.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 18, 2012, 11:26:01 AM

His entire point was that he was dedicated to diversity and getting women into top positions. If that's the case, then the disparity in his former company wouldn't have happened. He would have sought out the top women to fill in those upper-management jobs. It's what he claimed to do as governor, after all.

Actually he talked about being committed to diversity as governor. I don't recall him referencing his years at Bain.  Also as we all know his answer to that silly question was pandering - it seems odd to then critique policies at Bain.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on October 18, 2012, 11:27:25 AM
Actually he talked about being committed to diversity as governor. I don't recall him referencing his years at Bain.  Also as we all know his answer to that silly question was pandering - it seems odd to then critique policies at Bain.

I took it as a "company you keep" (pun not intended) critique, but it's still a shaky connection, yeah.  It does seem that he's embellished the amount of direct influence he had on Bain when he was there, too, so it makes it that much less likely that he's got anything to do with current HR practices at the company.
Experience bij!

merithyn

I don't know. It seems like it's just more proof that he doesn't really give a shit about women. But yeah, makes no sense to discuss the Bain of today.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 18, 2012, 11:42:29 AM

I don't know. It seems like it's just more proof that he doesn't really give a shit about women. But yeah, makes no sense to discuss the Bain of today.

I don't see how that's fair. You can say that he's not truly committed to making sure women are represented in top positions but then we'd already agreed on that.  I'm not sure though that you can stretch that do he doesn't care about women at all. That's too far.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on October 18, 2012, 11:26:01 AM

Doesn't the fact that he was specifically looking for women rather than simply the best people for the job prove that he's a sexist?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Another gem that I didn't catch at the time was Romney saying that under his leadership, the economy would grow so strong that employers would be desperate to hire women.  So are women the bottom of the barrel when it comes to applicant pool, and are hired only out of desperation?

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 18, 2012, 12:15:29 PM
Another gem that I didn't catch at the time was Romney saying that under his leadership, the economy would grow so strong that employers would be desperate to hire women.  So are women the bottom of the barrel when it comes to applicant pool, and are hired only out of desperation?

Yeah, I remember that stumble when he was talking.