POTUS Debate II: The Empire Strikes Back at the Wrath of Electric Mittensaloo

Started by CountDeMoney, October 15, 2012, 08:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on October 19, 2012, 12:12:37 AM
Even an RCP average, as unsophisticated as it is, is still a better choice than any one individual tracking poll. 

Yeah, and I check RCP every day.  I check 538 every couple of days.  We will see in a few short weeks if the two polls I pay particular attention to are suboptimal choices.  I know one of them was dead on in 2008.

Question for you:  What do you say to the accusations from the right that some of the polls are sampling democrats too heavily?  From what I understand, some of them were supposing even greater enthusiasm (i.e., likelihood to get out and vote) for Obama than in 2008, and I have a hard time believing he can match the enthusiasm his supporters had for him 4 years ago.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on October 19, 2012, 12:22:22 AM
Question for you:  What do you say to the accusations from the right that some of the polls are sampling democrats too heavily?  From what I understand, some of them were supposing even greater enthusiasm (i.e., likelihood to get out and vote) for Obama than in 2008, and I have a hard time believing he can match the enthusiasm his supporters had for him 4 years ago.
I'm not equipped to answer that question.  Sample weighting is the black art of polling, because you won't know how right you are until election is over.  You have to do it, because without it, you're going to have too much error.  But, if you do it poorly, you're also going to have too much error (which is what I suspect the problem with Gallup is). 

This is one reason why I put a lot of weight on 538.  I don't know exactly what Nate Silver does to account for that, but whatever it is has to mitigate the overall effect of some pollsters not getting their weights right.

Jacob

Oh look, Romney made money from government bailouts while outsourcing jobs and denying healthcare and pensions to American workers: http://www.thenation.com/article/170644/mitt-romneys-bailout-bonanza#

derspiess

The Nation?  Should I start posting anti-Obama articles from NRO??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 19, 2012, 09:35:06 AM

At any rate, I'm not sure I understand this. Isn't this further ammunition that the bailout didn't really help those that it should have?

It isn't like Romney championed a bailout in order to profit from it, is it?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on October 19, 2012, 12:26:45 AM
I'm not equipped to answer that question.  Sample weighting is the black art of polling, because you won't know how right you are until election is over.  You have to do it, because without it, you're going to have too much error.  But, if you do it poorly, you're also going to have too much error (which is what I suspect the problem with Gallup is). 

This is one reason why I put a lot of weight on 538.  I don't know exactly what Nate Silver does to account for that, but whatever it is has to mitigate the overall effect of some pollsters not getting their weights right.

Silver aggregates the polls. That's why he's good. He takes all of them and does his own analysis. FWIW, Gallup has been closest to the actual election results the last several times so I wouldn't discount them easily. Pew either.

It stands to reason that since Silver is making use of an aggregate of a bunch of polls, the most accurate single poll in the group will necessarily be more accurate than 538's average. It just has to be the case mathematically.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 19, 2012, 12:12:05 PM
Silver aggregates the polls. That's why he's good. He takes all of them and does his own analysis.
Aggregating the polls is easy.  Figuring out how to extract the most information and the least noise out of the whole bunch is the very hard part.  That's what Silver does, and he does it pretty well.
QuoteFWIW, Gallup has been closest to the actual election results the last several times so I wouldn't discount them easily. Pew either.
I don't keep track of such stuff on my own, but my impression was that this wasn't the case.
QuoteIt stands to reason that since Silver is making use of an aggregate of a bunch of polls, the most accurate single poll in the group will necessarily be more accurate than 538's average. It just has to be the case mathematically.
:hmm:  I don't think that's true.  And even if that were true, that's kind of pointless to know, because there is zero predictive power in knowing that one of the points that make up the averages will get it pretty close in hindsight.

Jacob

Is that what the Nation is equivalent to? I'm not familiar with all American media, alas :(

The Minsky Moment

Anyone invested in stocks, bonds or just about financial instrument would have money from the bailouts.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2012, 01:26:01 PM

Is that what the Nation is equivalent to? I'm not familiar with all American media, alas :(

The Nation does some good work on occasion, just like NRO, but they are a very biased source, yes.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2012, 01:26:01 PM

I would say so.  It has called itself "the flagship of the left".

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2012, 09:30:19 AM
Oh look, Romney made money from government bailouts while outsourcing jobs and denying healthcare and pensions to American workers: http://www.thenation.com/article/170644/mitt-romneys-bailout-bonanza#

This is a pretty silly article.  Romney's investment was in the hedge fund Elliott Associates.  Elliott had a total return of just over 4% in 2011, which is not terrible but not really lucrative either.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

I think the whole attack on Mitt's investments and his tax rate misses the point.  What matters is the policies he would push for.  The problem isn't that Mitt is taxed at 14%; the problem is that Mitt supports a tax system that taxes work (wages and ordinary income) at a much higher rate than taxes on asset returns, as a result of which people like him are taxed at much lower rates than ordinary workers.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 19, 2012, 12:39:22 PM
I don't keep track of such stuff on my own, but my impression was that this wasn't the case.

538 posted an article yesterday that actually said the opposite for Gallup in that it wasn't good at predicting election results.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.