POTUS Debate II: The Empire Strikes Back at the Wrath of Electric Mittensaloo

Started by CountDeMoney, October 15, 2012, 08:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

He was so flustered at that point that pretty much everything coming out of his mouth was nonsense.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: Phillip V on October 18, 2012, 12:15:04 PM
Now including post-debate polling, Gallup increases Romney's lead to +7 over Obama.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/157817/election-2012-likely-voters-trial-heat-obama-romney.aspx

Hmm, Gallup's poll on sexuality had that non-whites are more likely to self-identify as gay than whites.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 18, 2012, 09:06:37 AM
You can't put women in binders, only small chunks of them will fit!
If the woman is a trapper you could keep them in a "trapper keeper".

Probably the only situation ever where the term "trapper keeper" makes sense, sort of.

DGuller

Quote from: Phillip V on October 18, 2012, 12:15:04 PM
Now including post-debate polling, Gallup increases Romney's lead to +7 over Obama.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/157817/election-2012-likely-voters-trial-heat-obama-romney.aspx
This poll is total crap.  Wanna make a bet that election numbers are going to be nothing like this?  I'm ready to put my money where my mouth is.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 18, 2012, 12:48:35 PM
Trying to make up for that money you're going to lose to Yi?  :(
Just trying to prove a point.  Subconsciously Philip V has to know that Gallup numbers are crap, and that putting your money on them is foolish.  And I'm fully confident that I made a good bet with Yi, but because I'm nice, just today I'm going to let Yi cancel it for no charge.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

And if you can't be too specific, at least get it between 2-3 per cent margin of error.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Martinus

I don't think it is reasonable to suggest that in any given job the ratio of men and women should be 1:1 for it not to be sexist. Even with the most diversity-based hiring policies, I don''t think a private equity fund such as Bain would have the equal number of men and women - simply because jobs like this do not exactly appeal to women (hell, they do not even appeal to most men, as they require a rather cutthroat mentality etc.)

A lot of my clients are private equity funds and I don't think I would like to work in a job like this (even if it pays a lot).

mongers

I have a lot of silver teaspoons, old family hand me downs, I use for all sorts of things; a mate of mine notice this the other day and was was like "woah, these spoons are made of silver", they must be worth all of $2-3 each by weight of metal.   :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 18, 2012, 02:51:32 PM
I have a lot of silver teaspoons, old family hand me downs, I use for all sorts of things; a mate of mine notice this the other day and was was like "woah, these spoons are made of silver", they must be worth all of $2-3 each by weight of metal.   :D

Sounds like you have some intelligent mates.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on October 18, 2012, 02:40:30 PM
Can you explain to us how Gallup is crap?  Be specific.
The volatility is a big indicator.  Just a month ago it showed the biggest bump for Obama, and now it's showing the biggest bump for Romney.  If the poll with that many people in the sample size appears to be so volatile, then it's an indication that it's just badly designed.  It also has the biggest house effect as calculated by 538, which by itself doesn't mean much as long as it's a consistent bias, but in practice a rifle that appears to shoot way off target is also a rifle that shoots unpredictably off target.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017