News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Rumble in Columbus: Veeps Attack!

Started by merithyn, October 10, 2012, 01:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

I felt like this needed its own thread.

So, is Biden going to wipe the floor with The Youngen'? Or is Paul going to kick Joe in the teeth? Predictions? Bets? What say you, Languish?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

I predict Biden will make hilarious verbal gaffs and Ryan will savagely attack things he previously was in favor of.  Should be good quality reality TV.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2012, 01:17:08 PM
I predict Biden will make hilarious verbal gaffs and Ryan will savagely attack things he previously was in favor of.  Should be good quality reality TV.

Electoral version of Jersey Shore? :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

I think the Dems will try to fool everyone by replacing Biden with a gaffe-proof RoboJoe.

Anywho, I would think Ryan, being a bit younger and sharper, would mop the floor with a not-aging-too-well Biden.  But debates often tend to turn out contrary to conventional wisdom, and Crazy Joe has a history of good debate performance. 

So the safest prediction for me is a draw.   Ryan will say something that people will take out of context and try to use against him, while Biden will half-ass a couple one-liners and will receive adulation because, well, bless his heart he's trying.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 10, 2012, 01:19:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2012, 01:17:08 PM

Electoral version of Jersey Shore? :unsure:

The Situation on the end of Jersey Shore:
QuoteIt will take a number of years to try to forget what we've done.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

I'll make an effort to see this, should be entertaining.

What time is it one ?   (EST is what +5GMT ?)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

sbr

Quote from: mongers on October 10, 2012, 01:49:52 PM

Looks like it starts in 6 hours.

derspiess

Quote from: sbr on October 10, 2012, 02:03:12 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 10, 2012, 01:49:52 PM

Looks like it starts in 6 hours.

6+24 hours, anyway ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Joe has won the race for low expectations before it even started.  Any performance where he doesn't drool while crapping his pants will be considered a decisive draw at the very least. 

However, I predict that not only will Joe Biden successfully fight back saliva and feces, but that he'll actually get the better of Ryan by a modest margin.  Unlike Romney, who has to play dumb for his party, Ryan actually is a total flake with no substance.

crazy canuck

I am fascinated by how much play such a minor role in your government gets.  I understand the one heartbeat away thing but I think you guys take it a bit far.  Does anyone actually vote based on the fact that the VP might one day be president if the current president comes to some tragic end?

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 10, 2012, 03:43:43 PM
I am fascinated by how much play such a minor role in your government gets.  I understand the one heartbeat away thing but I think you guys take it a bit far.  Does anyone actually vote based on the fact that the VP might one day be president if the current president comes to some tragic end?
Berkut? :unsure:

frunk

McCain/Palin

Razgovory

Prediction: Derspeiss is going to say Ryan won.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Does anyone actually vote based on the fact that the VP might one day be president if the current president comes to some tragic end?

I dunno...people like my Dad, whose vote McCain had locked up until he picked you-know-who, seemed to take the veep candidate pretty seriously.  No way in holy hell did he want that fruit cake anywhere near the Oval Office.

And I specifically recall a couple acquaintances whose vote for Dukakis was cemented with the hope that he'd die in the middle of the inauguration so Lloyd Bentsen could take his rightful place upon the throne.

Josephus

Yeah. This one gets me as well. What was it John Adams famously said:

"the most insignificant office that ever the invention of man contrived or his imagination conceived."
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011