And we're back!

Main Menu

Body Image and Fitness

Started by Faeelin, October 10, 2012, 05:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on October 12, 2012, 03:35:11 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 02:24:15 PM
Yes, so that they don't have time to make bizarre pronouncements like "Muscles aren't cool."  Or at least, if they do, they'll be somewhere that no one can hear them. :D
Its true. Fashionable body types these days are far more towards the slim and toned than the big and beefy. It isn't the 80s anymore.

"Fashionable body types"? :huh:

What the fuck is wrong with you? How about you just get healthy and worry less about what's "fashionable"? I mean, Jesus, if girls went by that they'd never eat again!
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 12, 2012, 09:21:38 AM
Quote from: Brazen on October 12, 2012, 04:12:13 AM
Muscle doesn't "turn to fat", it's a physiological impossibility.

You dont have many American football players - or CFL types - do you :P

What does that have to do with anything? Isn't it the case that they get fat if they stop working out/playing because they typically don't reduce their caloric intake at the same rate?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2012, 10:34:55 AM

What does that have to do with anything? Isn't it the case that they get fat if they stop working out/playing because they typically don't reduce their caloric intake at the same rate?

Yes. It's not that the muscles sag. It's that they get covered in fat that then sags.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

katmai

I can personally attest to that. :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Legbiter

Quote from: merithyn on October 12, 2012, 10:21:01 AM
"Fashionable body types"? :huh:

What the fuck is wrong with you? How about you just get healthy and worry less about what's "fashionable"? I mean, Jesus, if girls went by that they'd never eat again!

Aside from Tyr being a semi-pillock, it's undeniable that the male physical ideal has suffered (IMO) from the sixpack/bodybuilding craze. Every man has a bulging sixpack, only very low fat percentage allows it to become visible. Again, IMO, if you want to see male physiques a bit closer to the default genetic potential I'd look at declathons. That's a sport that takes "average" to the extreme.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

crazy canuck

You have a real problem with being way too literal this week dont you.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 12, 2012, 05:13:19 PM

You have a real problem with being way too literal this week dont you.

You mean when meri said nobody can afford to live alone and the trend actually shows more people living alone than ever before?

As to what you said I don't understand why you'd contradict B's statement with an untrue anecdote. Even if it is almost like their muscle turned to fat - not relevant to what she said.