And we're back!

Main Menu

Warren - Brown Senate Race

Started by Count, October 10, 2012, 09:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maximus on October 12, 2012, 01:41:38 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 11, 2012, 01:01:46 PM
That's because I readily acknowledge that it exists, permeates our society on fundamental levels, and is still a barrier to our progression as a republic.
Those that don't are simply facilitating it and continue to enable it as a divisive wedge, arresting our development as a more perfect union.

I'm pretty sure it's those who insist on categorizing everyone and everything by "race" that are facilitating it. In fact, that's pretty close to the definition of racism.

Acknowledging it exists =/ categorizing everyone and everything by "race".

I, however, acknowledge that there are those individuals that do.  I categorize everyone and everything by height, weight and body mass index.

garbon

Racism certainly exists whereas race...that's dubious at best as it only really exists to the extent that individuals create fake categories based on appearance.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2012, 01:57:31 PM
Racism certainly exists whereas race...that's dubious at best as it only really exists to the extent that individuals create fake categories based on appearance.

Both racism and race are social constructs.  Height differentials are not.

Maximus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 12, 2012, 01:52:59 PM
Acknowledging it exists =/ categorizing everyone and everything by "race".
granted
I categorize everyone and everything by height, weight and body mass index.

Uh huh

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maximus on October 12, 2012, 02:05:44 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 12, 2012, 01:52:59 PM
I categorize everyone and everything by height, weight and body mass index.

Uh huh

I readily admit that I am prejudiced towards those substantially taller than myself. And if they're thin, too?  Fuck.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 12, 2012, 02:04:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2012, 01:57:31 PM

Both racism and race are social constructs.  Height differentials are not.

Can't really have racism without race. And so I think Max was right in pointing out (like I did) that it doesn't help to have people braying about hidden racism every time someone says something critical of a black president.  If anything it suggest that maybe there is something wrong with having a black president.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Then we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

CountDeMoney