14-year old Pakistani girl activist shot by Taliban

Started by merithyn, October 09, 2012, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on October 11, 2012, 06:46:10 PM
I know. You've told us all of that before. It's why I said what I said, specifically the bolded part. Your background was one of breaking free from that which you were taught was law, and finding your own path. I mistakenly assumed that you might recognize that as a valid option in life for others.
So, my hatred of a recently invented faith founded on Victorian misconceptions would make me more likely to be sympathetic of a recently invented faith based on Victorian misconceptions? 

I'm glad that you completely ignored what she said in favor of saying something stupid. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2012, 06:06:17 PM
Quote from: Raz
Oh and by the way, Margo Adler post dates Wicca by a lot.  I think are thinking of Margret Murray.  Interestingly, Gardner's association with the Golden Dawn means that Wicca has a sort of "cousin" religion.  Another alumni of that group was none other then L. Ron Hubbard who went on to found his own religion, Scientology.

:huh:

No, he wasn't. Hubbard lived with an Aleister Crowley follower named Jack Parsons who was a member of OTO, not Golden Dawn. And there's nothing so far as I'm aware that said that Hubbard even joined OTO.

You're right on the Margaret Mead thing though. I always get those two women mixed up. :blush:

Lol, next I guess you're going to bring Margaret Mitchell into this.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2012, 04:32:12 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 11, 2012, 04:30:40 PM
Moby Dick is overrated.

You have to be an American to really appreciate it.

No, Neil is right.

Btw QQ, I hope you've learned since you were nine that almost none of the victims of the holocaust died for their faith.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 08:47:06 PM

I'm glad that you completely ignored what she said in favor of saying something stupid. :)
I understood her comment and replied with what-to me-are extremely obvious points of comparison between Mormonism and the New Age faiths.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 11, 2012, 09:40:38 PM
No, Neil is right.

Btw QQ, I hope you've learned since you were nine that almost none of the victims of the holocaust died for their faith.
Moby-Dick is the greatest novel in the English language.

I think Jews were targeted for being Jews.  Part of being a Jew is Judaism.  What part of that is questionable? 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on October 11, 2012, 10:03:02 PM

I understood her comment and replied with what-to me-are extremely obvious points of comparison between Mormonism and the New Age faiths.

It's always sad how closed-minded so called American liberals are.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on October 11, 2012, 10:12:36 PM
I think Jews were targeted for being Jews.  Part of being a Jew is Judaism.  What part of that is questionable?
Jewish is an ethnicity, not just a religion.  The Nazis were big on racial theory, not religious bigotry.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Quote from: dps on October 11, 2012, 09:10:19 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2012, 06:06:17 PM
Quote from: Raz
Oh and by the way, Margo Adler post dates Wicca by a lot.  I think are thinking of Margret Murray.  Interestingly, Gardner's association with the Golden Dawn means that Wicca has a sort of "cousin" religion.  Another alumni of that group was none other then L. Ron Hubbard who went on to found his own religion, Scientology.

:huh:

No, he wasn't. Hubbard lived with an Aleister Crowley follower named Jack Parsons who was a member of OTO, not Golden Dawn. And there's nothing so far as I'm aware that said that Hubbard even joined OTO.

You're right on the Margaret Mead thing though. I always get those two women mixed up. :blush:

Lol, next I guess you're going to bring Margaret Mitchell into this.

Well for fuck's sake. :blush:

That one stupid chick who thought she knew what she was talking about with some historical group of witches only pretty much made it all up.

There? You happy?  :ph34r:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 10:15:06 PM

My preference for traditional Christianity over New Age faiths is proof of how indoctrinated I am as an American Liberal?

QuoteJewish is an ethnicity, not just a religion.  The Nazis were big on racial theory, not religious bigotry.
I think it is fair to say they were persecuted for a Jewish heritage-a part of this was ethnicity, obviously, but the religion was another part of it. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on October 11, 2012, 10:12:36 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 11, 2012, 09:40:38 PM
No, Neil is right.

Moby-Dick is the greatest novel in the English language.

Malthus and minsky would be targeted every bit as readily as siege.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

I very seriously doubt that there would have been a Jewish ethnicity in 1900 if the Jewish religion had stopped existing in any of the proceeding centuries.  I think it is hard to argue that there isn't a relationship between the religion and the ethnicity. 

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on October 11, 2012, 10:21:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 10:15:06 PM

My preference for traditional Christianity over New Age faiths is proof of how indoctrinated I am as an American Liberal?

It isn't a preference issue though but rather how you appear to loath something largely innocuous like neo-paganism.

merithyn

Quote from: Queequeg on October 11, 2012, 10:03:02 PM

However they were begun, to me, it's how they move forward that matters, and I suppose the biggest difference between the two now are that Mormonism believes that their path is the only true path, much like every other form of Christianity out there, and the New Age faiths recognize that there are many paths. That's what I find so appealing about them.

Hell, the first several hundred years of Christianity went through a very similar discourse until it was finally solidified into the "one true faith" at the first Nicene Council - 300+ years after Christ died. It's taken 1700 years of beating and hammering and wars and martyrdoms and everything else to get where it is, but it sure didn't start out this cultural haven you so love. Before that it was a bunch of people trying to figure out ways to celebrate the short life of a man who did some kind of neat stuff.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...