14-year old Pakistani girl activist shot by Taliban

Started by merithyn, October 09, 2012, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Am I thinking in a box? Am I thinking in a cardboard box?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 12, 2012, 03:12:35 PM
Anyway, the part of Neil's post that resonated more with me was the contrariness thing.  People who adopt a religion or other major lifestyle choice just to be different do irritate me.

But so many people do that / also find out that they really enjoy that non-traditional way of life. You must be annoyed a lot.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on October 12, 2012, 03:30:21 PM
Am I thinking in a box? Am I thinking in a cardboard box?

This is not about your dick in a box. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2012, 03:54:41 PM
Anyway, the part of Neil's post that resonated more with me was the contrariness thing.  People who adopt a religion or other major lifestyle choice just to be different do irritate me.

But so many people do that / also find out that they really enjoy that non-traditional way of life. You must be annoyed a lot.

You have no idea.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 12, 2012, 03:58:41 PM

You have no idea.

:console:

merithyn

You have no idea.

:lol:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadImmortalMan

In case you guys didn't notice it amongst all the paganism talk--Al Q has stated that if the girl ends up surviving the attack, she "won't survive the next one". This poor girl is living in fear all the time. Maybe forever.

She's only 14.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 12, 2012, 04:07:11 PM

You have no idea.

:lol:

;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 12, 2012, 04:10:27 PM
In case you guys didn't notice it amongst all the paganism talk--Al Q has stated that if the girl ends up surviving the attack, she "won't survive the next one". This poor girl is living in fear all the time. Maybe forever.

She's only 14.

Only a man on a mission from god could possible be so evil.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

She's only 14.

They said that shortly after it happened. I can only hope that the Pakistani government gets her and her family far away from that district.

garbon

She's only 14.

They also said that they will now target the father.

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on October 12, 2012, 04:15:23 PM

She's only 14.

Only a man on a mission from god could possible be so evil.

There's some truth in that. Extremists of any type are dangerous, but religious zealots seem to be the worst.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 12, 2012, 04:27:08 PM
There's some truth in that. Extremists of any type are dangerous, but religious zealots seem to be the worst.

I don't know.  Communists seem to have them beat.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on October 12, 2012, 02:51:56 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 12, 2012, 02:48:22 PM
The common beliefs that allow society to function smoothly.  The sense of belonging to a group that allows people to sacrifice their own good for the benefit of other members of the group.
:mellow:
Indeed.  Mellow.

It might be too late for your people.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: merithyn on October 12, 2012, 03:23:41 PM

They're meant to. Most of them want to force people to think outside the box, and most people don't like being forced into that. The status quo is the prefered, and pushing against that irritates people.

IMO that's fucked up.  Thinking outside the box as a means to an end is fine;  thinking outside the box simply for the sake of thinking outside the box is a pointless as adhering to tradition for the sake of adhering to tradition, just more annoying.