14-year old Pakistani girl activist shot by Taliban

Started by merithyn, October 09, 2012, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 09:11:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2012, 09:09:33 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2012, 09:07:45 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 09:04:40 AM
If all the people who want to make pakistan a more civilized place make the same choice pakistan will remain a hell hole forever. Competent and hard working pakistanis leave at the first opportunity and that just means that there are no competent and hard working pakistanis left. Exiles rarely change things, it's the ones who stay behind like mandela, walesa, havel, king and gandhi that change the world. If she stays here (in the west that is) she'll be dissident of the month, get some awards and some press and then be forgotten while we move on to the next brave girl fighting oppression.

How about we let her have her first fucking period before we worry about sending her back into the mouth of the beast, eh?

Agreed, though I'm also not sure I'd agree with his analysis as I think often these sorts of individuals (especially think of this pre-teen to early teen crusader) end up going back as they believe in helping out their country.  See Benazir Bhutto where everyone was like - if you go back, you will die.

Benazir didn't give up on her country. You seem determined to let it go to hell.

She didn't leave Pakistan? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2012, 09:11:32 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 09:04:40 AM
If all the people who want to make pakistan a more civilized place make the same choice pakistan will remain a hell hole forever. Competent and hard working pakistanis leave at the first opportunity and that just means that there are no competent and hard working pakistanis left. Exiles rarely change things, it's the ones who stay behind like mandela, walesa, havel, king and gandhi that change the world. If she stays here (in the west that is) she'll be dissident of the month, get some awards and some press and then be forgotten while we move on to the next brave girl fighting oppression.

Gandhi returned to India in his mid-40s. :contract:

Yes, to work for freedom. His dad had sent him to south africa to be a lawyer.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Point being, there's no reason this teenage girl needs to throw her life away now.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2012, 09:16:00 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 09:11:01 AM
Benazir didn't give up on her country. You seem determined to let it go to hell.

She didn't even return fire.

Viking

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2012, 09:19:45 AM
Point being, there's no reason this teenage girl needs to throw her life away now.

Was she throwing her life away when she first started fighting for girls education?

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 09:26:02 AM

Was she throwing her life away when she first started fighting for girls education?

No, because she didn't have a target on her back then. Now, however, she does, and they've already taken two shots at it. Now, it's time for her to lay low, get healthy, take care of herself and her family, and grow up. Once she's old enough to fully understand what she's doing, THEN she can go back and fight for her country.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 09:25:19 AM

She returned and has the car bomb crater to prove it.

I take it you didn't read my post? Let me paste again.

Agreed, though I'm also not sure I'd agree with his analysis as I think often these sorts of individuals (especially think of this pre-teen to early teen crusader) end up going back as they believe in helping out their country.  See Benazir Bhutto where everyone was like - if you go back, you will die.

Which specifically means that this young girl has ample time to return and crusade for her country. She doesn't need to do it all and end her life in the next month.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2012, 09:27:47 AM

Which specifically means that this young girl has ample time to return and crusade for her country. She doesn't need to do it all and end her life in the next month.

Pakistan is a hopeless case then?

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 09:28:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2012, 09:27:47 AM

Pakistan is a hopeless case then?

How the hell do you get that from what he said?? :blink:

You don't think that Pakistan will still require a crusader for women's rights in the next 10 years? Hell, I expect it for the next 25-50 years. That doesn't mean that it won't or can't get better. It just means that it will take a long time to get things to where they ought to be.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2012, 09:27:44 AM

No, because she didn't have a target on her back then. Now, however, she does, and they've already taken two shots at it. Now, it's time for her to lay low, get healthy, take care of herself and her family, and grow up. Once she's old enough to fully understand what she's doing, THEN she can go back and fight for her country.

:yes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

She had a target on her then, that's why they shot her. Now she has the possibility of being protected.

CountDeMoney

Once she's old enough to fully understand what she's doing, THEN she can go back and fight for her country.

So she doesn't know what she's doing now?

mongers

Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 10:34:59 AM

She had a target on her then, that's why they shot her. Now she has the possibility of being protected.

You'd trust Pakistani police and security guards, let alone their bosses ?

Haven't Pakistani politicians been murder by members of their own security detail ?
Not a Taliban deep cover agent, but someone who wakes up one morning and just decides it's gods work to kill their protected person later in the week.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"