14-year old Pakistani girl activist shot by Taliban

Started by merithyn, October 09, 2012, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: dps on October 12, 2012, 05:53:20 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 12, 2012, 03:23:41 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 12, 2012, 03:12:35 PM

Anyway, the part of Neil's post that resonated more with me was the contrariness thing.  People who adopt a religion or other major lifestyle choice just to be different do irritate me.

They're meant to. Most of them want to force people to think outside the box, and most people don't like being forced into that. The status quo is the prefered, and pushing against that irritates people.

IMO that's fucked up.  Thinking outside the box as a means to an end is fine;  thinking outside the box simply for the sake of thinking outside the box is a pointless as adhering to tradition for the sake of adhering to tradition, just more annoying.
Some people think pointless rebellion against society is a virtue.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2012, 11:04:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2012, 10:43:41 PM
Innocuous?  I remind you that Himmler was neo-pagan.  In fact the right wing, racist aspect of it was the predominant aspect until WWII.

And Son of Sam was a devout Christian, as are most serial killers. What's your point?

Actually he was a Jew.  He only became a devout Christian after going to jail.  My point,  Himmler's neo-paganism wasn't just some minor thing.  Neo-paganism much like old paganism was heavily political in nature.  The right wing neo-pagans of the 19th and early 20th century adopted it for political reasons.  As a rejection of Christianity which was deemed too weak and unfit for a imperial cultures of Europe at the time.  They wanted something stronger, less forgiving, more European.  A lot of modern neo-pagans are doing the same thing but for opposite reasons.  It's cause Christianity is in their opinion dominant, authoritarian, patriarchal.  The motive is the same.  So, no it's not innocuous.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2012, 07:52:56 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2012, 11:04:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2012, 10:43:41 PM
Innocuous?  I remind you that Himmler was neo-pagan.  In fact the right wing, racist aspect of it was the predominant aspect until WWII.

And Son of Sam was a devout Christian, as are most serial killers. What's your point?

Actually he was a Jew.  He only became a devout Christian after going to jail.  My point,  Himmler's neo-paganism wasn't just some minor thing.  Neo-paganism much like old paganism was heavily political in nature.  The right wing neo-pagans of the 19th and early 20th century adopted it for political reasons.  As a rejection of Christianity which was deemed too weak and unfit for a imperial cultures of Europe at the time.  They wanted something stronger, less forgiving, more European.  A lot of modern neo-pagans are doing the same thing but for opposite reasons.  It's cause Christianity is in their opinion dominant, authoritarian, patriarchal.  The motive is the same.  So, no it's not innocuous.
That was actually rather astute.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maximus

So your big point is that people adopt paganism because the mainstream religions don't work for them? How very "astute".

Neil

His point was that people who adopt religions outside the mainstream are defective.  That's the great point he made.

garbon

Quote from: dps on October 12, 2012, 05:53:20 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 12, 2012, 03:23:41 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 12, 2012, 03:12:35 PM

Anyway, the part of Neil's post that resonated more with me was the contrariness thing.  People who adopt a religion or other major lifestyle choice just to be different do irritate me.

They're meant to. Most of them want to force people to think outside the box, and most people don't like being forced into that. The status quo is the prefered, and pushing against that irritates people.

IMO that's fucked up.  Thinking outside the box as a means to an end is fine;  thinking outside the box simply for the sake of thinking outside the box is a pointless as adhering to tradition for the sake of adhering to tradition, just more annoying.

That's your point of view.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on October 12, 2012, 08:21:16 PM
His point was that people who adopt religions outside the mainstream are defective.  That's the great point he made.

He showed that some terrible people at one moment in time adopted paganism. Meanwhile we've had lots more time of Catholic priests using their position to abuse children.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2012, 08:47:26 PM
Meanwhile we've had lots more time of Catholic priests using their position to abuse children.

What's that got to do with religions outside the mainstream?  Scientology and Mormonism have to be around for another 2,000 years before their bullshit is acknowledged?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 12, 2012, 09:13:17 PM
Meanwhile we've had lots more time of Catholic priests using their position to abuse children.

What's that got to do with religions outside the mainstream?  Scientology and Mormonism have to be around for another 2,000 years before their bullshit is acknowledged?

I thought we already acknowledged the quackery of those two.

Neil

He showed that some terrible people at one moment in time adopted paganism. Meanwhile we've had lots more time of Catholic priests using their position to abuse children.
Small sacrifices to maintain social order.

Besides, if it wasn't for your faggoty laws and cowardly morals, the molesting priests could simply be burned at the stake for heresy.  You have weakened America.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on October 12, 2012, 09:43:39 PM

Small sacrifices to maintain social order.

Besides, if it wasn't for your faggoty laws and cowardly morals, the molesting priests could simply be burned at the stake for heresy.  You have weakened America.

You continue to be confused that acceptance of homosexuality means acceptance of pedophilia.

Razgovory

You continue to pretend that homosexuality isn't a paraphilic disorder.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2012, 10:39:36 PM

I think all homosexuals would agree that homosexuality isn't a typical condition. Even at the extreme estimate of 10% that's still a small segment in society.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2012, 10:41:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2012, 10:39:36 PM
I think all homosexuals would agree that homosexuality isn't a typical condition. Even at the extreme estimate of 10% that's still a small segment in society.
Many mentally ill people want to think that their condition isn't serious.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on October 12, 2012, 08:13:12 PM
So your big point is that people adopt paganism because the mainstream religions don't work for them? How very "astute".

What, you can't read or something?  They are constructing religions to bolster their political leanings.