14-year old Pakistani girl activist shot by Taliban

Started by merithyn, October 09, 2012, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2012, 10:45:09 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2012, 09:27:44 AM
Once she's old enough to fully understand what she's doing, THEN she can go back and fight for her country.

So she doesn't know what she's doing now?

I can't imagine that a 14-year-old child fully understands the implications of what she's doing, no. Would she have done what she did if she knew it might get her parents killed? Could she possibly understand what the political implications might or might be as a result of her own death? That's an awful lot to put on such a young person.

Do I think she's brave as hell and do I believe that she's a hero for all that she's done? Oh yes. Do I think that she knew from the beginning that she could be killed? Yes, I think she did, and I think she took on that risk fully aware that her own life could be forfeit. But I can't imagine that she was capable of understanding the full picture, and all that it implies.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm willing to accept that possibility. Nonetheless, she's still a child, and as such, she deserves to be cared for as a child, not as a martyr or as a crusader. That can wait.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Viking

Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2012, 10:45:21 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 10:34:59 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 09:26:02 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2012, 09:19:45 AM
Point being, there's no reason this teenage girl needs to throw her life away now.

Was she throwing her life away when she first started fighting for girls education?

No, because she didn't have a target on her back then. Now, however, she does, and they've already taken two shots at it. Now, it's time for her to lay low, get healthy, take care of herself and her family, and grow up. Once she's old enough to fully understand what she's doing, THEN she can go back and fight for her country.

She had a target on her then, that's why they shot her. Now she has the possibility of being protected.

You'd trust Pakistani police and security guards, let alone their bosses ?

Haven't Pakistani politicians been murder by members of their own security detail ?
Not a Taliban deep cover agent, but someone who wakes up one morning and just decides it's gods work to kill their protected person later in the week.

No, I'd say that if pakistani liberals all run and get asylum in the west then pakistan will never reform.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2012, 09:11:09 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 09:09:06 AM
I want her to get back to doing what she knew was right before the western media found out about her. Pakistan needs her.
Pakistan can wait until she's a little older, I would think. She's only 14, Viking. She has no business walking around worrying about getting shot, hung, drawn and quartered - or worse, being the reason that it happens to her mother or father.
Your infantilization of a foreign culture is inappropriate.

Our allowing anyone who doesn't want to live in shit to escape to our civilized lands has been devastating to the Third World, and you are a terrible person for trying to hold Asia in the Dark Ages.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on October 15, 2012, 12:18:56 PM

Our allowing anyone who doesn't want to live in shit to escape to our civilized lands has been devastating to the Third World, and you are a terrible person for trying to hold Asia in the Dark Ages.

The people who are able to realize it is shit are more deserving of escaping said shit than the ones making it so.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2012, 11:32:04 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2012, 10:45:09 AM
Once she's old enough to fully understand what she's doing, THEN she can go back and fight for her country.

So she doesn't know what she's doing now?

I can't imagine that a 14-year-old child fully understands the implications of what she's doing, no.

in regions of the world like that you're generally no longer considered to be a child when 14. Especially girls. Plenty enough have had their first child by then.

merithyn

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 15, 2012, 12:48:55 PM
in regions of the world like that you're generally no longer considered to be a child when 14. Especially girls. Plenty enough have had their first child by then.

That doesn't change the physiological make-up of human beings. The frontal lobe isn't fully developed until the mid-20s. There is no way that any child, regardless of which cultural they are raised in, can fully comprehend all of the implications of their actions, nor even know how to figure them out.

This girl goes to school with her school friends. She's not a mother, nor is she married. By most accounts, one could guess that she most likely still thinks an awful lot like a child rather than an adult, even if she sounds more grown than not.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2012, 12:54:37 PM
That doesn't change the physiological make-up of human beings. The frontal lobe isn't fully developed until the mid-20s. There is no way that any child, regardless of which cultural they are raised in, can fully comprehend all of the implications of their actions, nor even know how to figure them out.
Meh.  Adults aren't capable of comprehending all the implications of their actions either.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2012, 12:37:35 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 15, 2012, 12:18:56 PM

The people who are able to realize it is shit are more deserving of escaping said shit than the ones making it so.
Neither are.  They must fight it out in order to civilize their own societies.  Bringing them here doesn't help them, as the failed experiment with bringing Africans to the US should demonstrate.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on October 15, 2012, 01:51:31 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2012, 12:54:37 PM
Meh.  Adults aren't capable of comprehending all the implications of their actions either.

Mooselimbs are fully capable of comprehending the implications of their actions.  They know exactly what they're doing.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on October 15, 2012, 01:54:05 PM
Neither are.  They must fight it out in order to civilize their own societies.  Bringing them here doesn't help them, as the failed experiment with bringing Africans to the US should demonstrate.

The Africans were chosen randomly, making this a different experiment.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

She is now going to mooch off the British taxpayer and get whore pills now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 15, 2012, 03:17:15 PM
your wife is one needing those pills.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on October 15, 2012, 03:25:12 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 15, 2012, 03:17:15 PM
your wife is one needing those pills.

Not allowed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive