14-year old Pakistani girl activist shot by Taliban

Started by merithyn, October 09, 2012, 03:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Raz
Oh and by the way, Margo Adler post dates Wicca by a lot.  I think are thinking of Margret Murray.  Interestingly, Gardner's association with the Golden Dawn means that Wicca has a sort of "cousin" religion.  Another alumni of that group was none other then L. Ron Hubbard who went on to found his own religion, Scientology.

:huh:

No, he wasn't. Hubbard lived with an Aleister Crowley follower named Jack Parsons who was a member of OTO, not Golden Dawn. And there's nothing so far as I'm aware that said that Hubbard even joined OTO.

You're right on the Margaret Mead thing though. I always get those two women mixed up. :blush:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on October 11, 2012, 06:06:17 PM
Quote from: Raz
Oh and by the way, Margo Adler post dates Wicca by a lot.  I think are thinking of Margret Murray.  Interestingly, Gardner's association with the Golden Dawn means that Wicca has a sort of "cousin" religion.  Another alumni of that group was none other then L. Ron Hubbard who went on to found his own religion, Scientology.

:huh:

No, he wasn't. Hubbard lived with an Aleister Crowley follower named Jack Parsons who was a member of OTO, not Golden Dawn. And there's nothing so far as I'm aware that said that Hubbard even joined OTO.

You're right on the Margaret Mead thing though. I always get those two women mixed up. :blush:

Sorry they mix up the names quite a bit.  Golden Dawn, AA, OTO.  Gardner and Hubbard were part of Crowley's outfit (whatever he was calling it at the time), as was Parsons (who was rocket scientist of all things).  Hubbard ran off with Parson's wife and Parsons blew himself up.  Crowley seems to have seen Hubbard as shyster (which was accurate).  In his occult days Hubbard called himself "Frater H".  Flakes a feather, flock together.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

I know. You've told us all of that before. It's why I said what I said, specifically the bolded part. Your background was one of breaking free from that which you were taught was law, and finding your own path. I mistakenly assumed that you might recognize that as a valid option in life for others.
So, my hatred of a recently invented faith founded on Victorian misconceptions would make me more likely to be sympathetic of a recently invented faith based on Victorian misconceptions? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on October 11, 2012, 01:13:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 01:08:13 PM
Also who says that any given neo-pagans belief stem from a Greaco-Roman tradition? There are plenty of other pagan faiths on which to draw inspiration.

Who said that neo-paganism has to stem from Greco-Roman models? The late Classical Pagans were brought up as the last example of respectable pagans.
Surely there must be respectable Hindus. Hinduism, like the Greco-Roman and Norse pantheons derives from the original Indo-European pantheon does it not?  So does it not count as Pagan?

EDIT: Beaten by Razberry  :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 10, 2012, 10:59:40 AM
Thank God for Ataturk! Inspirational military leader, politician of genius and colossal piss-artist!

Let's raise a glass of raki to his memory.
It doesn't always work out.  Just look at whisky loving, bacon eating Jinnah.

It is interesting though.  I've seen adverts for whisky in Egyptian newspapers from the 30s.  Nowadays that simply wouldn't happen.  Ataturk was helped by being a great man but also a genuine nationalist defending his country.  Sadly too many of his type like, say, the Wafd Party were more than happy to drink Commissioner's whisky and formed a corrupt, decadent, effete, westernised elite of collaborators.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Egypt has been ruled by foreigners since Saladin.  Or, frankly, since Cambyses II.  I think that's just endemic to the Arab World. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

If we're going to start talking shit about Victorians, I'm gonna get pissed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: Neil on October 11, 2012, 07:41:52 PM
If we're going to start talking shit about Victorians, I'm gonna get pissed.
:lol:
I don't think Joseph Smith or Gardener represent the high point of the epoch.  That's all I'll say. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on October 11, 2012, 07:39:37 PM
Egypt has been ruled by foreigners since Saladin.  Or, frankly, since Cambyses II.  I think that's just endemic to the Arab World.
Yeah.  Ruled by foreigners for at least 1000 years.  Probably fucks you up a bit.

QuoteIf we're going to start talking shit about Victorians, I'm gonna get pissed.
The Wafd Party's comfortably Edwardian :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

There are not as many great men as one would like.

Not really sure about Jinnah. I confess to a dislike because he helped make partition a certainty and then had the bad taste to die just after Pakistan got independence leaving it to the kleptocrats; but I don't really know much about him  :hmm:

I was intrigued by how Western Istanbul was when I visited a couple of years back, very similar to Athens in the general feel of the place; though they did blare out the Call to prayer, the most noticeable being the one that woke one up in the small hours.

Sheilbh

I've not read enough on the subject to comment, and what I've read is anti-Jinnah.  But this article by Perry Anderson (a lefty intellectual historian) is fiercely anti-Nehru and interesting:
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v34/n14/perry-anderson/why-partition

It goes against what else I've read and I've always like Nehru, but I think he makes his case well.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

I always felt that Jinnah was problematic but ultimately right, working for partition pretty much from the beginning.  Still even when he did make some moves to trust Congress, Nehru would shoot his mouth off about how once they took power, he wouldn't be bound by any deals he made with Jinnah anyways.  The fact of the matter is that Congress simply wasn't capable of dealing honestly with the Muslim League.  As far as they were concerned, nobody other than them had any right to take any political action on the subcontinent.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.