European views on American involvement in the Vietnam war.

Started by Razgovory, October 08, 2012, 02:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 09, 2012, 03:23:32 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 03:19:58 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 09, 2012, 09:30:34 AM
It doesn't describe all geopolitics as imperialism and certainly wouldn't include defensive wars.

Vietnam was a defensive war.  :huh:

Or are you using defensive war in some subtle way that I'm missing?

I dont recall the North vietnamese attacking the US.  I do recall the US proping up another government.  Is that what you mean by defensive Yi?

South Vietnam was and we defended them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

I dont recall the North vietnamese attacking the US.  I do recall the US proping up another government.  Is that what you mean by defensive Yi?

I don't recall Hitler attacking Britain.  I don't recall Saddam attacking anyone other than Kuwait. Is that what you mean by propping up another government cc?

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2012, 03:24:25 PM
I dont recall the North vietnamese attacking the US. 

Gulf of Tonkin Incident.

I think you are being ironic here.

The one where the US attacked North Korean boats to give the pretext for congressional authorization.

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2012, 03:22:00 PM
Quote from: Zanza on October 09, 2012, 01:46:42 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2012, 12:12:31 PMWell we did kill millions of Germans.
No. Unless "we" includes the Soviet Union.

Really?  I figured those giant firestorms that leveled those cities took out at least 1 million.
No. About 400k.

Germany lost to the Soviet Union. The Allies were just a sideshow.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 03:28:36 PM

I don't recall Hitler attacking Britain.  I don't recall Saddam attacking anyone other than Kuwait. Is that what you mean by propping up another government cc?

I am not sure what Hitler attacking Britain has to do with your argument.  Britain entered because of treaty obligations.  The US entered Vietnam under a pretext generated by the US.  The war in the Gulf is a good example of US imperialist tendancies so I am not sure how much that helps you.

You dont understand the meaning of prop up?

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 03:26:45 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 03:19:58 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 09, 2012, 09:30:34 AM
It doesn't describe all geopolitics as imperialism and certainly wouldn't include defensive wars.

Vietnam was a defensive war.  :huh:

Or are you using defensive war in some subtle way that I'm missing?

South Vietnam was and we defended them.

Stay away, the adults are talking now.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 09, 2012, 03:33:54 PM

I am not sure what Hitler attacking Britain has to do with your argument.  Britain entered because of treaty obligations.  The US entered Vietnam under a pretext generated by the US.  The war in the Gulf is a good example of US imperialist tendancies so I am not sure how much that helps you.

So Gulf War I, which was fought on the basis of the UN article calling for mutual defense against aggression, is an imperialist war (which paints about 40 countries, including the likes of Norway and Denmark, with the imperialist brush) yet Britain gets a pass for WWII because they publicly pledged to defend Poland.  OK, it's getting a lot clearer now.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on October 09, 2012, 03:33:36 PM
No. About 400k.

Germany lost to the Soviet Union. The Allies were just a sideshow.

Oh come on.  Surely all the Germans we killed in WWII adds up to at least a million.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 09, 2012, 03:34:36 PM
Stay away, the adults are talking now.

You may be my elder but I haven't seen anything here that suggests a compelling reason to defer to you. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 09, 2012, 03:33:54 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 03:28:36 PM

Didn't the US sign a treaty with South Vietnam?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Sure it was a defensive war, but it was a war in defence of a local dictator the US had selected, whom the US maintained in the face of overwhelming opposition from the populace, and whom the US countenanced being overthrown when they soured on him sufficiently.

That's a pretty textbook case of propping up client regime, it seems to me.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 03:42:22 PMSo Gulf War I, which was fought on the basis of the UN article calling for mutual defense against aggression, is an imperialist war (which paints about 40 countries, including the likes of Norway and Denmark, with the imperialist brush) yet Britain gets a pass for WWII because they publicly pledged to defend Poland.  OK, it's getting a lot clearer now.

Yi, what's your definition of an imperialist war?

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on October 09, 2012, 03:47:44 PM
Sure it was a defensive war, but it was a war in defence of a local dictator the US had selected, whom the US maintained in the face of overwhelming opposition from the populace, and whom the US countenanced being overthrown when they soured on him sufficiently.

Wait, how do you know there was "overwhelming opposition".  It's not like someone was polling people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 09, 2012, 03:47:44 PM

No, Bao Dai was the king the Frogs had selected.  Diem was a president chosen by the Vietnamese people in an election.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 09, 2012, 03:49:18 PM
Yi, what's your definition of an imperialist war?

A war fought to aquire colonies and/or subjugate states.