European views on American involvement in the Vietnam war.

Started by Razgovory, October 08, 2012, 02:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 09, 2012, 01:54:04 PM
Quote from: HVC on October 09, 2012, 01:51:57 PM
Ed protests too much. Deep down he wants to be the worst kind of European. French :P

At least they'll get their hands dirty.

No shit.  God Bless the French.  They're like little Americans.  Little, pissy Americans.  But at least they like their wet ops.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Hansmeister

In my experience the average european knows less about the Vietnam war than the average American. And the average American knows very little and what they know is wrong.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 09, 2012, 01:59:13 PM
In my experience the average european knows less about the Vietnam war than the average American. And the average American knows very little and what they know is wrong.

Sounds about right :)

Ed Anger

Speaking of Vietnam, I always found wargames on the war to be boring. Either a bug hunt in a map of green, or too much crap to deal with on a strategic level.

Except the air portion.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 09, 2012, 02:06:48 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2012, 01:59:53 PM
Hans!

In the flesh.  Well, not really.

Hey, Hans hows it going ?

We need some of your 'coverage' of the presidential campaign.  :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 09, 2012, 02:08:05 PM
Speaking of Vietnam, I always found wargames on the war to be boring. Either a bug hunt in a map of green, or too much crap to deal with on a strategic level.

Except the air portion.

Conflict in Vietnam was solid-- for the 80s anyway.  The Dien Bien Phu mission was lame, but the others were really good. 

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 09, 2012, 01:59:13 PM

:lol:

An excellent and succinct analysis  :cool:

Hansmeister

Quote from: mongers on October 09, 2012, 02:08:59 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on October 09, 2012, 02:06:48 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2012, 01:59:53 PM
Hans!

In the flesh.  Well, not really.

Hey, Hans hows it going ?

We need some of your 'coverage' of the presidential campaign.  :cheers:

Things are going quite well, particularly since I left the last FOB where I spent a month receiving 107mm rocket arty everyday, while we never returned fire since we might accidentally hit a civilian.  I got three more weeks until I pop smoke.

I'm not sure what got me thinking about responding to a thread about Vietnam. A war that seems to never end, in a country on the other side of the world, in order to back up a hopelessly corrupt govt and a military that won't fight against a ruthless, radical enemy supported by a hostile neighboring country that we are reluctant to confront.

As far as the presidential campaign, it is unfolding as I expected. As I stated months ago in another thread Romney will win by a comfortable margin. All the indicators have long pointed in that direction.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 09, 2012, 02:08:05 PM

Except the air portion.

The problem is that the Vietnam war is more a political war than a kinetic war, so a traditional war game model simply doesn't work at capturing the conflict.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2012, 12:15:27 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2012, 12:10:48 PM
This campaign has done nothing for Poland, which was overrun before it even began. Now, again, noone blames you for "not dying for Danzig" but don't expect gratitude.

You know, I don't recall French troops pouring over the Rhine or the Royal Navy sortieing to draw out the fleet at Kiel on September 2nd, 1939, either.

And how does this support Barrister's claim that the UK (and Canada) "defended Poland" in 1939?

Martinus

Quote from: Gups on October 09, 2012, 12:58:32 PM
This campaign has done nothing for Poland, which was overrun before it even began. Now, again, noone blames you for "not dying for Danzig" but don't expect gratitude.

You know, I don't recall French troops pouring over the Rhine or the Royal Navy sortieing to draw out the fleet at Kiel on September 2nd, 1939, either.

Or the Poles helping the Czechs out instead of helping themselves to Zaolzie.

And how does this support Barrister's claim that the UK (and Canada) "defended Poland" in 1939?

Martinus

Quote from: mongers on October 09, 2012, 01:27:00 PM
Quote from: Gups on October 09, 2012, 12:58:32 PM

Or the Poles helping the Czechs out instead of helping themselves to Zaolzie.

Yes, it's often forgotten that Poland was an unpleasant right wing military dictatorship, that didn't get along with its neighbour and iirc event enacted some anti-Semitic legislation in 38.

No one expect the Poles to last more than a couple of months against the Germans, and the Poles only hoped for 3 months, that was assuming they conducted a organised fighting retreat into a Polish redoubt, the plan was then the winter weather and 'something' turning up would save them.

AAnd how does this support Barrister's claim that the UK (and Canada) "defended Poland" in 1939?