European views on American involvement in the Vietnam war.

Started by Razgovory, October 08, 2012, 02:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 03:52:32 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 09, 2012, 03:47:44 PM
Sure it was a defensive war, but it was a war in defence of a local dictator the US had selected, whom the US maintained in the face of overwhelming opposition from the populace, and whom the US countenanced being overthrown when they soured on him sufficiently.

That's a pretty textbook case of propping up client regime, it seems to me.

No, Bao Dai was the king the Frogs had selected.  Diem was a president chosen by the Vietnamese people in an election.

Didn't Diem takeover in a rigged election?

At any rate, I agree that Jacob's telling of the events seems kinda slanted considering that we knew he'd be ousted because the North would invade when we left.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Diem was a president chosen by the Vietnamese people in an election.

Yeah with 112% of the vote.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2012, 03:59:42 PM

Yeah so we don't know how many people actually supported Diem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2012, 04:02:08 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2012, 03:59:42 PM

Yeah so we don't know how many people actually supported Diem.

Well we know dude who set himself on fire apparently didn't care for Diem.  So that's one against.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Wonder what happened to the Buddhist monks under the communist rule.  Maybe they found someone else to light them on fire.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 03:53:51 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 09, 2012, 03:49:18 PM
Yi, what's your definition of an imperialist war?

A war fought to aquire colonies and/or subjugate states.

In your opinion, has the US ever engaged in such a war?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 03:52:32 PMNo, Bao Dai was the king the Frogs had selected.  Diem was a president chosen by the Vietnamese people in an election.

You mean the one where he won by receiving 98.2% of the vote, including 133% of the votes in Saigon? Whereas his American advisors had recommended a more modest 60% to 70% victory when rigging the election?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 09, 2012, 04:18:11 PM
In your opinion, has the US ever engaged in such a war?

Of course.  Spanish-American War.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 03:55:21 PMDidn't Diem takeover in a rigged election?

At any rate, I agree that Jacob's telling of the events seems kinda slanted considering that we knew he'd be ousted because the North would invade when we left.

Slanted how?

Is our disagreement over what happened and how it went down, or is it about whether it's okay to call it "imperialistic"?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 09, 2012, 04:22:47 PM
You mean the one where he won by receiving 98.2% of the vote, including 133% of the votes in Saigon? Whereas his American advisors had recommended a more modest 60% to 70% victory when rigging the election?

OK.  But does that get you to a US-installed dictator? 

A semi-honest question.  I've heard the same thing said a about Syngman Rhee in South Korea, where the basis of the charge rests on the fact that Rhee was educated in the US and spoke English.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on October 09, 2012, 04:22:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 03:52:32 PMNo, Bao Dai was the king the Frogs had selected.  Diem was a president chosen by the Vietnamese people in an election.

Hmm, Republicans make a habit of tweaking voter turn out, no wonder Yi approves of Diem. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 04:24:40 PMOf course.  Spanish-American War.

... but since then, no imperialistic adventures? The Spanish-American War is about as far as you can go in describing a war as being imperialistic?

What are, in your opinion, the salient differences that make the Spanish-American War imperialistic, but not the Vietnam one?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 09, 2012, 04:31:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 03:55:21 PMDidn't Diem takeover in a rigged election?

Slanted how?

Is our disagreement over what happened and how it went down, or is it about whether it's okay to call it "imperialistic"?

I think what you provided was an edited view on what happened.

That said I can see how one would could describe the Vietnam War as imperialistic but I don't think anyone has provided a concrete definition yet that encompasses how the Vietnam War would fit in - but not other wars like WWI and WWII (i.e. European theatre) where the US had a compelling self-interest in joining the war.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 09, 2012, 04:34:11 PM
... but since then, no imperialistic adventures? The Spanish-American War is about as far as you can go in describing a war as being imperialistic?

What are, in your opinion, the salient differences that make the Spanish-American War imperialistic, but not the Vietnam one?

I could swear I've answered this twice already.  :huh:

Aquisition of colonies.  Subjugation of states.