European views on American involvement in the Vietnam war.

Started by Razgovory, October 08, 2012, 02:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 02:53:48 PM
That's obnoxious.

I think it's obnoxious to respond to someone's post and post something completely irrelevant to the point of that post.

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2012, 02:55:04 PM
That's obnoxious.

I think it's obnoxious to respond to someone's post and post something completely irrelevant to the point of that post.

Like you just did three times in a row.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 09, 2012, 02:56:29 PM
That's obnoxious.

Deleted my response as that was rather good. :thumbsup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

That's obnoxious.

How so?

Barrister posted that the UK and Canada "defended Poland".

I replied that they didn't do anything to defend Poland.

To this CdM replied that neither did France (true but so what?)

To this Gups replied that Poland annexed Zaolzie (true but so what?)

To this mongers replied that Poland was a right wing dictatorship (somewhat true, in a mongers-is-brain-damaged-so-he-does-not-get-nuance way, but so what?)

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2012, 03:00:14 PM
How so?

Your generic comment had nothing to do with their replies.

Anyway, didn't both of those nations go to war as a result of Germany's moves? Now they may have not ultimately done much to prevent the annexation of Poland but then if you look at end results, US was ultimately not very successful at preventing the annexation of South Vietnam.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2012, 02:45:39 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2012, 12:15:27 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2012, 12:10:48 PM
This campaign has done nothing for Poland, which was overrun before it even began. Now, again, noone blames you for "not dying for Danzig" but don't expect gratitude.

You know, I don't recall French troops pouring over the Rhine or the Royal Navy sortieing to draw out the fleet at Kiel on September 2nd, 1939, either.

And how does this support Barrister's claim that the UK (and Canada) "defended Poland" in 1939?

It doesn't, you overly hysterical fuckhead. 

Last time I support the argument that Poland was abandoned by the Western powers in 1939 again.  Hope they gas your shrill ass next time, you assbunny.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2012, 03:00:14 PM
That's obnoxious.

How so?

Barrister posted that the UK and Canada "defended Poland".

I replied that they didn't do anything to defend Poland.

To this CdM replied that neither did France (true but so what?)

To this Gups replied that Poland annexed Zaolzie (true but so what?)

To this mongers replied that Poland was a right wing dictatorship (somewhat true, in a mongers-is-brain-damaged-so-he-does-not-get-nuance way, but so what?)

They did declare war on Germany when Poland was invaded as per treaty obligations.  The UK did bomb Germany in September of 1939 as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

If you're the UK (and Canada), and you're going to defend Poland in September 1939, you'd do pretty much exactly what the UK did.  Go onto a war footing in order to ultimately defeat Nazi Germany.  The UK (and Canada) did not have the means to defend Poland itself in 1939, but took the steps that did ultimately lead to its liberation.

Like I said you can blame the Allies for letting the Soviets get a grip on the country if you want, but I don't see how they can be faulted in 1939.  After all they could just as easily have followed the example of Czeckoslovakia a few months earlier and do nothing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 09, 2012, 09:30:34 AM
It doesn't describe all geopolitics as imperialism and certainly wouldn't include defensive wars.

Vietnam was a defensive war.  :huh:

Or are you using defensive war in some subtle way that I'm missing?

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on October 09, 2012, 01:46:42 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2012, 12:12:31 PMWell we did kill millions of Germans.
No. Unless "we" includes the Soviet Union.

Really?  I figured those giant firestorms that leveled those cities took out at least 1 million.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 03:19:58 PM
It doesn't describe all geopolitics as imperialism and certainly wouldn't include defensive wars.

Yeah, I thought that odd too.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 03:19:58 PM

I dont recall the North vietnamese attacking the US.  I do recall the US proping up another government.  Is that what you mean by defensive Yi?

CountDeMoney

mongers

Marti is 1930s Poland, he's a bit extreme, abrasive, not easy to get on with and his neighbours don't like him.
Consequently when he is threatened by a bully, people will reluctantly say and do 'the right thing', but it will be somewhat half-hearted.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"