News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

BBC: Second Spanish Civil War Is Possible

Started by jimmy olsen, October 03, 2012, 08:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 04, 2012, 10:08:16 AM
I'd marry a dago or wop before I'd pollute myself with a Geordie.

That's what I did.  A DagoWopMick in fact :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2012, 09:24:49 AM
Spaniards, Italians and Greeks are very clearly not white, and "latin" is as good a term as any. :mellow:

No it is an idiotic term.  Among many others we already use that term to describe people in Latin America regardless of their race.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2012, 11:02:01 AM
Quote from: DGuller on October 04, 2012, 10:10:09 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 04, 2012, 10:01:41 AM
This needs a poll.  But I'd say Spaniards, Italians, and maybe even Greeks would qualify as white, for whatever that's worth.
Have any scientific measurements been performed to answer this question definitively?

There you go with the stalking & whatnot.
Get a life.

Grallon

Quote from: Tyr on October 03, 2012, 11:40:53 PM

Unity through disunity.
The more the old nations are split the more federalised the small new nations can become.

My thought exactly.  A real federation can't emerge until the old states have been sufficiently weakened.  When that happens, either through financial bankrupcy or social dislocation - or both, you'll see more regions breaking apart and it will be far easier to create a super state.  Could it be the plan of the 'powers that be'?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on October 04, 2012, 11:45:19 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 03, 2012, 11:40:53 PM

Unity through disunity.
The more the old nations are split the more federalised the small new nations can become.

My thought exactly.  A real federation can't emerge until the old states have been sufficiently weakened.  When that happens, either through financial bankrupcy or social dislocation - or both, you'll see more regions breaking apart and it will be far easier to create a super state.  Could it be the plan of the 'powers that be'?

G.

Perhaps but again what's to prevent the federation from getting weekend as now there would be scores and scores of voices clamoring to be heard.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

This needs a poll.  But I'd say Spaniards, Italians, and maybe even Greeks would qualify as white, for whatever that's worth.

Perhaps "mediterannean" would be a better term, since your typical Spaniard or Greek looks very much the same as your typical resident on the other side of the Med.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2012, 09:29:40 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 03, 2012, 09:27:05 PM
I support Basque independence.

Yeah, I went there.

Why?  What good would it do?  Splitting Europe into Micro-States for no reason only serves to make the continents problems worse not better.  The regions of Europe need to be coordinating more in order to meet the challenges they are facing not splitting into pieces to satisfy nationalist douchebaggery.
small is beautiful.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2012, 04:13:54 PM
Perhaps "mediterannean" would be a better term, since your typical Spaniard or Greek looks very much the same as your typical resident on the other side of the Med.

I claim them all in the name of Honky-Crackerness!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Barrister

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2012, 04:13:54 PM

For Greeks I'd agree but Spaniards seem a bit whiter to me.  As do northern Italians.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I can't believe you guys are having a serious discussion about the whiteness of Spaniards.  :lol:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2012, 07:38:04 AM

No but the international system is maintained by large countries.  The smaller ones just ride the coattails of the system (or be taken down by the system).  The European countries breaking apart is going to make the Euro-zone, and the world economy, more unstable.

A system comprised of small countries is bound to fail.  But a small country can do great so long as there are other countries around to do the heavy lifting.

On the other hand, one of the greatest strengths that Europe as a whole has had historically was its diversity and the "smallness" of its states. With power decentralized, it allowed them to conduct hundreds of social experiments simultaneously and find the best solutions to public problems. You put them all into one big bucket and that advantage is wiped out.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2012, 04:29:29 PM
I can't believe you guys are having a serious discussion about the whiteness of Spaniards.  :lol:

-_-

It's not as if being "not white" is a bad thing.  I don't mean to denegrate our spanish posters.  But their skin tone just isn't "white".

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2012, 04:35:06 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2012, 04:29:29 PM

-_-

It's not as if being "not white" is a bad thing.  I don't mean to denegrate our spanish posters.  But their skin tone just isn't "white".

No skin is actually white, saving perhaps those without pigment.

And besides I'd wager there's nearly as great a range of skin tones amongst a 'race' as there are between these 'races'.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"