The Great Debate Megathread! Black Lincoln versus whiter, richer Douglas!

Started by Sheilbh, October 02, 2012, 10:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2012, 02:04:01 PM
There is a fair amount of literature regarding how law schools became more tolerable places once Female students and then professors came on the scene - they were simply unwilling to put up with the kind of bs males were willing to put up with and dish out all those years in the absence of females.

Take that example and multiply it across society.

In that case I look forward to society functioning better in the future.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grinning_Colossus

Back in '92, 6-year-old me loathed George Bush. My #1 issue was spotted owls. 
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

derspiess

There is a fair amount of literature regarding how law schools became more tolerable places once Female students and then professors came on the scene - they were simply unwilling to put up with the kind of bs males were willing to put up with and dish out all those years in the absence of females.

I think the presence of a certain number of women tends to have a civilizing effect on an environment.  I'm not sure that applies to politics, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 02:36:11 PM
I think the presence of a certain number of women tends to have a civilizing effect on an environment.

Yeah but does that make for better functioning lawyers though?  And does that have a civilizing effect on the functioning of the law system itself?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2012, 02:44:02 PM
I think the presence of a certain number of women tends to have a civilizing effect on an environment.

Yeah but does that make for better functioning lawyers though?  And does that have a civilizing effect on the functioning of the law system itself?

I thought he was just talking about law schools.  Can't speculate on how that affects lawyers or the law system.  I just know there are too damned many lawyers.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

I think the presence of a certain number of women tends to have a civilizing effect on an environment.  I'm not sure that applies to politics, though.

I'd like to find out. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 02:55:59 PM

We already have women in many political offices so couldn't we just take a look at that? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2012, 02:58:10 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 02:55:59 PM

We already have women in many political offices so couldn't we just take a look at that? :huh:

I would argue that the culture in politics changes as you get further up the food chain. It would be nice to see what the House and Senate would be like with a true representation of the population in them.

That being said, there was some annecdote around here about the difference between the local School Board from 30 years ago (all men) and now (~50/50 men/women). Apparently, it's a kinder, gentler School Board today, and they've pretty much erradicated the systemic racism that was policy in the earlier years. There have been, of course, a number of other factors that have changed (and a lawsuit), but a woman I know on the School Board likes to say it's all because of the estrogen present now. :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 02:53:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2012, 02:44:02 PM

I thought he was just talking about law schools.  Can't speculate on how that affects lawyers or the law system.  I just know there are too damned many lawyers.

:mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 03:06:02 PM
I would argue that the culture in politics changes as you get further up the food chain. It would be nice to see what the House and Senate would be like with a true representation of the population in them.

Well while 17% isn't representative of the population in general, you'd think that'd be enough to draw some conclusions, no?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I mean if it does make things better that is great since we are going to do it anyway for social justice and all that good stuff.  I guess I think the common denominator is our humanity and that is going to continue to contribute to the same sorts of problems we always have had.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Based on Maggie, Golda and Indira I kind of admire and fear successful female politicians.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 03, 2012, 03:56:57 PM
Based on Maggie, Golda and Indira I kind of admire and fear successful female politicians.

What about Sarah? (Palin)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2012, 02:24:33 PM

In that case I look forward to society functioning better in the future.

To a large extent I think it already does.