The Great Debate Megathread! Black Lincoln versus whiter, richer Douglas!

Started by Sheilbh, October 02, 2012, 10:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Neil on October 03, 2012, 08:42:33 AM
When I had a Jellicoe avatar, did I want to be British?

No that just means you want to suck dreadnought cock. If you'd had Adm Cunningham or Harold McMillan then we might think you wanted to be British.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on October 03, 2012, 08:07:37 AM
"Alas, I wish I was American so I could have no health care, get screwed by big business, be poor and have to deal with black criminals"

Yeah.  For sure.  :rolleyes:

Odd, I've never had any of that happen to me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

I wonder if this debate would help anyone decide who to vote for at this point? Is there people out there still undecided?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 03, 2012, 07:36:52 AM
You act like I care what a foreigner like you thinks, Flanneled Martinus.

He is right though in this instance. Obama hasn't really done much worthy of note beyond being the first black president.  Hell, arguably he's actually harmed race relations.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 10:01:14 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2012, 09:49:58 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 09:38:03 AM
So every four years do the major news outlets just copy & paste the headline "Polls Tighten on Eve of Debate"?

Someone at NSA has just tagged you as a radicaliser.  :ph34r:

Hey they have to get people to tune in for debate coverage somehow.

I'll be watching it this evening because my daughter wants to watch it. :blink: If I'm not really careful, that girl will end up in politics.  :glare:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2012, 10:19:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2012, 10:08:24 AM
Hell, arguably he's actually harmed race relations.

How?  By his sheer shittiness as President?

In the same way as Martin Luther King did.  By disturbing white people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Yes, his attempts at voter repression throughout Florida, Ohio and Pennsyltucky have arguably harmed race relations.

The only thing he'd done was elevate how much this nation hates black people by getting all uppity and acting out of his place.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2012, 10:25:49 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2012, 10:19:08 AM

How?  By his sheer shittiness as President?

In the same way as Martin Luther King did.  By disturbing white people.

Yeah what Raz said. Race seems to be rearing its ugly head as a discussion point all over the place. :(

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2012, 10:07:19 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 03, 2012, 08:07:37 AM
"Alas, I wish I was American so I could have no health care, get screwed by big business, be poor and have to deal with black criminals"

Yeah.  For sure.  :rolleyes:

Odd, I've never had any of that happen to me.

I've had all but the black criminal thing happen to me. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 10:01:14 AM
I'll be watching it this evening because my daughter wants to watch it. :blink: If I'm not really careful, that girl will end up in politics.  :glare:

I'm having to turn off anything political on the radio or TV in front of my 4-year old because he's asking too many questions.  He's asked me multiple times if Obama is a "bad guy" and I tell him no, I'm sure he's a good person.  So he asks me why I'm not on "Obama's team", trying to paint me into a corner, and I tell him I just think Romney would be a better president.  Gotta love that age-- it's all good vs. evil.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 10:42:22 AM
I've had all but the black criminal thing happen to me. :(

I had a CD stolen out of my car once-- saw them doing it.  Joke was on them because it was from an Argentine ska band.  It was a copy of the original cd I kept at home, so no sweat off my back.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

I remember being very confused during the 1984 election.  I couldn't figure out who was the bad guy, Mondale or Reagan, and I was convinced for a short time that if Reagan won we would all die in nuclear war before my Dad set me straight.  If I knew then what I know now the answer would have been obvious.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2012, 10:59:33 AM
I remember being very confused during the 1984 election.  I couldn't figure out who was the bad guy, Mondale or Reagan, and I was convinced for a short time that if Reagan won we would all die in nuclear war before my Dad set me straight.  If I knew then what I know now the answer would have been obvious.

I grew up in a die-hard GOP household but politics almost never came up.  The only thing remotely political I remember is that in the late 70s my parents had a ceramic coffee mug in the shape of a peanut with a goofy Jimmy Carter-esque mouth on it.  I asked my mom what it was and she said it was a way of making fun of the president, but quickly pointed out that it's not nice to make fun of people and that we should respect the president :D

CountDeMoney