The Great Debate Megathread! Black Lincoln versus whiter, richer Douglas!

Started by Sheilbh, October 02, 2012, 10:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Habbaku on October 03, 2012, 12:17:43 PM
I didn't realize that the office of the President was supposed to be some sort of indicator of social growth.  Why is it such a horrible thing if a man wins the office?

I didn't say it was. I said it would be bad if ONLY men won the next 4-7 elections. It would be even worse if ONLY white men won. The country is made up of more than that, and it would be nice to see that diversity at the highest eschelon of our nation. It will indicate that gender and race are no longer stoppers when running for The Big Office here. (And please don't try to claim that it hasn't been in the past nor that it won't be in the future.  :rolleyes: )
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Habbaku

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 12:23:14 PM
(And please don't try to claim that it hasn't been in the past nor that it won't be in the future.  :rolleyes: )

:rolleyes:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Neil

A hispanic woman in the White House?  I suppose the US government could cut costs by using illegals as maids.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 12:39:33 PM
diversity

:bleeding:

Help me understand why that's a dirty word.

We are a diverse nation with a variety of perspectives. The fact that the vast majority of those leading our country have been of a single demographic is a major issue for me, regardless of what demographic that is. It would distress me if we had only been led by only Hispanic women or Asian men or Samoan transsexuals for that matter during the course of our history, too.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on October 03, 2012, 11:41:10 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 03, 2012, 11:16:14 AM
Damn you, debate scheduling!

One time showing of Black Narcissus at the art house downtown tonight at the same time.  :(
Why would you be interested in the debates?  You already know who to vote for, and you have everybody's soundbites down by heart.  I'm sure if Romney steps on his own dick again, it'll dominate the news cycle for the next week, so what's the big deal about catching it live?

Same reason it's more fun to watch your sports team play live than it is to watch the highlight reel on the sports and news shows later.

Valmy

Look I think diversity is great as a goal.  Naturally our institutions should be open to all who have the ruthlessness and lack of ethics required.  But I just think it is a bit overplayed as a virtue.  Like somehow our institutions will be more sensitive and more virtuous once we have everybody represented.  I really doubt it will make a bit of difference in how those institutions operate.  The assholes who run them may look different but they are basically the same sort of creature.  Nancy Pelosi and Obama may be of different race and gender but they seem identical to the white dudes who preceded them in every important respect that I can see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 01:16:43 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 12:39:33 PM
diversity

:bleeding:

Help me understand why that's a dirty word.

We are a diverse nation with a variety of perspectives. The fact that the vast majority of those leading our country have been of a single demographic is a major issue for me, regardless of what demographic that is. It would distress me if we had only been led by only Hispanic women or Asian men or Samoan transsexuals for that matter during the course of our history, too.

Valmy pretty much covered it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

FunkMonk

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2012, 01:31:05 PM
Look I think diversity is great as a goal.  Naturally our institutions should be open to all who have the ruthlessness and lack of ethics required.  But I just think it is a bit overplayed as a virtue.  Like somehow our institutions will be more sensitive and more virtuous once we have everybody represented.  I really doubt it will make a bit of difference in how those institutions operate.  The assholes who run them may look different but they are basically the same sort of creature.  Nancy Pelosi and Obama may be of different race and gender but they seem identical to the white dudes who preceded them in every important respect that I can see.

I don't think meri is arguing diversity for diversity's sake. She's saying that minorities getting elected to high offices reflect the positive social changes the country has gone through.

QuoteIt will indicate that gender and race are no longer stoppers

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

merithyn

Oh, absolutely! But the nation will have grown enough to vote based on who was the most ruthless/ethically devoid rather than on who wore high heels or who needs suntan lotion or not.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 01:53:42 PM
Oh, absolutely! But the nation will have grown enough to vote based on who was the most ruthless/ethically devoid rather than on who wore high heels or who needs suntan lotion or not.

And may we all live to see that day.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2012, 01:57:36 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 01:53:42 PM

And may we all live to see that day.

Hey, I'll take what I can get.  :sleep:

crazy canuck

There is a fair amount of literature regarding how law schools became more tolerable places once Female students and then professors came on the scene - they were simply unwilling to put up with the kind of bs males were willing to put up with and dish out all those years in the absence of females.

Take that example and multiply it across society.

garbon

Nancy Pelosi and Obama may be of different race and gender but they seem identical to the white dudes who preceded them in every important respect that I can see.

I'm not sure I'd even describe Nancy Pelosi and Obama as similar.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.