The Great Debate Megathread! Black Lincoln versus whiter, richer Douglas!

Started by Sheilbh, October 02, 2012, 10:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 11:08:16 AM
I grew up in a die-hard GOP household but politics almost never came up.

My parents were hardcore Nixonians, and Mom was even a Goldwater Girl volunteer.  And then the GOP went church mouse crazy in the post-Reagan era, and that was that.

CountDeMoney

Damn you, debate scheduling!

One time showing of Black Narcissus at the art house downtown tonight at the same time.  :(

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 03, 2012, 11:16:14 AM

One time showing of Black Narcissus at the art house downtown tonight at the same time.  :(

That's just bait, isn't it   :glare:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 10:01:14 AM
I'll be watching it this evening because my daughter wants to watch it. :blink: If I'm not really careful, that girl will end up in politics.  :glare:

She may even become our first hispanic President, assuming Romney loses.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 03, 2012, 11:09:30 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 10:59:17 AM
Joke was on them because it was from an Argentine ska band.

That had to sound as bad as it sounds.

To the fellows who stole the CD, absolutely.  But Los Fabulosos Cadillacs is a very good band.  About the only Argie music act I like.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 03, 2012, 11:14:37 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 11:08:16 AM
I grew up in a die-hard GOP household but politics almost never came up.

My parents were hardcore Nixonians, and Mom was even a Goldwater Girl volunteer.  And then the GOP went church mouse crazy in the post-Reagan era, and that was that.

We're all still Reagan Republicans.  Before that I guess my parents were just generic Republicans.  Three of my grandparents were Republicans (Hoover Republicans?)  but my mom's dad was an old school Democrat-- and by far the most conservative in my family.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 03, 2012, 11:16:14 AM

Why would you be interested in the debates?  You already know who to vote for, and you have everybody's soundbites down by heart.  I'm sure if Romney steps on his own dick again, it'll dominate the news cycle for the next week, so what's the big deal about catching it live?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on October 03, 2012, 11:41:10 AM
Why would you be interested in the debates?  You already know who to vote for, and you have everybody's soundbites down by heart.  I'm sure if Romney steps on his own dick again, it'll dominate the news cycle for the next week, so what's the big deal about catching it live?

Because Mittensfail live pleases me.  You just can't get that mojo on rerun.

Grallon

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 10:56:16 AM
...  Gotta love that age-- it's all good vs. evil.

:lol:  Does it mean large segments of the American Populus have a mental age of 4?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

derspiess

Quote from: Grallon on October 03, 2012, 11:43:29 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 10:56:16 AM
...  Gotta love that age-- it's all good vs. evil.

:lol:  Does it mean large segments of the American Populus have a mental age of 4?

G.

Yes.  Are we still "in the throes of a theocracy" as you said a few years ago? ;)

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 03, 2012, 11:19:48 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 10:01:14 AM
I'll be watching it this evening because my daughter wants to watch it. :blink: If I'm not really careful, that girl will end up in politics.  :glare:

She may even become our first hispanic President, assuming Romney loses.  :D

Meh. She's not Hispanic. She doesn't even know what casones (aka chonies) are. :contract:

And I truly hope and pray that we don't have to wait for my 13-year-old daughter to grow up and come of age before we have a woman - or an Hispanic - sitting on the throne of the US of A.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 11:48:29 AM
And I truly hope and pray that we don't have to wait for my 13-year-old daughter to grow up and come of age before we have a woman - or an Hispanic - sitting on the throne of the US of A.

I think we'll get by somehow. 

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 11:54:05 AM

Probably, but it really doesn't say much for social growth by this country if we have to, does it?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 11:58:32 AM
Probably, but it really doesn't say much for social growth by this country if we have to, does it?

Well we are only going to have between 4 to 7 Presidents before she is old enough to be elected.  Surely not every single minority will be represented by that time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 11:58:32 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 11:54:05 AM

I didn't realize that the office of the President was supposed to be some sort of indicator of social growth.  Why is it such a horrible thing if a man wins the office?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien