Obsidian raised a million dollars in a day on Kickstarter

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 18, 2012, 01:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: celedhring on January 27, 2017, 03:40:39 PM+1

I'm the dude that reads every book that finds in those games. I love me a good world-building.

Quote from: garbonI found it dull. :blush: I like world building but really like it to serve a purpose.

I think garbon's point is why obsidian's world-building feels so awkward lately. in games, world-building should create opportunities for the players. you're learning about a new environment, or a faction, and the game side of it should respond in some way. similarly, in a book, the reader learns about some lore because it's somehow relevant to the story or characters.

instead, lately obsidian games have bogged down by presenting so much lore that feels completely unnecessary to what's actually happening in the game. it's like a DM starting off a campaign by going on and on about details that will just never matter to the players. that gets boring. world-building should serve a purpose, and it doesn't feel like there is a purpose to a lot of it.

(edit) sometimes authors either create or approve the creation of encyclopedias that are full of "needless" information, but those can be interesting to people after they've immersed themselves in the world and seen glimpses of these places and factions, etc. that are then expanded on. by throwing all this information at the player as part of the story, it becomes tedious and uninteresting for the vast majority of people... because who cares about the founder of the sisters of dancing moons, shorashi of ng'lar, who lived and died a thousand years before the story and is completely irrelevant except she founded this faction that appears for ten seconds before disappearing from the story.

Razgovory

I saw their Obsidian's begging webpage and watched the video they made.  I had no idea what they were talking about when discussing the plot.  I realized that Pillar's of Eternity left such a big impression on me that I completely forgot who the villains were.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

PSA: One week left to be involved in this exciting Fig opportunity!

They are doing some Q&A's on twitch that are being posted to Youtube if you are like Raz and can remember nothing about the first one: https://www.youtube.com/user/ObsidianEnt/videos

Here is the link to the campaign if you do not feel like scrolling up: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?utm_source=Obsidian&utm_campaign=CF17&utm_medium=featuresite
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Will combat be more fun this time? Honestly that's the only thing that's holding me back.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on February 18, 2017, 06:03:04 AM
Will combat be more fun this time? Honestly that's the only thing that's holding me back.

My feelings, as well.  I dreaded when the story ended and the combat tweaking started.  It seemed too much work.  I'm pretty sure that the key was the proper employment of the He Danced on His Toes With Bells A'Twinkling spell, but I couldn't be bothered in the end.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I didn't really follow any of this.

How is the game, the first one? Is it a worth heir to the Baldurs Gate games?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on February 19, 2017, 05:14:15 PM

I loved it and I thought so. But clearly reception by Languish was mixed over all.

I think part of the problem was implementation of a new class and combat system without any basis to ground anybody in it. We all knew the funky things related to the various editions of D&D. But here everytime you got a new companion you had to take time to figure out what this new class even was supposed to be doing and how they worked. I thought that was kind of fun but clearly others did not think so.

My main problem with the combat in the first game was it was fun and challenging at the beginning but too easy at the end which is a pretty typical problem for RPGs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

LaCroix

Quote from: Berkut on February 19, 2017, 05:14:15 PM

I mean, I think so?? tough to say whether today I could play BG2 for the first time and love it.

it's a fun game with tons of choices in character development. neat backstory. goes over the top with places, history, and names. the world itself is fairly bland; it's a typical not-europe. imo, combat is fun

it's probably not worth $60 unless you have money to blow and/or nothing else to play

Berkut

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on February 24, 2017, 09:58:03 AM
Its on sale for $18 this weekend....

Keeping in mind all the caveats said in this thread I would heartily recommend it if you are a fan of the IE games. And by that I mean a fan of that style of play and not just for the nostalgia factor.

One thing to consider: the game is very long as it is so don't feel the need to get the White Marches expansions unless you just really love the game and want even more. They take place during the main quest though, like Tales of the Sword Coast from BG1 and not as a sort of sequel like Throne of Bhaal in BG2. Though for $18.00 you probably get the expansions included.

I am also pretty sure the game was never $60. I think I got it for $40.00. It was not a AAA title.

celedhring

I got it from 30-something in a preorder sale I caught at GMG. Euro was stronger back then of course.

Since the kickstarter starts at $29, you aren't really saving *that* much, but you are guaranteed to get a product of at least good quality (and potentially great quality).

Decided I will pass and just get it on a sale later on. :P

Valmy

celedhring

Bah  :P

I just think that my - certainly limited - kickstarter budget is better used backing projects of smaller developers. Obsidian doesn't really need my money to get the game out.

Valmy

Probably right. They are going to end up with well over what they got the last time.

Berkut

I am REALLY liking this. Seems very much like BG, but a hell of a lot better. I love the detail in the combat and character system.

A little surprised that the classes seem very generic though.

0 rows returned