And we're back!

Main Menu

25 years old and deep in debt

Started by CountDeMoney, September 10, 2012, 10:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2014, 11:25:29 PM
So why are these people doing this?

Because they can't get full time work as professors?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 26, 2014, 11:33:22 AM

It seems like they would be better off trying something else then.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2014, 11:35:14 AMIt seems like they would be better off trying something else then.

Yeah for sure. Though no harm in drawing attention to the issues surrounding your chosen profession.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 26, 2014, 11:40:29 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2014, 11:35:14 AMIt seems like they would be better off trying something else then.

Yeah for sure. Though no harm in drawing attention to the issues surrounding your chosen profession.

Sure enough. At the same time though, it does come off somewhat as a whine about how they aren't able to earn a living by doing what they want to do.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2014, 11:46:46 AMSure enough. At the same time though, it does come off somewhat as a whine about how they aren't able to earn a living by doing what they want to do.

For sure.

It used to be that academia was a way to respect and a comfortable living. I think that dream is still being sold to people, so it's worth pointing out that it's not reality so fewer people are suckered into it.

I think it's also legitimate to point out how underpaid they are and how the education business is set up; it might influence how things go. It may be that "underpaid, near starving adjuncts teach all your courses" becomes less of a marketable proposition for the universities if it becomes widely known.

alfred russel

One of my cousins got a PhD in Anthropology. One could argue that was a stupid move. She heard that many times when getting the PhD.

But once she got it, what is she to do? Pushing 30 having only gone to school (aside from working on random projects no one besides academics would really care about), but highly skilled in anthropology....It is exceedingly difficult to get tenure track positions.

It turns out she was extremely fortunate to get money to get a post doc research position. But otherwise, being an adjunct professor at least brings in some money.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2014, 11:35:14 AM

Maybe they could become robots and build cars!

Anyway, no time to read long article, but I'm aware the adjunct apocalypse.  Just like I deserve doc review, that's what would-be parasites who couldn't hack the scam get--the nourishment of the droplets that drip down, while the big leeches feed on the main vein.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 26, 2014, 02:35:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2014, 11:35:14 AM

Maybe they could become robots and build cars!

I forgot to add to my post, as I knew you'd be silly, that I find it rather hard to believe that these smart individuals have absolutely nothing else that they can find to do as a better paid job.

Ideologue

Maybe they could turn their Lander University degrees into Stanford ones.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

(Made under the assumption that garbon knows I'm mainly teasing him, for though he is a class enemy, he is also... my friend. :cry: )
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 26, 2014, 02:40:41 PM

:yawn:

Btw, did you know that most people that have my job did not go to Stanford? :o

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 26, 2014, 02:41:35 PM
he is also... my friend. :cry: )

Remind me, when did I sign up for that? Was I drunk? :angry:

Ideologue

You're like an adorable porcupine.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2014, 02:43:08 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 26, 2014, 02:40:41 PM

:yawn:

Btw, did you know that most people that have my job did not go to Stanford? :o

No, many are not continent-spanning travelers.  They went to schools for local yokels like Harvard, Yale, and NYU. :P
Kinemalogue

garbon