Main Menu

25 years old and deep in debt

Started by CountDeMoney, September 10, 2012, 10:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on December 01, 2016, 01:09:08 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 30, 2016, 10:55:09 PM
OK, Mr. Not Appearing In This Country.

Still applies in Canada though - BB's got it pretty cushy.

And I never denied it.   :cool:

I was :ultra: at the part that I can't be a conservative while being a government worker.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Everything's cushy in Canada.  BFD.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2016, 01:11:42 PM

And I never denied it.   :cool:

I was :ultra: at the part that I can't be a conservative while being a government worker.

Fuck off.

Phillip V

Social Security Checks Are Being Garnished for Unpaid Student Debt

http://www.wsj.com/articles/social-security-checks-are-being-reduced-for-unpaid-student-debt-1482253337?emailToken=JRrzdfF5ZXyVitM9Zswn01YpZ61NEOKCW0nWMGGPMUjBv3/O5Ou7yuA/itqxria1SEpn7N0IqmA4X3jMhnJjXcPUgKJinVqiZzxRo5vYlFTXah6BwRXRJrU%3D

The government has collected about $1.1 billion from Social Security recipients of all ages to go toward unpaid student loans since 2001, including $171 million last year. Most affected recipients in fiscal year 2015—114,000—were age 50 or older and receiving disability benefits, with the typical borrower losing about $140 a month. About 38,000 were above age 64.

CountDeMoney

LOL suck it, Boomers. That's what you get for skipping class to go to that anti-war march.

MadImmortalMan

My mom has her SSA garnished for this reason. Because that BA in Education from THE Ohio State University was so goddamn valuable.

But think about this---back then, all you had to do to earn enough money for tuition was work your summer break at the soda jerk counter or the local record store. Now extrapolate that into the future, where student loans are actually a significant, often the most significant portion of a person's negative net worth.

When I was working for a medical office there were some PAs (physician's assistants) who owed so much in tuition loans they had to cut their hours back or sometimes work for free because they had to stay under a certain income for their student loan payments to stay low enough to allow them to live. That is a self-perpetuating problem. Can't pay off your loans because you can't make enough money...can't make enough money because your loan payments will starve you.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers