Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Stupid skinny jeans bullshit. :mad: YOURE SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO BEND

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 17, 2016, 05:23:04 PM
Stupid skinny jeans bullshit. :mad: YOURE SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO BEND

:yes:

Pop, lock and drop it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I kept about 4 or 5 pairs of original 501s, from waaay back in The Daytm.
When I was moving, Mom wanted to know why a box was labeled "Cancer Jeans".

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 17, 2016, 05:30:07 PM
I kept about 4 or 5 pairs of original 501s, from waaay back in The Daytm.
When I was moving, Mom wanted to know why a box was labeled "Cancer Jeans".
:lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

I bet you do, Paulie.  Probably points with your pinky finger, too.  EXCOOSE ME EXCOOSE ME

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

The Brain

That's just money. Can student whining ever be forgiven?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

A hundred billion here, a hundred billion there, pretty soon you're talking real money.

alfred russel

Maybe it was a mistake to pay off my student loans early. :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Yeah once we start doing something like this we might as well just give a 100 billion to the Universities and bypass the middle man.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Phillip V on November 30, 2016, 04:17:12 PM
U.S. to Forgive at Least $108 Billion in Student Debt in Coming Years

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-to-forgive-at-least-108-billion-in-student-debt-in-coming-years-1480501802?emailToken=JRrzdvl%2BZHuUi9wwaswhkUZtcq5NBeiTSVLJITXDJg3IuXXOvaf4n/VwjdqzpWKoQwN74ZUf83MzSDvNxWZnVtPUmrg6mlChen9S64DJ2BeQfx2HzBbXJbNM7vM%3D

QuoteGrowing evidence, however, suggests many of the most hard-pressed borrowers—college dropouts who owe less than $10,000—aren't taking advantage of the programs and instead workers with graduate degrees, including some doctors and lawyers who don't necessarily need the help, are.

The Wall Street Journal, apparently still full of hack partistans who, in fact, are probably too intelligent to be this retarded by accident.  Maybe they should compare the average 4L salary to the average grad's debt.

Fun fact: BigLaw hires, i.e. the actual success stories, are not eligible for IBR/IDR.

Grouping doctors and lawyers makes sense in the context of a country song written in 1978.  It does not make sense in a policy discussion in 2016.  But, of course, this is the exact kind of bullshit that I'd expect, because I've seen it before: when they took away bankruptcy protections for student borrowers back in the mid-1990s.

The rationale for that change?  A tiny number of doctors--maybe literally in the double-digits--strategically defaulted on their debts early in their careers.  Obviously, the only possible solution (the only solution that would make lenders money and make the pain caucus happy) was to remove basic debtor protections to millions of graduates with tenuous finances.  (Then in the mid-oughts, they made private loans nondischargeable, too, which is insane.)

Meanwhile, as for grouping doctors and lawyers together with generic "graduate degree holders," Jesus Christ, that's idiotic.  I don't know exactly what a first-year at the big history firms make, but I'm pretty sure it isn't a ton.  Even M.A. holders in STEM fields can have a very hard time.

If they wanted to attack the "worst" part of the program, "worst" in the sense it's a massive giveaway to people who (usually) don't need it, then the focus should probably be on PSLF and PSLF alone.  Anybody who manages to get a federal government job is already lucky, and forgiving their loans tax-free (therefore either basically destroying the borrower financially after years of struggle, or--more likely--forcing the borrower to invoke the insolvency provisions of the IRC, which I'm sure is a pretty big pain in the ass) is an enormous windfall.  Yet even then, folks working at charities, or for state governments, really are often underpaid--not necessarily in comparison to the private sector, which pays jack shit too, but in absolute terms, or at least in comparison to their educational investment.

Anyway, one thing I'll agree with is that without IBR/IDR, the hilarious brokenness of the student loan system would be a lot more apparent, in the sense that something like 50-75% of all borrowers would almost instantaneously default.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

I have very little student debt left so I don't see a problem at all.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.