And we're back!

Main Menu

25 years old and deep in debt

Started by CountDeMoney, September 10, 2012, 10:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camerus

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2014, 09:07:09 PM
Quote from: Camerus on September 12, 2014, 09:04:42 PM
I assume more people would study STEM had they but the aptitude.  I don't think it's lack of promotion of STEM that's the problem. 

Maybe, but at the same time, people who are studying things like Classics or Philosophy could likely be put on more useful courses.

Probably, for the most part.  Society generally requires that only the Elect should have access to that kind of rarefied material (non-sarcastic).

garbon

Quote from: Camerus on September 12, 2014, 09:10:21 PM
I assume more people would study STEM had they but the aptitude.  I don't think it's lack of promotion of STEM that's the problem. 

Maybe, but at the same time, people who are studying things like Classics or Philosophy could likely be put on more useful courses.

Probably, for the most part.  Society generally requires that only the Elect should have access to that kind of rarefied material (non-sarcastic).

Well I think there is a difference between taking a few classes vs. making it one's major. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Camerus

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2014, 09:14:04 PM

Well I think there is a difference between taking a few classes vs. making it one's major. :P

Yeah.  I would probably advise most young people nowadays to combine something like Classics with a double major in the more prosaic fields, like business.

Still, I think there is something to be said for the humanities' intellectual elite to focus in on areas like the Classics.  The problem is that too many humanities students erroneously believe themselves to be part of that elite.    ;)

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2014, 06:58:09 PM
Leftist revolutionaries have come disproportionately from the ranks of shysterdom.

They get business degrees? :huh:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 12, 2014, 08:11:45 PM
Lenin went to Kazan University to study law.  :sleep:

Yeah but he never finished and was kicked out. So he studied on his own and passed the bar anyway.  :contract:

Abe Lincoln did the same thing only never started college in the first place.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

I sent that article to my son and told him to read the entire thing...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Phillip V

Quote from: Berkut on September 13, 2014, 01:12:28 AM
What does your son want to study.

Berkut

Quote from: Phillip V on September 13, 2014, 01:39:15 AM

Given that last month he sent 36,240 text messages, not much at all, apparently.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

The world would be a much better place if all the psychology and drama majors went into actuarial science instead.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on September 13, 2014, 01:48:46 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on September 13, 2014, 01:39:15 AM

Given that last month he sent 36,240 text messages, not much at all, apparently.
:hmm: You have unlimited texting, right?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 12, 2014, 11:00:16 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 12, 2014, 06:58:09 PM
Leftist revolutionaries have come disproportionately from the ranks of shysterdom.

They get business degrees? :huh:

Law.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Berkut on September 13, 2014, 01:48:46 AM

I sincerely doubt I will have sent that many by the time I die.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Quote from: Camerus on September 12, 2014, 09:18:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2014, 09:14:04 PM

Yeah.  I would probably advise most young people nowadays to combine something like Classics with a double major in the more prosaic fields, like business.

Still, I think there is something to be said for the humanities' intellectual elite to focus in on areas like the Classics.  The problem is that too many humanities students erroneously believe themselves to be part of that elite.    ;)

The classics are a hobby, not a career path.  At least majoring in, say, film, gives you technical skills that you may be able to bring to a real, extant industry.  It's an old joke, but how many classics firms are hiring?  In what fashion does being able to quote Aeschylus make you a more marketable person?  In a related vein, for what reason do you need to pay somebody to read Aeschylus, anyway?  These are reasonable questions but for the humanities-industrial complex (and a not inconsiderable cross-section of Languish) you'd think they were on par with asking why it's ill-considered to rape babies or something.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

So, I don't agree that a double-major is some kind of good idea.  Sorry, I'm very tired so my thoughts are a little disorganized.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2014, 08:50:37 AM
The classics are a hobby, not a career path.  At least majoring in, say, film, gives you technical skills that you may be able to bring to a real, extant industry.  It's an old joke, but how many classics firms are hiring?  In what fashion does being able to quote Aeschylus make you a more marketable person?  In a related vein, for what reason do you need to pay somebody to read Aeschylus, anyway?  These are reasonable questions but for the humanities-industrial complex (and a not inconsiderable cross-section of Languish) you'd think they were on par with asking why it's ill-considered to rape babies or something.

What academic career path prepares one for, say, inland marine insurance sales?