Missouri Republican: 'Legitimate rape' rarely causes pregnancy

Started by CountDeMoney, August 20, 2012, 07:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2012, 02:13:14 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2012, 01:08:31 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 21, 2012, 01:01:36 PM
Maybe, maybe not.  I have a hard time feeling bad for someone who lets the process go along for seven or eight months before deciding to do something about it.

Agree completely. Cut off should be 16 weeks, in my opinion. If you can't figure out what to do in 2-4 months, then you'll be given another 5-6 months to work out what to do with the kid once it's born.

So why the fuck are you giving me such a hard time when we believe in the same damn thing?
UST?
PDH!

merithyn

So why the fuck are you giving me such a hard time when we believe in the same damn thing?

:huh:

I told you that I agreed with what you said, except the bit about parental notification. I don't understand the confusion.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2012, 12:21:08 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 21, 2012, 12:15:09 PM
Isn't there something of a demand for healthy white babies  to adopt?

Pretty sure there's a demand for healthy babies of all colours to adopt.  People generally aren't flying over to China to adopt because they specifically want a Chinese baby.

They're flying over to China because they specifically do not want an African-American baby, at least here.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

merithyn

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 21, 2012, 02:37:11 PM

They're flying over to China because they specifically do not want an African-American baby, at least here.

The cost may be more for an overseas adoption, but you often get a younger child and you don't risk the parents coming back and trying to take the kid.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2012, 02:36:30 PM

I told you that I agreed with what you said, except the bit about parental notification. I don't understand the confusion.

Do you recall:

Quote from: Meri
Oh? Well, as a woman who nearly died during two pregnancies, and then had serious and severe health complications after because of those pregnancies, I kind of feel as though I have a bit more right to have an opinion on this than someone who will never go through anything like this.

You don't know what will happen during a pregnancy until you go through it. It is not my right nor yours to force someone to deal with those because we feel it's the right thing to do. Period.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Meri's position is absurd.  You could use the same argument (you didn't go through this, you have no right to make laws governing it!), with all sorts of shit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2012, 02:49:20 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2012, 02:36:30 PM

Do you recall:

Quote from: Meri
Oh? Well, as a woman who nearly died during two pregnancies, and then had serious and severe health complications after because of those pregnancies, I kind of feel as though I have a bit more right to have an opinion on this than someone who will never go through anything like this.

You don't know what will happen during a pregnancy until you go through it. It is not my right nor yours to force someone to deal with those because we feel it's the right thing to do. Period.

As well as I remember this:

Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2012, 12:19:35 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2012, 12:13:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2012, 12:00:39 PM

Does adoption "fuck up their life"? :unsure:

Pregnancy certainly can.

:yeahright:

While pregnancy can have serious and long-term health consequences, it is pretty rare, and is pretty much confined to people with pre-existing medical conditions.  A healthy female, who receives appropriate medical supervision during pregnancy, has little to worry about.

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2012, 02:54:43 PM
Meri's position is absurd.  You could use the same argument (you didn't go through this, you have no right to make laws governing it!), with all sorts of shit.

Re-read what I posted, Raz. I'm pretty damn sure that I didn't say what you think I said.

Jacob

Meri's position is not absurd.

Maximus

You could use the same argument (you didn't go through this, you have no right to make laws governing it!), with all sorts of shit.
And you should. Any law should be able to stand up to this challenge.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on August 21, 2012, 03:26:12 PM
You could use the same argument (you didn't go through this, you have no right to make laws governing it!), with all sorts of shit.
And you should. Any law should be able to stand up to this challenge.

Why?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Syt

Regarding rape & pregnancy:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/08/semen-ovulation-fertility/

QuoteIf you're trying to avoid getting pregnant, here's another reason to mistrust the rhythm method of birth control: New research confirms that the fluid in semen, long dismissed as primarily a vehicle for sperm, contains a substance that can trigger ovulation and other pregnancy-supporting hormonal responses in female mammals.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Siege

That was a major find, Syt.
It changes everything I new about sex and reproduction for the foreseeable future.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Viking

Quote from: Siege on August 21, 2012, 03:54:23 PM
That was a major find, Syt.
It changes everything I new about sex and reproduction for the foreseeable future.

The same science which makes your guns work proves that the rhythm method doesn't.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Same science that makes his enemies guns work as well.