Missouri Republican: 'Legitimate rape' rarely causes pregnancy

Started by CountDeMoney, August 20, 2012, 07:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2012, 11:45:23 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 21, 2012, 11:41:36 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2012, 11:39:18 AM
I agree on all points except parental notification (and don't bother to try to convince me on that one; it will never happen).

Albeit outpatient, it's still a surgical procedure for minors.  Just like a tonsillectomy, except with an Oreck.

Although petitioning a judge in lieu of parental notification in a closed hearing is a fine alternative.

And when one of those girls have a father like Paul Ryan who forces them to have the child against their will, then what? Sorry, but no.

Notification doesn't have to mean permission.

I suspect (and I might be talking out of my ass here) that one of the big motivations in a pregnant teen getting an abortion is to not tell mom and/or dad.  Once that is done, there may be a little more room to look at alternatives.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on August 21, 2012, 11:48:14 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2012, 11:36:20 AMI agree. But the problem with one side is that it stops the other from doing what they feel is right. Because of that, it has to be "for" or "against".

Anti-Choicers believe that the babies deserve protection, and the mothers are at fault for getting pregnant. Pro-Choicers believe that the mothers deserve the right to protect themselves and their futures, and the embryos don't have any protective rights yet.

How do you sit on the fence in a situation like that?

I find it a little weird how the average Republican pro-lifer cares so much for the life of the child before it's born, but after it's born it can starve to death or die from easily preventable illnesses for all they care.

We're just crazy that way, Jake.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

I find it a little weird how the average Republican pro-lifer cares so much for the life of the child before it's born, but after it's born it can starve to death or die from easily preventable illnesses for all they care.

Not sure I'd play that card.  After all:

I find it a little weird how the average Democrat pro-lifer cares so much for the life of the child after it is born, but before it's born it can be surgically destroyed (murdered) for all they care.

Depending on your audience, what I wrote is equally valid.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2012, 11:50:45 AM
I agree on all points except parental notification (and don't bother to try to convince me on that one; it will never happen).

Albeit outpatient, it's still a surgical procedure for minors.  Just like a tonsillectomy, except with an Oreck.

Although petitioning a judge in lieu of parental notification in a closed hearing is a fine alternative.

And when one of those girls have a father like Paul Ryan who forces them to have the child against their will, then what? Sorry, but no.

I suspect (and I might be talking out of my ass here) that one of the big motivations in a pregnant teen getting an abortion is to not tell mom and/or dad.  Once that is done, there may be a little more room to look at alternatives.

Are you hinting at adoption?  YOU MONSTER.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2012, 11:50:45 AM

:blink:

I'd think one of the big motivations in a pregnant teen getting an abortion is that they don't want to fuck up their lives.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2012, 11:51:34 AMNot sure I'd play that card.  After all:

I find it a little weird how the average Democrat pro-lifer cares so much for the life of the child after it is born, but before it's born it can be surgically destroyed (murdered) for all they care.

I'll assume you mean "pro-choicer".

But yeah, I'll own up to that 100% since the inverse you propose make no sense. A fetus is not a child, especially in the early stages of development.

Are you merely playing at sophistry here, or do you genuinely believe an early stage fetus is a child?

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2012, 11:52:36 AM
:blink:

I'd think one of the big motivations in a pregnant teen getting an abortion is that they don't want to fuck up their lives.

I think he has a point, though.  I would have to think that a certain percentage (however small) of underage girls getting abortions would look at other options if their parents were going to know one way or the other.  Kids do stuff they don't want to do all the time just to keep mom & dad from finding out.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2012, 11:51:34 AM

Not sure I'd play that card.  After all:

Ooooh, ooooh, I got one!

I find it weird how Republicans refuse to allow the abortion of the severely prenatal handicapped, but have no problem applying the death penalty to them for committing crimes they can't comprehend.

I can do this all day.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on August 21, 2012, 11:54:58 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2012, 11:51:34 AMNot sure I'd play that card.  After all:

But yeah, I'll own up to that 100% since the inverse you propose make no sense. A fetus is not a child, especially in the early stages of development.

Are you merely playing at sophistry here, or do you genuinely believe an early stage fetus is a child?

Do you think a late stage fetus is a child?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 21, 2012, 11:54:58 AM

Yes meant pro-choicer.

The point of my sophistry is to point out that both sides can make nonsensical statements that appeal to their partisans while making little sense to those in the other camp.

derspiess