Missouri Republican: 'Legitimate rape' rarely causes pregnancy

Started by CountDeMoney, August 20, 2012, 07:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Some political parties just never learn...except to circle the wagons in other races.

QuoteA Republican Senate nominee found himself in hot water on Sunday for suggesting that instances of "legitimate rape" rarely results in pregnancy.

Rep. Todd Akin, a Republican who's locked in a hard-fought campaign in Missouri to unseat Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill, was answering a question regarding his position on abortion rights in instances when a woman is a victim of rape.

"People always want to make it into one of those things — well, how do you slice this particularly tough ethical question," Akin said in an interview on KTVI-TV, video of which was circulated by the Democratic super PAC American Bridge.

"First of all, from what I understand from doctors, [pregnancy from rape] is really rare. If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down," Akin said.

Regarding his opinion on whether to allow for an abortion in such instances, Akin added: "But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child."

Akin's comments had an almost immediate impact on Missouri's Senate race. McCaskill wrote on Twitter: As a woman & former prosecutor who handled 100s of rape cases,I'm stunned by Rep Akin's comments about victims this AM

In a statement, Akin said that he had misspoken.

"In reviewing my off-the-cuff remarks, it's clear that I misspoke in this interview and it does not reflect the deep empathy I hold for the thousands of women who are raped and abused every year," he said.

Akin emerged earlier this month from a tough three-way primary in Missouri, where he rallied social conservatives behind his candidacy. Democrats actually spent during that primary to help Akin win, viewing the six-term congressman as a less formidable challenger in the general election.

McCaskill, who was first elected in 2006, has become a top target for Republicans this fall, given President Barack Obama's unpopularity in the state and successive statewide victories for the GOP.

Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney's campaign issued a statement disagreeing with Akin.

"Governor Romney and Congressman Ryan disagree with Mr. Akin's statement, and a Romney-Ryan administration would not oppose abortion in instances of rape," said Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul.

Republicans need a net gain of four seats this fall in order to take over the Senate in the next Congress, and Democrats must defend 23 seats this fall. But unexpected Republican retirements and races that have become more competitive than expected have boosted Democratic hopes of maintaining their majority.

Viking

so, he said "Rape Rape" can't knock you up but "Rape" can?

The Republican War on Science by Chris Mooney

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Akin

QuoteThe comment was widely criticized.[34][35][36] Related news articles cited a 1996 article in an obstetrics and gynecology journal, which found that 5% of women who were raped became pregnant, which equaled about 32,000 pregnancies each year in the US alone.[37]

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

My friend commented on this by saying we need to exterminate baby boomers. I'm inclined to agree - the modern day problems do not come from people having right-wing or left-wing views but because baby boomers are both in power and out of touch, today more than ever.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on August 20, 2012, 07:38:13 AM
My friend commented on this by saying we need to exterminate baby boomers. I'm inclined to agree - the modern day problems do not come from people having right-wing or left-wing views but because baby boomers are both in power and out of touch, today more than ever.
If we start mass killings, you go first.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Nothing is funnier on the internet than the frothing rage at baby boomers. Shake your tiny impotent fists you dweebs.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on August 20, 2012, 07:38:13 AM

You just hate breeders and the very thought of men and women doing it makes you feel icky. Gay sex is icky, but I don't go about calling for the extermination of fags do I now.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2012, 08:00:08 AM
Nothing is funnier on the internet than the frothing rage at baby boomers. Shake your tiny impotent fists you dweebs.
you're old.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Quote from: HVC on August 20, 2012, 08:14:41 AM
you're old.

Is that really the best you can do?

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2012, 08:15:36 AM
you're old.

the truth is all i need. that comment will eat at your very soul, just wait for it :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Ed Anger

Quote from: HVC on August 20, 2012, 08:16:20 AM
you're old.

the truth is all i need. that comment will eat at your very soul, just wait for it :P

I guess.  :rolleyes:

I'll go take a shower so that eats away at me while I'm washing my balls, ok?

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2012, 08:17:26 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 20, 2012, 08:16:20 AM
you're old.

sounds like a plan :D

Syt

Old man balls.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

QuoteIf it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down

Hmmm...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on August 20, 2012, 08:24:35 AM

Old man balls.

What's wrong with that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Oh, I meant it more as new name for Angerbutt. Old Man Balls.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.