Missouri Republican: 'Legitimate rape' rarely causes pregnancy

Started by CountDeMoney, August 20, 2012, 07:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2012, 12:47:14 PMOh? Well, as a woman who nearly died during two pregnancies, and then had serious and severe health complications after because of those pregnancies, I kind of feel as though I have a bit more right to have an opinion on this than someone who will never go through anything like this.

You don't know what will happen during a pregnancy until you go through it. It is not my right nor yours to force someone to deal with those because we feel it's the right thing to do. Period.

Careful now, or Neil will suggest that you're not keeping to Jewish religious dietary laws.

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2012, 12:47:14 PM
It is not my right nor yours to force someone to deal with those because we feel it's the right thing to do. Period.
Wrong.  That's exactly how laws work.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on August 21, 2012, 12:48:45 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2012, 12:47:14 PMOh? Well, as a woman who nearly died during two pregnancies, and then had serious and severe health complications after because of those pregnancies, I kind of feel as though I have a bit more right to have an opinion on this than someone who will never go through anything like this.

You don't know what will happen during a pregnancy until you go through it. It is not my right nor yours to force someone to deal with those because we feel it's the right thing to do. Period.
Careful now, or Neil will suggest that you're not keeping to Jewish religious dietary laws.
No I wouldn't.  If I detected 'You have a penis and so you don't get a say' from merithyn, I would respond with crude slurs.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Quote from: Neil on August 21, 2012, 12:49:35 PM
It is not my right nor yours to force someone to deal with those because we feel it's the right thing to do. Period.

And when laws force someone to undergo a difficult, dangerous, and potentially life-threatening occurence to protect something that is nothing more than "potential", it is an unjust law.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Neil on August 21, 2012, 12:51:25 PM
No I wouldn't.  If I detected 'You have a penis and so you don't get a say' from merithyn, I would respond with crude slurs.

Not saying you shouldn't get a say because you're a man. I'm saying that determing whether a woman should be forced to go through something as arduous as a pregnancy is not something either you or I should have a say in. Quite frankly, that's about as personal a choice as any one person could make, and it doesn't belong in the hands of anyone but the one carrying the baby.

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2012, 12:52:35 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 21, 2012, 12:49:35 PM
And when laws force someone to undergo a difficult, dangerous, and potentially life-threatening occurence to protect something that is nothing more than "potential", it is an unjust law.
Maybe, maybe not.  I have a hard time feeling bad for someone who lets the process go along for seven or eight months before deciding to do something about it.

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2012, 12:54:52 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 21, 2012, 12:51:25 PM
Not saying you shouldn't get a say because you're a man. I'm saying that determing whether a woman should be forced to go through something as arduous as a pregnancy is not something either you or I should have a say in. Quite frankly, that's about as personal a choice as any one person could make, and it doesn't belong in the hands of anyone but the one carrying the baby.
Exactly, and that's why I haven't responded with crude slurs.  Nevertheless, I disagree.  The regulation of medical procedures and the creation and destruction of humans are both legitimate issues for public policy.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 21, 2012, 12:25:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2012, 12:00:03 PMYes meant pro-choicer.

The point of my sophistry is to point out that both sides can make nonsensical statements that appeal to their partisans while making little sense to those in the other camp.

Mine wasn't a nonsensical statement, though.

It was though as I don't think that for all Republican pro-lifers do they basically don't care about children starving to death.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 21, 2012, 12:40:33 PMSo either you don't think these levels of child malnutrition and what garbon terms "poor education and life outcomes" are "that bad" or you're ignoring them.

Yep.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Neil on August 21, 2012, 01:01:36 PM
Maybe, maybe not.  I have a hard time feeling bad for someone who lets the process go along for seven or eight months before deciding to do something about it.

Agree completely. Cut off should be 16 weeks, in my opinion. If you can't figure out what to do in 2-4 months, then you'll be given another 5-6 months to work out what to do with the kid once it's born.

merithyn

Quote from: Neil on August 21, 2012, 01:03:35 PM
The regulation of medical procedures and the creation and destruction of humans are both legitimate issues for public policy.

CountDeMoney

lol, Meri dropping memes on motherfuckers.  U GO GIRL

Siege

Presdident Barack Hussein Obama comes out of hiding to talk about the rape comments.
Whjat the economy cannot make him do, the comments by Akin does.
I wonder.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2012, 01:08:31 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 21, 2012, 01:01:36 PM

Agree completely. Cut off should be 16 weeks, in my opinion. If you can't figure out what to do in 2-4 months, then you'll be given another 5-6 months to work out what to do with the kid once it's born.

So why the fuck are you giving me such a hard time when we believe in the same damn thing?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: Jacob on August 21, 2012, 11:55:29 AM
If only the Georgia state legislature was satire. It's not. Hence my point about the Handmaid's Tale that garbon is having such difficulties with.

Bobby Franklin's been prefiling that bill as HB 1 for about 15 years now.  Usually he prefiles about 20 batshit crazy bills each session.  You'll notice it didn't make it - and never has made it - out of committee.