Started by CountDeMoney, August 20, 2012, 07:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2012, 11:52:36 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2012, 11:50:45 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2012, 11:45:23 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 21, 2012, 11:41:36 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2012, 11:39:18 AM
I agree on all points except parental notification (and don't bother to try to convince me on that one; it will never happen).

Albeit outpatient, it's still a surgical procedure for minors.  Just like a tonsillectomy, except with an Oreck.

Although petitioning a judge in lieu of parental notification in a closed hearing is a fine alternative.

And when one of those girls have a father like Paul Ryan who forces them to have the child against their will, then what? Sorry, but no.

Notification doesn't have to mean permission.

I suspect (and I might be talking out of my ass here) that one of the big motivations in a pregnant teen getting an abortion is to not tell mom and/or dad.  Once that is done, there may be a little more room to look at alternatives.

:blink:

I'd think one of the big motivations in a pregnant teen getting an abortion is that they don't want to fuck up their lives.

Does adoption "fuck up their life"? :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2012, 11:59:20 AM
Quote from: Jacob on August 21, 2012, 11:54:58 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2012, 11:51:34 AMNot sure I'd play that card.  After all:

I find it a little weird how the average Democrat pro-lifer cares so much for the life of the child after it is born, but before it's born it can be surgically destroyed (murdered) for all they care.

Depending on your audience, what I wrote is equally valid.

I'll assume you mean "pro-choicer".

But yeah, I'll own up to that 100% since the inverse you propose make no sense. A fetus is not a child, especially in the early stages of development.

Are you merely playing at sophistry here, or do you genuinely believe an early stage fetus is a child?

Do you think a late stage fetus is a child?

No-- he just thinks it's "especially not a child" early-on :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2012, 11:57:51 AM
I think he has a point, though.  I would have to think that a certain percentage (however small) of underage girls getting abortions would look at other options if their parents were going to know one way or the other.  Kids do stuff they don't want to do all the time just to keep mom & dad from finding out.

So we've gone from big motivations now to isolated cases?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on August 21, 2012, 12:00:39 PM

Totally possible.  For one, just recently we had a charter school whose rules had them kick out pregnant students (yay GED!).

Secondly, said student is probably not going to be doing so hot academically which can affect future outcomes.

Thirdly, how many of those mothers would actually end up giving up their child vs. trying to raise it with the subpar quality of life that they can provide? After all 9 months is a long time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2012, 12:01:40 PM
I think he has a point, though.  I would have to think that a certain percentage (however small) of underage girls getting abortions would look at other options if their parents were going to know one way or the other.  Kids do stuff they don't want to do all the time just to keep mom & dad from finding out.

I don't know.  I'd guess somewhere in between.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2012, 12:05:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2012, 12:01:40 PM

I don't know.  I'd guess somewhere in between.

So we should add parental notification requirements on gut feeling?

garbon

And to agree in sentiment to what Jacob said (though not the format) - why are we pushing so much to scare teen girls into giving birth when we don't even have the ability to care for the children that are currently born?

merithyn

Pregnancy certainly can. And while I'm a huge proponant for adoption before abortion, I could never presume to tell a woman to give up her body for nine months and risk serious health issues during that time simply because I believe that's what's right.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2012, 12:06:09 PM
So we should add parental notification requirements on gut feeling?

Ask Beeb.

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2012, 12:08:15 PM
And to agree in sentiment to what Jacob said (though not the format) - why are we pushing so much to scare teen girls into giving birth when we don't even have the ability to care for the children that are currently born?

We don't? 

Neil

Isn't there something of a demand for healthy white babies  to adopt?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2012, 12:13:16 PM

Pregnancy certainly can. And while I'm a huge proponant for adoption before abortion, I could never presume to tell a woman to give up her body for nine months and risk serious health issues during that time simply because I believe that's what's right.

That's true, I forgot health complications and risk of death.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on August 21, 2012, 12:15:09 PM

Not sure of the relevance considering that non-white teens have high rates of pregnancy and abortion.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on August 21, 2012, 12:13:16 PM

Pregnancy certainly can.

:yeahright:

While pregnancy can have serious and long-term health consequences, it is pretty rare, and is pretty much confined to people with pre-existing medical conditions.  A healthy female, who receives appropriate medical supervision during pregnancy, has little to worry about.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2012, 12:14:46 PM
We don't? 

Considering the number of children living in poverty/suffering from malnutrition (/dying of it)/poor education and life outcomes - I'd think we don't.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on August 21, 2012, 12:15:09 PM

Pretty sure there's a demand for healthy babies of all colours to adopt.  People generally aren't flying over to China to adopt because they specifically want a Chinese baby.