Missouri Republican: 'Legitimate rape' rarely causes pregnancy

Started by CountDeMoney, August 20, 2012, 07:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

5% of rapes result in pregnancy?

That cannot possibly be right, can it?

Why would the incidence of pregnancy be higher for rape than not rape?

Or is the overall pregnancy rate that high?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on August 20, 2012, 08:35:46 AM

:hmm:  Yeah, sounded like BS to me too when I read it.  With that kind of fertility advantage, just Darwinian pressures alone would ensure that very quickly all men would have a "rapist" gene.  Hmm, maybe feminists have a point?  :hmm:

Richard Hakluyt

My magic Balls of Power have a higher success rate than that  :D

garbon

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/FB-Unintended-Pregnancy-US.html

QuoteIn 2006, there were 52 unintended pregnancies for every 1,000 women aged 15–44. In other words, about 5% of reproductive-age women have an unintended pregnancy each year.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2012, 08:41:41 AM
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/FB-Unintended-Pregnancy-US.html

QuoteIn 2006, there were 52 unintended pregnancies for every 1,000 women aged 15–44. In other words, about 5% of reproductive-age women have an unintended pregnancy each year.
That would support the 5% figure, if every woman had unplanned unprotected sex exactly once a year.

alfred russel

In the middle ages, didn't people believe that rape couldn't result in pregnancy?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on August 20, 2012, 08:35:46 AM

Maybe there is a reporting bias?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Reminds me of Ken Clarke's 'rape rape' and 'proper rape' comments. The word Akin is looking for now is sorry.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

It should be interesting to see how the Romney-Ryan campaign continues to distance themselves from Congressman Akin, considering how Akin and Ryan were the sole cosponsors from HR 3 last year, the "No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act", which would've eliminated federal funding in cases of "forcible rape", differentiating it from "statutory rape".

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 20, 2012, 08:54:41 AM
Reminds me of Ken Clarke's 'rape rape' and 'proper rape' comments. The word Akin is looking for now is sorry.

I would think the words should be "congratulations to my opponent".

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2012, 08:55:29 AM
It should be interesting to see how the Romney-Ryan campaign continues to distance themselves from Congressman Akin, considering how Akin and Ryan were the sole cosponsors from HR 3 last year, the "No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act", which would've eliminated federal funding in cases of "forcible rape", differentiating it from "statutory rape".

Why should they need to continue if they've already said they do not agree with his comments?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2012, 09:00:10 AM
Why should they need to continue if they've already said they do not agree with his comments?

Because it's the top of the news cycle for the week, and it's going to be driven into the ground Berkut-style by everyone, from Democrats to the media to Akin's Mittenesque deflection, simply saying he "misspoke".

You think a single paragraph news release on a Sunday night is going to do the trick on this clusterfuck?  I know you're not that fucking naive, so drop the Yicratic Method.  There's only one person good at that bullshit around here.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2012, 09:08:09 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2012, 09:00:10 AM

Because it's the top of the news cycle for the week, and it's going to be driven into the ground Berkut-style by everyone, from Democrats to the media to Akin's Mittenesque deflection, simply saying he "misspoke".

You think a single paragraph news release on a Sunday night is going to do the trick on this clusterfuck?  I know you're not that fucking naive, so drop the Yicratic Method.  There's only one person good at that bullshit around here.

What's sad is that you're acting as though this is really relevant to the campaign and that they are stumbling around for an answer.  They've already established that they don't agree with his comments so isn't hard to imagine that they'd continue in that vein...and that's hardly interesting.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2012, 09:12:08 AM
What's sad is that you're acting as though this is really relevant to the campaign and that they are stumbling around for an answer.  They've already established that they don't agree with his comments so isn't hard to imagine that they'd continue in that vein...and that's hardly interesting.

They're going to be playing damage control all week;  they're not going to have a choice in the matter.