Missouri Republican: 'Legitimate rape' rarely causes pregnancy

Started by CountDeMoney, August 20, 2012, 07:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

They do need bigger studies, but the latex-pharmaceutical complex isn't interested in funding them.  That's why we need government to fund pure research!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

I don't see why. There's little health benefits that will come from such research unless you are also suggesting that STDs won't be spread using the withdrawal method.

Research that encourages individuals to act irresponsibly sounds like bad public policy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2012, 11:59:13 AM
So again - why should the Repub candidates need to so? We survived 4 years without leadership.

Because--and I'll fucking say it again for the cheap seats--in a tight election, Mittens has the opportunity to actually take a leadership stance weeks before his party's convention, further separating himself from the mere "I'm not Obama" position he's taken.  You have a Senate race that could determine the majority, with a big ol' snafu at the top of the week's news cycle that the entire media is chewing on, and there's an opportunity to put your stamp on the party.

Call me kooky, but I would think that would be a substantial improvement in his campaign, one that has not demonstrated him accepting any sort of leadership in his party.  Certainly beats trying to look presidential by going to London and insulting the Olympics.

But, if you don't see it as the opportunity he has before him, then hey.

QuoteI'm ignoring the bit about the GOP being more fractious as that's just patently false.

C'mon, man...you've got a bunch of out-of-control freshman House Republitards going in different directions between eliminating the deficit to eliminating women to eliminating fags, with a Speaker that can't control his causcus, old line GOP Senators distancing themselves from the Housetards, you've got birthers from Donald Trump to Sheriff Arapiao running their mouths, Rush doing one thing from the bully pulpit and Karl Rove doing something else with his megamillions...and even after this past primary season, you don't think the GOP's more fractured now over its own identity as a party for the first time since Watergate?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2012, 12:03:35 PM
Don't think Romney could be more clear there. :lol:

And like I said before, a Sunday night press release isn't going to cut it.  He'll be dealing with this all week.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2012, 12:15:20 PM

Forgive us for not taking advice from you to be objective.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Garbs:

I limit my argument to contraception only, of course. :mellow:

Besides advancing human knowledge, a worthwhile goal in itself, it would also be useful to know if birth control pills are necessary rather than simply useful.  People that are likely to use coitus interruptus when they can't are probably already doing it because they're living in a delusional, magical world.  People that can and do, as well as people that can and don't, however, could use the information to make better-educated decisions; and if science says that CI is as effective as its practicioners want it to be, the benefits are not just saving money but also avoiding the complications involved in taking chemicals, e.g. the CV effects of Yaz and Yasmin.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on August 20, 2012, 12:23:33 PM
Garbs:

Besides advancing human knowledge, a worthwhile goal in itself, it would also be useful to know if birth control pills are necessary rather than simply useful.  People that are likely to use coitus interruptus when they can't are probably already doing it because they're living in a delusional, magical world.  People that can and do, as well as people that can and don't, however, could use the information to make better-educated decisions; and if science says that CI is as effective as its practicioners want it to be, the benefits are not just saving money but also avoiding the complications involved in taking chemicals, e.g. the CV effects of Yaz and Yasmin.
:hmm:  Deciphering your post would be quite a feat in advancing human knowledge in itself.

Habbaku

Seemed pretty straightforward to me.  The only bit I don't get is "the CV effects of Yaz and Yasmin."
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

That's foolish then. Contraception doesn't happen in a vacuum.

As to the rest, I thought the common line was that withdrawal is as effective as condoms, not that it was as effective as birth control pills.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Cardiovascular.  It has an FDA black box warning, which is bad.  It also causes liver problems, hypertension, and THROMBOSIS, which is like my favorite word now.

(Just to say, I do not do work for Bayer.)
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 20, 2012, 12:23:15 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2012, 12:15:20 PM

Forgive us for not taking advice from you to be objective.

I hope you're forcibly raped with whore pills the size of bread dishes. 

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2012, 12:31:51 PM

As to the rest, I thought the common line was that withdrawal is as effective as condoms, not that it was as effective as birth control pills.

Is it?  The conventional wisdom seems more to me that withdrawal barely works at all, due to assumptions about pre-ejaculate and control issues.

Anyway, condoms aren't the proper comparator, since condoms should be used in new sexual relationships always anyway, regardless of other birth control method.  In that limited arena, contraception is not the only factor.  However, in a long-term monogamous relationship, contraception is ordinarily far more of a concern than disease transmission.  Unless you expect people to use condoms forever? :unsure:
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on August 20, 2012, 12:37:24 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2012, 12:31:51 PM

Is it?  The conventional wisdom seems more to me that withdrawal barely works at all, due to assumptions about pre-ejaculate and control issues.

Anyway, condoms aren't the proper comparator, since condoms should be used in new sexual relationships always anyway, regardless of other birth control method.  In that limited arena, contraception is not the only factor.  However, in a long-term monogamous relationship, contraception is ordinarily far more of a concern than disease transmission.  Unless you expect people to use condoms forever? :unsure:

Whenever anyone suggests that withdrawal method has benefits - the comparison is to condoms.

Is there anyone out there suggesting that the withdrawal method is as effective birth control (medicine form)? :blink:

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2012, 12:48:02 PM
Whenever anyone suggests that withdrawal method has benefits - the comparison is to condoms.

Is there anyone out there suggesting that the withdrawal method is as effective birth control (medicine form)? :blink:

I know plenty of Catholics who swear by it. And no, they don't have 15 kids.  :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Here's what Planned Parenthood says:

QuoteEach year, 2 out of 100 women whose partners use condoms will become pregnant if they always use condoms correctly.
Each year, 18 out of 100 women whose partners use condoms will become pregnant if they don't always use condoms correctly.

Less than 1 out of 100 women will get pregnant each year if they always take the pill each day as directed.
About 9 out of 100 women will get pregnant each year if they don't always take the pill each day as directed.

Of every 100 women whose partners use withdrawal, 4 will become pregnant each year if they always do it correctly.
Of every 100 women whose partners use withdrawal, 27 will become pregnant each year if they don't always do it correctly.