Silly names not just the forte of dazzling urbanites?

Started by Martinus, August 15, 2012, 12:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 18, 2012, 06:48:23 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 16, 2012, 09:52:04 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 16, 2012, 05:01:35 PM
Because earlier I was having a go at some genealogy, perhaps my first serious go, and looking at the census/births/deaths/marriage records it appears throughout the mid to late 19th century there were only ever about 6 or 7 Adam Carter* in the whole of England and Wales during that period, which is very surprising, to the point I thought there must be errors in the database.

I dug a bit into my dad's line a little while ago. That was a complete waste of time. He's Welsh, and apparently the Welsh have only six names that they use before they get lost. My great-grandfather's name was Meredith Williams. In the tiny town that he lived in (pop. ~ 500), there were something like 20 other Meredith Williams'. His father's name was James, and his mother's name was Mary Katherine, but she went by Elizabeth. (WTF??) There were at least three other couples named James & Mary Katherine Williams, and another several James & Elizabeth Williams. Talk about a nightmare trying to find which one is the progenitor of our line. :wacko:

When my wife's grandfather immigrated to Canada from Wales his last name was Pritchard-Williams.  When he landed in Canada the immigration officer told him it was too long and so assigned the last name of Williams to him.  Each of his sons then carried the Pritchard name as a middle name and one of our sons has it as a middle name as well.

@Cal, my maternal grandfather's name was Harry.

:cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Brazen on August 16, 2012, 04:18:31 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 16, 2012, 03:59:11 AM
Derek seems still relatively popular in the states. Not that common, but not unusual either.
I have a friend my age called Derek, but you don't see names repeated in subsequent generations. Typical names in my year at school include Darren and Anneka (two of each in my class alone) but those names seem to have died out entirely.
Given that the most popular athlete in New York City over the last seventeen years has been Derek Jeter, I have to assume that Derek is still a relatively popular name in the states.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 20, 2012, 05:39:44 AM
Given that the most popular athlete in New York City over the last seventeen years has been Derek Jeter, I have to assume that Derek is still a relatively popular name in the states.
:hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on August 20, 2012, 06:25:51 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 20, 2012, 05:39:44 AM
:hmm:
People tend to name their kids after famous people like athletes and movie stars.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2012, 08:39:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2012, 08:27:55 PM
What's interesting to me is how all the nicknames are taking place of the original names.

Also, I see where John went to. Got absorbed by Muhammad.

I think it got absorbed by Mohammed.

Living in a Muslim country must be confusing as hell.

A friend of mine that went to uni in Cairo told me that if you go into a lecture hall and shout "Achmed!" half the guys turn their heads and if you immediately follow with "no, I meant Abdullah!" the other half turn their heads.

They all have nicknames. It's as bad as chinese guys picking english names, only the arabs pick arab names. The is one of the reasons the FBI can't track many of these guys down. They all have the same birth name, then they have a kunya (convoluted version of patronyms) and a nickname and a nom-du-guerre. I can sympathise what with most guys in iceland being named either Jón or Guðmundur it gets confusing since the result is that most people have one of four last names.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 20, 2012, 07:11:29 AM
People Black People tend to name their kids after famous people like athletes and movie stars.

Hence my old downstairs neighbors, who named the teenybopper's kid "Kobe Jordan"...three months after Kobe's rape arrest.

Syt

In the early 90s, it seemed every second boy in Germany was named "Kevin". It has since become a name associated with lower class proles. (Similar to mispronounced French names, like Chantal or Jaqueline - Shun-tull and Shuck-uh-leen respectivle.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Pedrito

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2012, 01:58:20 PM
We named our daughter Lola, a name which quite a few people in our area had never heard of.

Isn't Lola usually a nickname for Dolores?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Syt

Quote from: Pedrito on August 20, 2012, 10:00:42 AM
We named our daughter Lola, a name which quite a few people in our area had never heard of.

L.

It was in Lolita.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Pedrito on August 20, 2012, 10:00:42 AM

L.

I had not heard it used that way here, but my wife was familiar with that usage in Argentina/Spain.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl with yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on August 20, 2012, 10:48:19 AM
I had not heard it used that way here, but my wife was familiar with that usage in Argentina/Spain.
This is the only person I've known named Lola:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVXmMMSo47s
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points