Main Menu

Voter ID controversy

Started by Martinus, August 17, 2012, 01:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Oh right.

Though everybody who actually gives a fuck seems to be against it.  :hmm:

Silent majority ftw?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on October 02, 2012, 08:36:55 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 02, 2012, 06:58:05 PM
Have you made a poll?

No, just a wild guess.

But seriously, yes: http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,7301.0.html :)

It's always fun to look back at old threads.  Great quote from Yi

QuoteJake: where are you picking up this demonization of the poor?

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 02, 2012, 09:12:00 PM
Oh right.

Silent majority ftw?

No, just Seedy stirring shit up.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 02, 2012, 09:58:41 PM
Oh right.

Silent majority ftw?

I stir nothing up.  I simply traffic in the truth.

Besides, you're actually going to expect a poll on democratic processes to have any validity with a board full of so many Europeans?  They don't understand democracy.  Hell, I bet half of them weren't even born into it.

Sheilbh

Oh right.

Silent majority ftw?
Lots of Euros with compulsory ID laws didn't understand the idea of voting without showing their papers :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

In Poland, they scratch the name of the candidate they want on a piece of black bread and drop it in the village well. Then they throw the Jews down the well.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 02, 2012, 10:25:41 PM
In Poland, they scratch the name of the candidate they want on a piece of black bread and drop it in the village well. Then they throw the Jews down the well.

Silly Ed. :rolleyes:

There are no Jews left in Poland.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

From Seedy and Raz it's to be expected, but Berkut also seems to think it's like they're bringing Jim Crow back.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 02, 2012, 11:26:36 PM
From Seedy and Raz it's to be expected, but Berkut also seems to think it's like they're bringing Jim Crow back.

Any rational observer can understand what's going on with all this.

katmai

Seedy, Raz and Berkut rational?!?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DontSayBanana

Why don't we flip the question around?  What's the compelling interest in forcing additional ID?  You have to register to vote, you need to bring your voter registration card, and you need to sign in, so you can only vote once per registration anyway.  And for some reason, we only hear about fraudulent registrations in groups coming from orgs like these True the Vote whackjobs.  Why don't we just take them out of the equation and leave the IDs alone?
Experience bij!

merithyn

Aren't they?

The point of the Jim Crow laws were to prevent blacks from voting against what the whites wanted, ie integration laws, etc. The point of these laws is to prevent minorities from voting against what the whites want, ie re-electing Obama.

If this were an across-the-board process that involved more states than the swing states, I'd understand it better. Not agree with it, but understand it. But it's not. How many Democrats have been thrown off the voting dockets versus how many Republicans based on "problems" like new addresses, typos, etc? Given that this is spear-headed by the Republicans, I'm going to guess that there's quite a discrepency there. Why the rush to get these laws into place just before the election? Why are there no Republicans out driving people to help them get their IDs to vote in the poorer sections of town?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 03, 2012, 08:56:15 AM
Why don't we flip the question around?  What's the compelling interest in forcing additional ID?  You have to register to vote, you need to bring your voter registration card, and you need to sign in, so you can only vote once per registration anyway.  And for some reason, we only hear about fraudulent registrations in groups coming from orgs like these True the Vote whackjobs.  Why don't we just take them out of the equation and leave the IDs alone?

It's not necessary to bring your voter registration card to vote in Illinois. You need only to register in advance, show up at the polls, and sign in. If you have your card, it's easier on the poll-workers to find the right ballot, but certainly not required.

And even in Illinois - the capital of Fraud - there have never been significant numbers of people showing up pretending to be someone else in order to vote. That alone says something.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 03, 2012, 08:56:15 AM

We'd already flipped the question around before. :huh:

And in a more sensible fashion as we didn't assume that all states require you to bring a voter registration card (which I've never done before). ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 08:58:41 AM

Aren't they?

The point of the Jim Crow laws were to prevent blacks from voting against what the whites wanted, ie integration laws, etc. The point of these laws is to prevent minorities from voting against what the whites want, ie re-electing Obama.

If this were an across-the-board process that involved more states than the swing states, I'd understand it better. Not agree with it, but understand it. But it's not. How many Democrats have been thrown off the voting dockets versus how many Republicans based on "problems" like new addresses, typos, etc? Given that this is spear-headed by the Republicans, I'm going to guess that there's quite a discrepency there. Why the rush to get these laws into place just before the election? Why are there no Republicans out driving people to help them get their IDs to vote in the poorer sections of town?

Except that you're the one making it about race. I think it is more about preventing those poor individuals, the one's who traditionally vote dem, from voting.  That's still pretty reprehensible but the goal isn't that they don't want minorities voting...but rather that they don't want people voting for the "wrong" party.

Also, I'll note that I think it's generally pretty bad to vote someone for an office just because they happen to belong to a particular race.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.