News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Voter ID controversy

Started by Martinus, August 17, 2012, 01:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Don't worry;  way things are going, we'll all be barcoded eventually.

Ideologue

Oh shit, Deeps, I remember now.  I had to fill out my own I-9 for my current gig, and get it notarized, and I remember having to explain at length the column system because the idiot employee kept telling me I needed a column A document in addition to my driver's license and SS card for him to seal it, so I could mail it off to Boston.  I politely kept myself from going home, getting my passport, and shoving it up his ass.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on August 30, 2012, 10:08:34 PM
Oh shit, Deeps, I remember now.  I had to fill out my own I-9 for my current gig, and get it notarized, and I remember having to explain at length the column system because the idiot employee kept telling me I needed a column A document in addition to my driver's license and SS card for him to seal it, so I could mail it off to Boston.  I politely kept myself from going home, getting my passport, and shoving it up his ass.

Yeah, thinking that a new hire needed a document from column A as well as one from both column B and C is a common mistake.  Another is to think that instead of one from column B and one from column C, 2 different documents from the same column is OK.

Whenever I'd offer someone a job and they accepted, I'd tell them when to report to start and tell them to bring their SS Card and driver's license.  If they said they didn't have one or the other, I'd ask, "Uhm, do you have a passport?" and when they told me that they didn't (I think only 1 person in the 20-some years I was involved in hiring ever didn't have both a SS Card and driver's license but did have a passport) then I'd start reading from the list of acceptable documents (which is printed right on the back of the I-9) and asking if they had any of them.

I can't recall anybody ever not having a column B document of some kind, but a few times I ran across someone who somehow didn't have a SS Card or any other column C document.  Usually it was someone who had lost their SS Card and hadn't bothered to get a replacement (which was a problem if I needed someone to start right away because technically the I-9 has to be filled out within 72 hours, and it can take a week or so to get a replacement SS Card) but once or twice I had someone who had somehow managed to slip through the cracks in the system and had never had a SS Card.

Berkut

What is the point though dps?

The fact that you have to establish identity to get a job has nothing to do with voting. I don't think the US Constitution includes "must be employable" as a voting requirement.

The entire argument based on "Hey, it isn't hard to get ID/everyone should have one anyway" is irrelevant. The point of these laws is simply to keep some people who Republicans know tend to vote Democrat from voting. Pointing out that the law can be complied with, or that people too lazy to get an ID are SOL misses the point.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: Berkut on August 30, 2012, 11:19:47 PM

The fact that you have to establish identity to get a job has nothing to do with voting. I don't think the US Constitution includes "must be employable" as a voting requirement.

No, it doesn't really have anything to do with voting--it was a response to the question of why have a DL if you don't drive.  Which, if you don't drive, there is no reason to have.  OTOH, if you don't drive, a state-issue non-driver's ID is a good thing to have. 

As far as the voting part, I think all the Americans here are pretty much in agreement that voter impersonation isn't really a problem when it comes to voting fraud.

Siege

Quote from: Berkut on August 30, 2012, 11:19:47 PM

The entire argument based on "Hey, it isn't hard to get ID/everyone should have one anyway" is irrelevant. The point of these laws is simply to keep some people who Republicans know tend to vote Democrat from voting. Pointing out that the law can be complied with, or that people too lazy to get an ID are SOL misses the point.

Since when ar uo a demoncrt?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2012, 12:40:56 AM
Don't see garbon that way.  I see him as urbane, cold, and callous.  He's everything that Marty wants to be but laughably fails at.

I'm not sure whether I should be happy or sad.  Also, I'm not nearly as unfeeling as I'm made out to be.  :Embarrass:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Can we talk about passports? How dreadful is it that you either have to spend the fee and then wait to get a copy of your birth certificate (which in living memory I know of individuals who didn't really have proper ones / didn't even know their exact age) or pay an extra $145 to have the passport agency verify your citizenship?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Getting a passport is a breeze in civilized countries.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: garbon on August 31, 2012, 12:06:07 AM
Can we talk about passports? How dreadful is it that you either have to spend the fee and then wait to get a copy of your birth certificate (which in living memory I know of individuals who didn't really have proper ones / didn't even know their exact age) or pay an extra $145 to have the passport agency verify your citizenship?

I'm reasonably sure that there are still living people in the US who don't have proper birth certificates.  I haven't been able to find out exactly when the registration of all live births became legally required everywhere in the US (sources vary), but it certainly wasn't before 1930, and there are still plenty of people 82+ around.  And beyond that, just because it's legally required doesn't mean that it's always actually done in practice.  And then there are people who lose their birth certificates, and when they go to get a copy, find out that all the birth records in the county they were born in were lost when the county courthouse burnt down 7 years ago.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 10:00:51 PM

MARK OF THE BEAST.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: dps on August 31, 2012, 02:48:38 AM

I'm reasonably sure that there are still living people in the US who don't have proper birth certificates.  I haven't been able to find out exactly when the registration of all live births became legally required everywhere in the US (sources vary), but it certainly wasn't before 1930, and there are still plenty of people 82+ around.  And beyond that, just because it's legally required doesn't mean that it's always actually done in practice.  And then there are people who lose their birth certificates, and when they go to get a copy, find out that all the birth records in the county they were born in were lost when the county courthouse burnt down 7 years ago.

Yeah I just wasn't sure about now.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 31, 2012, 07:11:32 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 10:00:51 PM

MARK OF THE BEAST.

I was thinking more along the lines of purchasing preferences, but yeah, that works too.

Ed Anger

I'd hate to see my purchases in a database. RPG's and the Hustler store.

YOUR MOVE MARKETING DEPARTMENT.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Took me about fifteen minutes to get my birth certificate.

And State even gave it back when they were done. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)