News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Voter ID controversy

Started by Martinus, August 17, 2012, 01:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 20, 2012, 09:12:31 AM
Guys, I know all the "arguments" against the voter ID requirement - I watch the Daily Show. The thing is, they are just not convincing. The fact that voting fraud is so rare is not a good argument, really - I find it surprising but in itself it's as good an argument as the one saying you shouldn't get health insurance if you have never been sick before. And the inconvenience for the too stupid or too lazy to get a free ID card is not really convincing either.

Who cares?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2012, 09:08:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2012, 09:06:30 AM
Got a letter on Saturday asking me to apply to be a election day poll worker.

You could wear your best heels and matching handbag.

No handbag. :(

I'd love to get one of those church lady hats though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Guys, I know all the "arguments" against the voter ID requirement - I watch the Daily Show. The thing is, they are just not convincing. The fact that voting fraud is so rare is not a good argument, really - I find it surprising but in itself it's as good an argument as the one saying you shouldn't get health insurance if you have never been sick before. And the inconvenience for the too stupid or too lazy to get a free ID card is not really convincing either.

The vast majority of the civil rights organizations fully support voter ID card initiatives, believe it or not, and they have since the 1960s;  hell, a lot of the southern states have enacted voter ID laws since 2011 have done so with several years' run-up, preparation and education.  Nobody has a problem with that.  However, some of these recent legislative initiatives are designed to impact this year's election in a real fucking hurry, designed specifically to cause havoc and administrative nightmares for voters, and that's where the problem is. 

Too stupid or lazy to get a free ID card?   The fact that this nation does not, nor has it ever, required anybody to have an "ID card" shows how fucked up you eastern Europeans think.  Now, I know your concept of democracy is less than a generation old, and you fucking eastern bloc retards can be forgiven for knowing very little about it, so we'll just go ahead and ignore your Jew-hating opinions.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2012, 09:15:04 AM

I'd have mentioned it, but I figured you had one already.  :P  Modestly wide brim, with a fall bouquet.  Understated for the season.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2012, 09:21:07 AM

The vast majority of the civil rights organizations fully support voter ID card initiatives, believe it or not, and they have since the 1960s;  hell, a lot of the southern states have enacted voter ID laws since 2011 have done so with several years' run-up, preparation and education.  Nobody has a problem with that.  However, some of these recent legislative initiatives are designed to impact this year's election in a real fucking hurry, designed specifically to cause havoc and administrative nightmares for voters, and that's where the problem is. 

Too stupid or lazy to get a free ID card?   The fact that this nation does not, nor has it ever, required anybody to have an "ID card" shows how fucked up you eastern Europeans think.  Now, I know your concept of democracy is less than a generation old, and you fucking eastern bloc retards can be forgiven for knowing very little about it, so we'll just go ahead and ignore your Jew-hating opinions.

Hey now, he watches the Daily Show. He is well informed on everything.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

If nothing else this thread shows how tenuous democratic principles are in former communist countries.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2012, 09:22:02 AM

I'd have mentioned it, but I figured you had one already.  :P  Modestly wide brim, with a fall bouquet.  Understated for the season.

No, I've only a small hat with black netting to cover part of the face. :(

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2012, 09:32:34 AM
No, I've only a small hat with black netting to cover part of the face. :(

Well, you always need one for a funeral.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 20, 2012, 09:29:54 AM
If nothing else this thread shows how tenuous democratic principles are in former communist countries.
Or former capitalist countries, for that matter.  :(

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2012, 09:22:02 AM

Bullshit, grabon needs to go full Frederica Wilson.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Do we really need to point out that getting health insurance, which is something that a private individual does to protect themselves against a risk, is not really similar to passing laws, which is something society does in order to protect individuals from other individuals?

I hesitate to say this may be your worst analogy yet, but only because that just seems like a challenge to you to come up with something even more missing the point next time.

It is a law that does not address a problem - well, at least it doesn't address a problem that those who are passing it are using to jsutify it - it DOES address the problem of Democrats getting elected more than the Republicans would like.

The intent of those passing the law is simply to keep people they don't want to vote from voting. Pointing out that people can get around that intent doesn't make the law any more justified. Pointing out that people are stupid and lazy doesn't either - stupid and lazy people are not barred from voting, last I checked.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Considering these laws are being passed right here in the USA, I don't think we should work too hard trying to feel superior.

Of course, this is just example 45,876 that even people who claim to understand and respect liberty mostly do not.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Syt

Dunno, garbon is for me more like
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on August 20, 2012, 09:49:48 AM

Considering these laws are being passed right here in the USA, I don't think we should work too hard trying to feel superior.

Of course, this is just example 45,876 that even people who claim to understand and respect liberty mostly do not.

The fact that these laws are being passed in the US does not at all diminish my ability to feel superior. Quite the opposite actually. ;)