And we're back!

Main Menu

Voter ID controversy

Started by Martinus, August 17, 2012, 01:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 02, 2012, 11:56:48 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 02, 2012, 11:26:36 PM
From Seedy and Raz it's to be expected, but Berkut also seems to think it's like they're bringing Jim Crow back.

Any rational observer can understand what's going on with all this.

So then who is it you depend on for that insight?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2012, 09:18:45 AM
Except that you're the one making it about race. I think it is more about preventing those poor individuals, the one's who traditionally vote dem, from voting.  That's still pretty reprehensible but the goal isn't that they don't want minorities voting...but rather that they don't want people voting for the "wrong" party.

Also, I'll note that I think it's generally pretty bad to vote someone for an office just because they happen to belong to a particular race.

I realized after I posted that I should have probably worded it better. I was in a rush to get it down before I went back to work.  :blush:

The similarities are still there, even taking race out of the equation of what's going on now. The point of the Jim Crow laws were to prevent one group of people from voting against what another group wanted. The point of these changes are the same.

And I agree with you on your second note completely, just as I don't believe in voting for someone based on gender, though I think religion can be a factor.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2012, 09:18:45 AM
Also, I'll note that I think it's generally pretty bad to vote someone for an office just because they happen to belong to a particular race.

Just another shit sandwich from our national curse of White Supremacy.  Hopefully this kind of thing will be all but gone in another generation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 09:47:18 AM
The similarities are still there, even taking race out of the equation of what's going on now. The point of the Jim Crow laws were to prevent one group of people from voting against what another group wanted. The point of these changes are the same.

The issue is that when one bring Jim Crow into the discussion - it brings in another entirely awful dimension and I think confusing the aims of such measures.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2012, 10:00:14 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 09:47:18 AM

The issue is that when one bring Jim Crow into the discussion - it brings in another entirely awful dimension and I think confusing the aims of such measures.

Agreed, but it doesn't change the similarities.

Of course, even the Republican party might blanch at some of the stuff done under Jim Crow.  :ph34r:

derspiess

Nah, we're actually pretty cool with it, Meri.  It's our secret agenda, in fact :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 11:02:07 AM
Nah, we're actually pretty cool with it, Meri.  It's our secret agenda, in fact :ph34r:

I was talking about The Party, not Republicans. There's a massive difference.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 11:12:08 AM
I was talking about The Party, not Republicans. There's a massive difference.

The Party?  Is that the secret cabal actually running the Republicans?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2012, 11:13:27 AM
The Party?  Is that the secret cabal actually running the Republicans?

http://www.gop.com/our-party/leadership/

QuoteReince Priebus
Chairman
Reince Priebus was elected Chairman of the Republican National Committee on January 14, 2011. In his first year as Chairman, Reince oversaw a dramatic turnaround of the RNC, building it into a strong and effective organization for electing Republicans in 2012.

Under Reince's leadership, the RNC raised more major donor money in an off year than in the history of the RNC.  At the same time, the RNC has broken new ground, deploying new communication strategies and innovative technology for voter outreach.

Reince is committed to uniting the Republican Party to reach our common goal – electing Republicans.   With sound fiscal stewardship, a dedication to conservative principles, and a message of freedom and prosperity, Reince continues to lead the party toward victory in 2012.

A successful chairman of the Republican Party of Wisconsin, Reince created the framework that brought about one of the most historic election cycles Wisconsin has ever experienced.  During Reince's tenure, Republicans in Wisconsin not only defeated Russ Feingold by electing citizen legislator Ron Johnson to the Senate, but they gained two additional U.S. House seats, won the Governor's office, took back both the state Assembly and the state Senate and defeated the leaders of both of those chambers.

Reince has a long history in Republican politics, having served on his first campaign at the age of 16.  Since then, he worked his way up through the ranks of the Republican Party of Wisconsin as 1st Congressional District Chairman, State Party Treasurer, First Vice Chair, and eventually State Party Chairman.  In 2009 Reince served as General Counsel to the RNC, a role in which he volunteered his time to help manage the RNC's most difficult challenges.

A proud native of Kenosha, Wisconsin, Reince is happily married to his wife, Sally.  They have two young children, Jack and Grace.

derspiess

That's pretty damning, Meri.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2012, 11:49:10 AM
That's pretty damning, Meri.

I guess I'd hope that the point of the Republican (or any party) is to get the message out, help the country be great, etc. No, not this guy. His whole purpose is to get his folks elected. And that, to me, is the biggest problem with politics today. So yeah, to me, that's pretty damning.

Valmy

Wait so the Republican Party leadership has the singular shocking insideous goal of...electing Republicans?!

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 03, 2012, 11:50:55 AM
His whole purpose is to get his folks elected.

Yeah, just like any RNC or DNC chairman throughout history.

Valmy

I guess I'd hope that the point of the Republican (or any party) is to get the message out, help the country be great, etc. No, not this guy. His whole purpose is to get his folks elected. And that, to me, is the biggest problem with politics today. So yeah, to me, that's pretty damning.

Yeah these are not civic organizations really.  There is a shitload of money and power at stake.  Both parties are massive corporations in the business of power and results is what they are interested in not some altruistic love of the republic.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2012, 11:53:38 AM

Yeah these are not civic organizations really.  There is a shitload of money and power at stake.  Both parties are massive corporations in the business of power and results is what they are interested in not some altruistic love of the republic.

You're making my point for me. It's this mentality that has led to the BS that's going on with voter ID laws.