Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Started by derspiess, April 04, 2012, 12:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Yes
31 (62%)
No
14 (28%)
Only Jaron
5 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 50

derspiess

Recently-enacted laws in some states (and subsequent DOJ action in some cases to nullify the laws) to require voters to show photo ID when voting have created some controversy here in the US.

What is Languish's opinion on the matter?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Opponents don't necessarily have a problem with the concept of providing photo ID, in and of itself (even THE MOST REVEREND Al Sharpton agrees on this point);  where the problem lies is the parameters states are attempting to establish regarding which photo IDs are acceptable, and which are not. 
And not all Photo IDs are created equal.

Valmy

So long as they never require them to be Government ID Cards or Driver's License.  Wasn't that part of the deal that we would never require people to get those sorts of things?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Does it matter? Elections in the US are decided by courts anyway.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

This requirement sounds fine in theory, but the devil may be in the details.  Given how Republicans are far more disproportionally motivated to enact such requirements, my guess is that there is a serious voter suppression effect at stake that's biased in one ideological direction.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2012, 01:06:05 PM
So long as they never require them to be Government ID Cards or Driver's License.  Wasn't that part of the deal that we would never require people to get those sorts of things?

That's part of the problem;  look at the new photo ID voter law passed in Texas:  Concealed carry gun permit?  Yes.  Student photo ID from a state university? Nope.

And then Texans wonder why the DOJ gets involved.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2012, 02:00:59 PM

That's part of the problem;  look at the new photo ID voter law passed in Texas:  Concealed carry gun permit?  Yes.  Student photo ID from a state university? Nope.

It's been a while since I was in college, but do university IDs contain any address info?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2012, 02:03:55 PM
It's been a while since I was in college, but do university IDs contain any address info?

And what IDs would contain that info besides government issued IDs?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2012, 02:07:45 PM

And what IDs would contain that info besides government issued IDs?

Dunno.  What's your problem with government issued IDs?

Sheilbh

Do passports?
Let's bomb Russia!

MadBurgerMaker

They don't (or at least the ones I still have) contain anything except my name and student ID numbers, with one having the date it was issued as well.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2012, 02:00:59 PM

No.
And neither do concealed carry permits.

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2012, 02:12:34 PM
Do passports?

No :blush:

I guess they at least prove citizenship though, which is what the Texas law is trying to do.