News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Voter ID controversy

Started by Martinus, August 17, 2012, 01:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Battling strawmen and conspiracy theories going head to head.  What a great country I live in.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Seems these groups(and I'm sure there are plenty on the Democrat side as well) are spending an awful lot of money and effort to affect only those elections which are essentially ties.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

It's really scary when the conviction in one's ideology becomes so strong that it becomes justifiable in their mind to cynically subvert the democratic process.  That's how free countries turn authoritarian gradually.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2012, 11:46:27 AM
So are you saying that Republicans aren't for democracy?

Yes, that is precisely what I am saying :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on October 02, 2012, 03:14:13 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2012, 11:46:27 AM
So are you saying that Republicans aren't for democracy?

Yes, that is precisely what I am saying :lol:
I agree that it wasn't a fair implication.  What that remark hinted at was that disenfranchisement was a partisan issue, and not really one of fundamental values of this country.  It's an extremely despicable sentiment either way, but let's at least identify the subversive modes of thinking on display accurately.

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2012, 03:28:28 PM
I just voted. :ccr

I didn't think American Idol started up again until next year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2012, 03:29:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2012, 03:28:28 PM
I just voted. :ccr

I didn't think American Idol started up again until next year.

There's dozens of other shows that take in viewer votes though.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on October 02, 2012, 03:27:03 PM
I agree that it wasn't a fair implication.  What that remark hinted at was that disenfranchisement was a partisan issue, and not really one of fundamental values of this country.  It's an extremely despicable sentiment either way, but let's at least identify the subversive modes of thinking on display accurately.

I support voter ID laws.  I don't necessarily support disenfranchisement, unless it concerns a person (convicted felon, non-citizen or false identity) that is not legally entitled to vote in the first place.

And stop stalking me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on October 02, 2012, 04:18:28 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 02, 2012, 03:27:03 PM

I support voter ID laws.  I don't necessarily support disenfranchisement, unless it concerns a person (convicted felon, non-citizen or false identity) that is not legally entitled to vote in the first place.

And stop stalking me.
I'm not intentionally stalking you.  You just happen to constantly provoke me by your incessant and offensive stupidity, so I keep treating you like I treated Hansy back when he posted.

As for voter ID laws, I simply do not buy the premise of an informed person being for them without the intent to disenfranchise.  Sorry, that passes the smell test about as well as an opposition to the Civil Rights Act being just a defense of state rights.  I'm just not buying your "I support voter ID laws, but I don't support disenfranchisement" story, and I don't think any supporter of democracy should even feign respect for such outright lies.

Sorry for the harsh tone, but these attempts by Republicans to subvert democracy to get in power have gotten to me personally in a way that no other political bullshit of this season did.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on October 02, 2012, 04:33:45 PM
As for voter ID laws, I simply do not buy the premise of an informed person being for them without the intent to disenfranchise.  Sorry, that passes the smell test about as well as an opposition to the Civil Rights Act being just a defense of state rights.  I'm just not buying your "I support voter ID laws, but I don't support disenfranchisement" story, and I don't think any supporter of democracy should even feign respect for such outright lies.

You have a lot of people to bitch at then, because 67% of Languish agrees with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on October 02, 2012, 06:35:24 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 02, 2012, 04:33:45 PM

You have a lot of people to bitch at then, because 67% of Languish agrees with me.

Have you made a poll?

derspiess