News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Guild Wars 2 Roll Call

Started by Martinus, August 13, 2012, 08:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Syt on September 04, 2012, 03:47:19 AM
That one's pretty finicky. You have to look for the beams that run up the building. Also, the "entry" point is a broken wall that you have to jump on first. I only figured it out because I watched others do it.

Yeah I see the beams, and I am pretty sure I found the starting point Ijust can't get more than 1/5 of the way up.  I haven't seen anyone esle go up there.

I wonder how long until there is a Youtube video.  :hmm:

EDIT:  Also the camera is pretty bad for platforming things like this.  It isn't great in general, but really bad if you need to make precise jumps.

EDIT2:  There is a Youtube walkthrough on that specific spot. brb :lol:

EDIT3:  I got it,  I was starting from the wrong place.

Martinus

A bit more on my learning a guardian - it's actually an interesting class. The initial experience makes it look like it is the easy mode, but as you progress, you can actually die easily (fun fact - the guardian, along with the elementalist and the engineer are three "low health" classes, with the lowest health pool of all classes) and you really need to know your abilities well to survive (they are the class with the weakest ranged attack capacity so fighting any harder boss, such as a champion, relies on your skill a lot, as otherwise, you can be virtually one-shot).

Right now I am expertimenting with a block-heavy (unlike WoW, block does not do damage mitigation but virtually negates a single attack - so timing is very important, so you make sure it blocks the super-strong attack and not an auto-attack for example) mace/focus (silly-enough, a guardian's best defensive offhand is not a shield but a focus) build which allows you to self-generate a combo granting mass retaliation to all allies in vicinity.  :cool:

frunk

Quote from: sbr on September 04, 2012, 03:29:22 AM
Can anyone get to every Vista point just by walking or jumping, specifically no special skills involved?

Almost all of them, yes.  There are some where you might have to talk to someone in the area.

Berkut

Shared bank is awesome.

Shared ridiculously tiny bank is awesomely stupid.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grallon

Just bought this.  Will see if it`s any good when I return from vacations.

EDIT: one thing though, it is infected with the detestable asian `pay to win`mindset?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on September 04, 2012, 08:10:04 AM
Shared bank is awesome.

Shared ridiculously tiny bank is awesomely stupid.

I thought so, too. But if you deposit your collectibles, it frees up LOTS of space, and usually keeps your char's inventory uncluttered.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Yes, the collectibles thing is very nice.

I really like that everyone can harvest resources for everyone else pretty seamlessly.

But my "main" is not even level 20, and my bank is already full.

0 rows returned

frunk

There really is very little pay to win in this game.  There's pay to get some benefits, but the benefits consist of:

1.  Cosmetic Changes
2.  Extra character slots
3.  Extra communal bank space
4.  Increased Experience gain
5.  Increased Karma gain

The last two are the closest to p2w, but the progression in the game is fast enough that I'd consider them completely unneeded.  In fact the experience gain is probably slightly detrimental since it will cause you to overlevel more content (which isn't nearly as much fun).  Not to mention you can acquire the last two items by other means, and all the items are purchaseable using ingame currency (by spending gold for gems).  Right now the exchange rate of ~24 silver per gem makes things prohibitively expensive if you wanted to buy the gems ingame, but we'll see where that goes.  As an example my level 44 character has around 2 1/2 gold, if I wanted to buy the extra bank space it would cost 144 gold.  Gold earning does ramp up pretty fast, so I'm guessing a top level character probably could afford it.

Edit: Of course you can generate gold by paying as well.

frunk

Quote from: Berkut on September 04, 2012, 08:32:33 AM

I really like that everyone can harvest resources for everyone else pretty seamlessly.

Make sure you get at least 8 space bags/boxes for your character.  I can make them for you if you want, I need enough copper or leather scraps.  It's easy enough to do it yourself though, by picking up one of the armor crafts (tailor, leatherworker, armorsmith).
I wouldn't bother keeping "blue" items except ones you plan to use shortly, but hold onto "greens" or better.

Martinus

Could I ask what fills up your bank space?

Also, every "armor" profession can make 8-slot bags at level 0, which coupled with collectible deposits means I almost never use the actual bank.

Martinus

Quote from: frunk on September 04, 2012, 08:46:58 AM

Make sure you get at least 8 space bags/boxes for your character.  I can make them for you if you want, I need enough copper or leather scraps.  It's easy enough to do it yourself though, by picking up one of the armor crafts (tailor, leatherworker, armorsmith).
I wouldn't bother keeping "blue" items except ones you plan to use shortly, but hold onto "greens" or better.

I salvage every piece of equipment I find and cannot use or that is worse than the one I am currently using - even greens (though I try to use higher level salvage tools, to recover enchantments), and I obviously sell all the junk.

This means that once I clear my bags etc. I may have about 10 items in total in my bank (which are some stuff like the mystic coins, or transmutation stones).

I can't figure out what keeps Berkut's bank full.

Richard Hakluyt

About the gems............I'm being offered 100 gems for the 30-odd silver, not 30 silver per gem; that is when I visit the actual trading post, it says 30s per gem bu then offers 100 for that price  :hmm:

frunk

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 04, 2012, 10:18:56 AM
About the gems............I'm being offered 100 gems for the 30-odd silver, not 30 silver per gem; that is when I visit the actual trading post, it says 30s per gem bu then offers 100 for that price  :hmm:

Could be, I haven't looked too closely at it.  In which case I may be spending my gold for an extra character slot earlier than I expected.

Richard Hakluyt

I'm saving up for my level 30 tome.

For those not playing the game 1 gold is a lot of money in GW2. Whether inflation will set in as time passes will be interesting to see, though I suspect that the gems may operate as an excellent money sink  :cool:

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on September 04, 2012, 09:05:10 AM
Quote from: frunk on September 04, 2012, 08:46:58 AM

I salvage every piece of equipment I find and cannot use or that is worse than the one I am currently using - even greens (though I try to use higher level salvage tools, to recover enchantments), and I obviously sell all the junk.

This means that once I clear my bags etc. I may have about 10 items in total in my bank (which are some stuff like the mystic coins, or transmutation stones).

I can't figure out what keeps Berkut's bank full.

Extra items, food, crafted materials that don't go into collectables.

0 rows returned