Main Menu

Guild Wars 2 Roll Call

Started by Martinus, August 13, 2012, 08:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: frunk on September 05, 2012, 07:59:19 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 05, 2012, 06:49:50 PM
I've played for 80 hours and have yet to do any grinding  :hmm:

I have two sets of characters.......a couple of hot female humans who shoot things and a family of arrogant Asuran males into necromancy, elementalism and all that stuff  :D

In order to finish Dreadhaunt Cliffs I'm going to have to do a bit of grinding, but it's my own fault.  There were these Dwarven Keys that were dropping, and I thought they were for an event that I had finished.  I got destroyed like 8 of them.  I hadn't gotten to that point though, and now I'm two short of the six that I need.

So, as a warning, when doing Dreadhaunt Cliffs don't get rid of the Dwarven Keys.

Wouldn't it be better to go to a lower level area that you haven't explored yet (e.g. another race's starting area)?

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on September 06, 2012, 02:58:17 AM
Quote from: katmai on September 05, 2012, 07:37:59 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 05, 2012, 05:24:16 AM
Quote from: katmai on September 04, 2012, 08:33:36 PM
I will demand a refund from Marti if this game sucks.

oh and by the way

Katmai.6492

Are you playing one of these fat, snow-dwelling guys or someone unlike you?
I don't know, are you playing a moronic cromagnon looking kiddiefucker or someone unlike you?

Wow, you mad bro?

Calling someone a moronic kiddiefucker in response to being called fat (which you, btw, are) is a bit of an overkill.  :lol:

Not gonna clutter this thread up anymore, and won't ask you to stop being a putz as that isn't possible either.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

Since a lot of people are now in the range to try their first dungeon(s), here's a very informative post summarizing what to expect of the experience:

QuoteIf you're coming from another fantasy MMO, then the concept of dungeons won't be anything new to you. They're still the instanced, group-based PvE zones you know and love. There are differences in how dungeons in Guild Wars 2 are designed, however, and understanding those differences will greatly increase your enjoyment.

First and foremost, without the holy trinity of other games, you don't have dedicated tanks, healers and damage dealers. Instead, everyone needs to be accountable for their own health and well-being. Some professions bring a lot of support and utility to the fight depending on their build, but you can't sit back and put your life in someone else's hands the way you can in other games. Without tanks, everyone needs to contribute to managing aggro, enemy positioning and crowd control. This responsibility won't fall upon a single player (the traditional tank) while everyone else just focuses on their optimal damage rotation. That kind of gameplay is static and stale, and has no place in the next generation of MMOs.

The second major difference is that each dungeon is split into two distinct experiences: Story Mode and Explorable Mode. The main goal in this article will be to explain the differences in those two modes, increase your understanding of their place in the game, and help you enter them with the proper expectations.

STORY MODE

Story Mode is your level-appropriate, story experience. The content is meant to be enjoyed as soon as you are high enough to enter and participate, and the difficulty is scaled to accommodate 5 players of that level. It's designed on the assumption that players will clear it once, and then move on.

You'll unlock your first Story Mode dungeon at level 30 with Ascalonian Catacombs. While this may seem a little late in the game for an introductory dungeon experience relative to other MMOs, there's good reason for it. In Guild Wars 2, even basic dungeon delving is aimed at delivering a real challenge. By level 30, you'll have unlocked all of your utility skill slots, including your first elite skill. A certain level of profession mastery is therefore assumed. You'll also no doubt have experimented with several weapons (or kits, for engineers) available to your profession by that point, and understand the role each plays in your arsenal. You'll need this level of understanding and mastery to be successful.

The list of all dungeons and levels their Story/Explorable Modes are available is as follows:

•Ascalonian Catacombs – Level 30/Level 35
•Caudecus's Manor – Level 40/45
•Twilight Arbor – Level 50/55
•Sorrow's Embrace – Level 60/65
•Citadel of Flame – Level 70/75
•Crucible of Eternity - Level 80
•Honor of the Waves – Level 80
•Arah – Level 80
Story Modes can be conquered as soon as you are high enough level to enter them.

EXPLORABLE MODE

Explorable Modes are different beasts entirely. Explorable Mode dungeons are set after the events of Story Mode took place. You're essentially returning to the same dungeon in order to delve deeper into it and face more difficult and far deadlier evils. Each Explorable Mode offers 3 different paths that scale between easy, medium and hard difficulties, but even the easiest path is far more challenging than Story Mode. The assumption is that players will return here repeatedly to farm collectible armor sets and to experience each path.

The main point to keep in mind, and this is extremely important, is that Explorable Modes are considered part of the endgame content of Guild Wars 2. Since you'll always be scaled down appropriately to the level of the dungeon, and since loot drops scale up to your actual character level, they are just as viable to go back and play through at level 80 – regardless of the level you can first access them.

You unlock your first Explorable Mode at level 35 after you've cleared Ascalonian Catacombs on Story Mode. That said, just because you can enter it at that level doesn't mean you should. It all comes down to what kind of player you are. If you're seeking the ultimate challenge, then by all means, go right in. Beta or not, Explorable Mode Ascalonian Catacombs at the minimum level was tougher than most raids I faced in other MMOs. I can only assume that others will follow the same pattern, and they aren't for the faint of heart or the easily discouraged.

Conversely, there is nothing wrong with treating Explorable Modes like endgame. Giving yourself a few extra levels as a buffer before heading in will help. Sure, you'll still be scaled down to the appropriate level, but a level 40 who is scaled down to 35 is always going to be more powerful than a fresh level 35. This small advantage could be the difference between an enjoyable experience and a frustrating one in the early dungeons.

My advice for most players is to look at the minimum level you can access each Explorable Mode, and add a few levels to it (where possible) before entering. Obviously this won't be possible for the top tier of dungeons, but by then you'll hopefully be familiar enough with the difficulty spike that you'll be prepared for it.

Collecting gear sets from these dungeons is one of the activities ArenaNet expects players to engage in as endgame. They'll scale the difficulty accordingly. Understanding what you're in for up front will help you get the most out of the experience. We'll see you in game soon!

Mr. Grey

I started playing last night...pretty fun game. I like the quest/event concept...watering some farmer's corn? ha!

I really want to try the WvW thing, but the queue is ridiculously long on the server our guild decided to play on.
Autokrator lives

frunk

Quote from: Martinus on September 06, 2012, 03:02:05 AM
Wouldn't it be better to go to a lower level area that you haven't explored yet (e.g. another race's starting area)?

Dwarven Keys only drop in Dreadhaunt Cliffs, it's an event, soulbound item.  As it turned out I only needed one not six.  The grinding that I did consisted of wandering around in some areas I hadn't really explored, fighting to get to a treasure chest I had just missed out on before, and killing a giant barracuda.  All told not really grindy at all.

Martinus

Quote from: frunk on September 06, 2012, 09:57:40 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 06, 2012, 03:02:05 AM

Dwarven Keys only drop in Dreadhaunt Cliffs, it's an event, soulbound item.  As it turned out I only needed one not six.  The grinding that I did consisted of wandering around in some areas I hadn't really explored, fighting to get to a treasure chest I had just missed out on before, and killing a giant barracuda.  All told not really grindy at all.

Ah ok I thought you just wanted to grind for xp. :)

frunk

Quote from: Martinus on September 06, 2012, 10:23:45 AM
Ah ok I thought you just wanted to grind for xp. :)

Yeah, I'd never, ever grind for xp in this game.  There's too many fun things to do.  I can definitely see grinding for crafting items, although right now I prefer to use the (finally up) trading post.

Grallon

I created a number of characters, having more fun in the creation process than in the game itself so far.  I find moving around choppy and clumsy as hell - as if it had been designed for a console rather than a PC.  But perhaps I'm missing something.  So far I tried only the Norn (female) and the humans.  I have no interest in any of the other manga style races - especially the pokemon thingy.  Why is it there's always that type of ludicrous midgets in every game?  Kids appeal?

Anyhow I'll try an engineer now - perhaps it'll be more interesting.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grallon

Ok I'm impressed - walking the streets of Divinity's reach is breathtaking.  And I realized holding both mouse buttons make you move ... :nelson:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grey Fox

Quote from: Grallon on September 06, 2012, 01:40:12 PM
Ok I'm impressed - walking the streets of Divinity's reach is breathtaking.  And I realized holding both mouse buttons make you move ... :nelson:

G.

Yes. How did you move in WoW? Click to move?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 06, 2012, 01:40:52 PM

G.

WASD
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on September 06, 2012, 01:52:49 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 06, 2012, 01:40:52 PM

G.

WASD

That's like the arrows, no? In WoW they were both mapped by default.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

G.

Yeah, thats why I said use a mouse... ;)

katmai

So recieved an email this morning asking me if I wanted to authorize a log in attempt from China to my account. :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

frunk

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 06, 2012, 01:54:29 PM

That's like the arrows, no? In WoW they were both mapped by default.

Same with GW2.  It's not like they reinvented anything here.