News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Guild Wars 2 Roll Call

Started by Martinus, August 13, 2012, 08:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

They do in a default purple. I was just disparaging the Ducks in attempt to say hi.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

Quote from: katmai on September 08, 2012, 02:15:08 AM
They do in a default purple. I was just disparaging the Ducks in attempt to say hi.

I will be sure to mention the UW - LSU game Saturday evening or Sunday if you are around.

Martinus

Just finished my first dungeon run - wow it is tough. And supposedly the story mode is supposed to be easier.

It was nearly 2 hours, mainly bosses. The level of difficulty reminded me of WoW raids, only that you have 5 people.

I like how the "story mode" idea lets them do a lot of cutscenes/lore on the first run and on first run only, as otherwise it would grow tedious, the way some of the stuff in WoW was.

sbr

Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2012, 03:09:13 AM
Just finished my first dungeon run - wow it is tough. And supposedly the story mode is supposed to be easier.

It was nearly 2 hours, mainly bosses. The level of difficulty reminded me of WoW raids, only that you have 5 people.

I like how the "story mode" idea lets them do a lot of cutscenes/lore on the first run and on first run only, as otherwise it would grow tedious, the way some of the stuff in WoW was.

Which dungeon?

Martinus

Quote from: sbr on September 08, 2012, 03:20:48 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2012, 03:09:13 AM

Which dungeon?

Ascalon Catacombs.

Jaron

I didn't have much time to play, but so far this game seems pretty run of the mill and not at all impressive. What's the hook here for you guys?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Grallon

Run of the mill is the word piglet dear.  It's yet another WoW wannabe.  However they did improve on WoW - at least on what it was when I left it almost 3 years ago.  It seems to me all the 'services' have been streamlined (bank, shared storage between toons of a same account, waypoints an such).  I quite like the impromptu events you can join without having to queue forever (I'm talking about the open map events).  Mind you I retain my intense dislike for group instances so I'll probably never go there.  But the best thing about this game is how they've made it lifelike: it's vast, it's varied, it's heavily populated - at least in the human areas.  And Divinity's Reach is simply amazing.  Never before have I seen a game where you have the impression of being in another world as much as in this one.

Of course at the end of the day all there is to do is fight - which doesn't have a long replay value in my book.  The crafting, like in WoW or LotRO is nothing but an adjunct to the killing.  There isn't any other path you can take (as opposed to merchants or explorers in Uncharted Waters for instance).  All you do is kill things - which is why I mentioned grinding above.  You have daylies, monthlies and so forth.  The central quest, depending on your origins chosen at character creation (neat that - but too little of them) is somewhat interesting but once you've done it once I imagine it'll become stale fast.

I can't believe this game has been launched what?  3 weeks ago?  And I've seen several lvl 80s already...  Some people have no life.  :P

Incidentally, how does one emote (dancing, laughing and such)?

Oh and I enjoy the fact you can dye your clothing at will.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Martinus

Grallon

I can't possibly see what could be funny.  ;)

EDIT: I just got  'Pride Dye' from a drop :lol:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

frunk

Most of the early 80s were crafters.  They'd get their guild members to feed them resources and they'd crank out items.  It isn't that difficult to do almost all crafting as long as you have a way to get resources.

The non-story game is built around exploring.  There's significant rewards for completing the exploration of a map, and the number of hidden or difficult to get to areas is large.  I think there's at least two on each map, and some have many more.

Emotes are done with
/dance
/laugh

Here's the current list.

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on September 08, 2012, 05:34:39 PM
I can't possibly see what could be funny.  ;)

EDIT: I just got  'Pride Dye' from a drop :lol:

G.

You are awfully misinformed. But then you are acting like that with respect to everything, so that's not a surprise.

sbr

Leveling Jeweler from 25-50 is rather tiresome.  There are only 2 recipes and only a couple of gemstones to use.  The discovery doesn't get you very far then you just have to continually make those few items over and over again.

Syt

Oddly enough, I rather enjoy the story quests. Your character creation choices influence the quest chain (I had three choices for my character: got drunk and don't remember anything, got drunk and got in a fight or that I had a lifelong rival). I went with the "got drunk, passed out" thing, so I'm now trying to hunt down a war machine I and my Charr drinking buddies "lost" while being blitzed. Then there's the occasional branch in the quests where you can choose how to proceed.

It's certainly not Shakespeare, but the mechanics and the way those quests are scripted are better than what Bioware served in SWTOR.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: sbr on September 08, 2012, 11:10:33 PM
Leveling Jeweler from 25-50 is rather tiresome.  There are only 2 recipes and only a couple of gemstones to use.  The discovery doesn't get you very far then you just have to continually make those few items over and over again.

I have about 6 or eight recipes - 4 different gemstones (garnet, amber, turquoise, opal?) and ring/earring recipes for each. But yeah, it's tiringly slow.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

Quote from: Syt on September 08, 2012, 11:17:44 PM
Quote from: sbr on September 08, 2012, 11:10:33 PM

I have about 6 or eight recipes - 4 different gemstones (garnet, amber, turquoise, opal?) and ring/earring recipes for each. But yeah, it's tiringly slow.

Yep ring and earring is all you can make until level 50.  There are 5 gemstones (Garnet, Amber, Pearl, Turquiose, Tiger Eye) that you can use up to 50 so there are 10 total recipes.  Once I had discovered all 10 I was only level 37 or something.